Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to implement SIGKILL and SIGTERM and print a message? Post 302144736 by jim mcnamara on Friday 9th of November 2007 12:36:01 PM
Old 11-09-2007
Porter is right about keeping things simple in a signal handler. But there is more - do not call most routines in the standard C library - as Porter points out fflush() is one of them.

If you absolutely must do I/O use write(). The idea is that you call something that cannot be interrupted by another signal - this is called an atomic operation.

write() is "partially" guaranteed to be atomic, but is as close as you'll get. POSIX says write() must guarantee a write the size of PIPE_BUF bytes or smaller to be atomic. There are other I/O system calls that are like this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

signals - SIGTERM

Hi all, I need some urgent help. we are using Dynix/ptx V4.5 on i386, have several processes and instances are running on the box round the clock.we increased the processes recently. We have coded to handle the signals in our programs. Recently, we noticed most of our processes are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddyb
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why SIGKILL will occur?

Hi Gurus, I am executing my Datastage jobs on UNIX operating System. While running the jobs i am getting the following error: main_program: Unexpected termination by Unix signal 9(SIGKILL) Can any one please let me know what are the possible situations where this SIGKILL will arrise? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: choppas
9 Replies

3. Solaris

To print Coloured Prelogin Message on SOLARIS--9................

Hiiii..... Every one...... I am using /etc/issue file to display Pre-login Message on my system, installed with SOLARIS-9. I am getting this Message in White fonts having Black background ( Colour of the Screen)..... So, is there ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashantshukla
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while trying to print message

Hi all Geting this error while trying to print message as : ./logfunc: print: bad file unit number heres what i m trying to do : log_date="$(date '+%d/%m/%Y %H:%M:%S')" log_type="Message" print "${log_date}: ${log_type}" print -u3 "${log_date}: ${log_type}" this error is due to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navatha
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a message at specific line on prompt

Hi Friends, I am using HP-UNIX(ksh). I want to print a message at specific line on the prompt screen. For Example: for num in 1 10 3 145 do echo $num // need to print this on the same line for each number sleep 2 done Actual Output: ========== 1 10 3 145 Expected Output:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Niroj
5 Replies

6. Solaris

SIGQUIT and SIGKILL message

Dear All, I have machine with SunOS 5.10 Generic_138888-01 sun4v sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5120. Yesterday there is something at dmesg command : May 25 18:09:02 cacao_launcher: Timeout occured on heartbeat channel, cleanup engaged May 25 18:09:07 cacao_launcher: watchdog : warning,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbah_jiman
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to detect SIGTERM,SIGKILL signal in UNIX

Dear All We have JBOSS server running on Linux we need to track Graceful Shutdown(SIGTERM) and Forceful Shutdown(SIGKILL) timestamp and write it into one file, I am new to UNIX Signal processing if is it possible how to detect it? We generally do $kill PID For Graceful... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SIGSTOP and SIGKILL

Which is sent to a terminal when it closes? SIGKILL? Reason I ask is I have a script I want to run in the background, but want it to run even if the terminal window is closed. Or, I'd like it to background itself if the terminal is closed but not if its running in an open window. I will learn how... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DC Slick
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Print message while using sqlplus

I want to connect to oracle database from solaris... After that i will drop and create a no.of tables.One of the table example is as below. sqlplus -s usrname/password@dbname << SQL >> $logfile 2>&1 echo " dropping the table1" | tee logfile DROP TABLE Table1 echo "creating the table1" |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: millan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check the string in a file and print an attribute in the message

Hi, I am new to shell scripting and got a task to complete. Task is : we have a log file where in i need to traverse through the whole file to check the string "Person Type missing in message" and after that i need to get EMPLID=xxxxxx from the file and print details in a different file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suren424
1 Replies
fclose(3S)																fclose(3S)

NAME
fclose(), fflush(), fclose_unlocked(), fflush_unlocked() - close or flush a stream SYNOPSIS
Obsolescent Interfaces DESCRIPTION
causes any buffered data for the named stream to be written out, and the stream to be closed. Buffers allocated by the standard input/out- put system may be freed. is performed automatically for all open files upon calling exit(2). If stream points to an output stream or an update stream in which the most recent operation was output, causes any buffered data for the stream to be written to that file; otherwise any buffered data is discarded. The stream remains open. If stream is a null pointer, performs this flushing action on all currently open streams. Obsolescent Interfaces and close or flush a stream. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, and return 0. Otherwise, they return EOF and set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If or fails, is set to one of: The flag is set for the file descriptor underlying stream and the process would be delayed in the write operation. The file descriptor underlying stream is not valid. An attempt was made to write a file that exceeds the process's file size limit or the maximum file size (see ulimit(2)). or was interrupted by a signal. The process is in a background process group and is attempting to write to its controlling terminal, is set, the process is neither ignoring nor blocking the signal, and the process group of the process is orphaned. There was no free space remaining on the device containing the file. An attempt was made to write to a pipe that is not open for reading by any process. A signal is also sent to the process. Additional values may be set by the underlying and functions (see write(2), lseek(2) and close(2)). WARNINGS
and are obsolescent interfaces supported only for compatibility with existing DCE applications. New multithreaded applications should use and SEE ALSO
close(2), exit(2), lseek(2), write(2), flockfile(3S), fopen(3S), setbuf(3S), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
fclose(3S)