Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Comparison of 2 files in UNIX Post 302145348 by Dana Evans on Wednesday 14th of November 2007 02:00:25 AM
Old 11-14-2007
Hey bakunin n kahuna
thanks a ton
i think i got to change my codes n look for other approach

as pointed by both of u rightly
"Also, normally SQL queries do not guarantee the order of records unless the order by clause is used. So, without order by, the same query executed twice could, theoretically, return the same records in two totally different orders."

there is no guarantee that order of records would be same ...

so simply matching row wise ... would not generate desired result

ll get back with new set of codes

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix comparison

I am very new to Unix. What are the similiarities and differences between ScoUnix and AIX5 if any? Where might i find the information? Which is better? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NewGuy100
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparison of 2 files

Kindly help on follows. I have 2 files. One file contains only one column of mobile numbers. And total records in a file 12 million. Second file contains 2 columns mobile numbers and balance. and total records 30 million. I want to find out balance of each data in file 1 corresponding to file 2.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamal_418
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of two files (sh)

Hi, I have a problem with comparison of two files file1 20100101 20090101 20080101 20071001 20121229 file2 19990112 12 456 7 20011131 19 20100101 2 567 1 987 17890709 123 555 and, sh script needs to compare of these two files and give out to me result: 20100101 2 567 1 987 it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shizik
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparison of 2 files using unix or awk

Hello, I have 2 files and I want them to be compared in a specific fashion file1: A_1200_1250 A_1251_1300 B_1301_1350 B_1351_1400 B_1401_1450 C_1451_1500 and so on... file2: 1210 1305 1260 1295 1400 1500 1450 1495 Now The script should look for "1200" from A_1200_1250 of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of two files

Hi all I have two files which I have to compare that whetehr there is soemthing common or not body, div, table, thead, tbody, tfoot, tr, th, td, p { font-family: "Liberation Sans"; font-size: x-small; } body, div, table, thead, tbody, tfoot,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File comparison in UNIX columnwise

Hi all, I want to compare two files with same number of rows and columns with records in same order. Just want to highlight the differences in the column values if any. file A 1,kolkata,19,ab 2,delhi,89,cd 3,bangalore,56,ef file2: 1,kolkata,21,ab 2,mumbai,89,gh 3,bangalore,11,kl... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhat.diwaker
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison between two files through UNIX script

Hi All , As I am new to unix scripting ,I need a help regarding unix scripting .I have two .txt files .One is source file and another is target file.I need a script through which I can compare those two files.I need a automated comparison report in a directory after comparing between source &... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: STCET22
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help regarding comparison between two files through UNIX script

Hi All , I am aware of unix command ,but not comforable in putting together in script level.I came to situation where I need to compare between two .txt files fieldwise and need a mismatch report. As I am new to unix script arena ,if anyone can help in the below scenario that will be really... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: STCET22
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX file comparison

I have two files which has component name and version number separated by a space cat file1 com.acc.invm:FNS_PROD 94.0.5 com.acc.invm:FNS_TEST_DCCC_Mangment 94.1.6 com.acc.invm:FNS_APIPlat_BDMap 100.0.9 com.acc.invm:SendEmail 29.6.113 com.acc.invm:SendSms 12.23.65 cat file2 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshtomar82
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of files

I have the requirement I have two files cat fileA something anythg nothing everythg cat fileB everythg anythg Now i shld use fileB and compare every line at fileA and get the output as something nothing (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
3 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - differential file comparator SYNOPSIS
diff [ -efbh ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Diff tells what lines must be changed in two files to bring them into agreement. If file1 (file2) is `-', the standard input is used. If file1 (file2) is a directory, then a file in that directory whose file-name is the same as the file-name of file2 (file1) is used. The normal output contains lines of these forms: n1 a n3,n4 n1,n2 d n3 n1,n2 c n3,n4 These lines resemble ed commands to convert file1 into file2. The numbers after the letters pertain to file2. In fact, by exchanging `a' for `d' and reading backward one may ascertain equally how to convert file2 into file1. As in ed, identical pairs where n1 = n2 or n3 = n4 are abbreviated as a single number. Following each of these lines come all the lines that are affected in the first file flagged by `<', then all the lines that are affected in the second file flagged by `>'. The -b option causes trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) to be ignored and other strings of blanks to compare equal. The -e option produces a script of a, c and d commands for the editor ed, which will recreate file2 from file1. The -f option produces a similar script, not useful with ed, in the opposite order. In connection with -e, the following shell program may help maintain multiple versions of a file. Only an ancestral file ($1) and a chain of version-to-version ed scripts ($2,$3,...) made by diff need be on hand. A `latest version' appears on the standard output. (shift; cat $*; echo '1,$p') | ed - $1 Except in rare circumstances, diff finds a smallest sufficient set of file differences. Option -h does a fast, half-hearted job. It works only when changed stretches are short and well separated, but does work on files of unlimited length. Options -e and -f are unavailable with -h. FILES
/tmp/d????? /usr/lib/diffh for -h SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), ed(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no differences, 1 for some, 2 for trouble. BUGS
Editing scripts produced under the -e or -f option are naive about creating lines consisting of a single `.'. DIFF(1)