Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Filesystem from scratch
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Filesystem from scratch Post 302145341 by matrixmadhan on Wednesday 14th of November 2007 01:16:23 AM
Old 11-14-2007
Filesystem from scratch

Hey,

Had anyone tried with writing a new FS - file system ( whether its useful or not, that doesn't matter ) ?

I tried one couple of years ago, but that was a fatal failure Smilie and can't continue working on it since then. Smilie

Anybody got some experience with writing file system from the scratch.

Sorry if am deviating from the original topic of the thread.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

An X Window System from scratch

I'm currently using Gnome as my desktop environment (DE) but it's going kind of slow. My friend gave me the advice to skip the DE and only use a Window Manager. I took his suggestion one step further and decided to try building an X window system from scrath instead. But what are the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: J.P
3 Replies

2. Linux

Linux From Scratch

LFS (Linux From Scrath) it's tools for make own distribution. U know how create own distribution ?? thanks cYa (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kezzol
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix from scratch

hi all, i'm trying to write a unix system from scratch (not re-writing the kernel) does anyone have information about that? tips and stuff...?i would appreciate every help, thnks :) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setup a printer on Linux from scratch, everything to do

I am a beginner in Unix. I have redhat linux running in a dell work station. my question is how can I setup a printer using the command line so that I can use the command lp filename to print, how can I define the printer name? my printer is HP laserjet connected to network Edit/Delete Message (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: docaia
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Setup a printer on Linux from scratch

I am a beginner in Unix. I have redhat linux running in a dell work station. my question is how can I setup a printer using the command line so that I can use the command lp filename to print, how can I define the printer name? my printer is HP laserjet connected to network (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: docaia
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Building from scratch - UNIX

Hi! Any knows if Unix (from IBM, Sun, HP, etc) is picky on hardwares? I mean, installing Unix (not Linux) on a custom build system? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: genesisX
2 Replies

7. Programming

Terminal emulator from scratch.

I wanna write a terminal emulator program from scratch. I downloaded the sources of xterm but they are too complex... I did not found any documentation on the Internet, so I asking you where I have to start. I learnt only C, and I have the basics of GTK library. Thanks for any reply. (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
22 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hwo to find shared filesystem and local filesystem in AIX

Hi, I wanted to find out that in my database server which filesystems are shared storage and which filesystems are local. Like when I use df -k, it shows "filesystem" and "mounted on" but I want to know which one is shared and which one is local. Please tell me the commands which I can run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
2 Replies

9. AIX

Mount Filesystem in AIX Unable to read /etc/filesystem

Dear all, We are facing prolem when we are going to mount AIX filesystem, the system returned the following error 0506-307The AFopen call failed : A file or directory in the path name does not exist. But when we ls filesystems in the /etc/ directory it show -rw-r--r-- 0 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies
pthread_rwlock_wrlock(3C)												 pthread_rwlock_wrlock(3C)

NAME
pthread_rwlock_wrlock, pthread_rwlock_trywrlock - lock or attempt to lock read-write lock object for writing SYNOPSIS
cc -mt [ flag... ] file... -lpthread [ library... ] #include <pthread.h> int pthread_rwlock_wrlock(pthread_rwlock_t *rwlock); int pthread_rwlock_trywrlock(pthread_rwlock_t *rwlock); The pthread_rwlock_wrlock() function applies a write lock to the read-write lock referenced by rwlock. The calling thread acquires the write lock if no other thread (reader or writer) holds the read-write lock rwlock. Otherwise, the thread blocks until it can acquire the lock. The pthread_rwlock_trywrlock() function applies a write lock like the pthread_rwlock_wrlock() function, with the exception that the func- tion fails if any thread currently holds rwlock (for reading or writing). Writers are favored over readers of the same priority to avoid writer starvation. See pthread_rwlock_rdlock(3C). Results are undefined if any of these functions are called with an uninitialized read-write lock. If a signal is delivered to a thread waiting for a read-write lock for writing, upon return from the signal handler the thread resumes waiting for the read-write lock for writing as if it was not interrupted. If successful, the pthread_rwlock_wrlock() function returns 0. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error. The pthread_rwlock_trywrlock() function returns 0 if the lock for writing on the read-write lock object referenced by rwlock is acquired. Otherwise an error number is returned to indicate the error. The pthread_rwlock_wrlock() function will fail if: EDEADLK The current thread already owns the read-write lock for writing or reading. The pthread_rwlock_trywrlock() function will fail if: EBUSY The read-write lock could not be acquired for writing because it was already locked for reading or writing. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pthread_rwlock_init(3C), pthread_rwlock_unlock(3C), pthread_rwlockattr_init(3C), pthread_rwlock_rdlock(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) 23 Mar 2005 pthread_rwlock_wrlock(3C)