Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting reading from a file and pass as variables and ignore # in the file Post 302144395 by Lakris on Thursday 8th of November 2007 12:21:53 AM
Old 11-08-2007
try using

Quote:
echo "${x}.ksh ${y}" |grep -v ^#
instead. Not the most elegant way perhaps...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading file names from a file and executing the relative file from shell script

Hi How can i dynamically read files names from a list file and execute them from a single shell script. Please help its urgent Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushilrai
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading variables from a file

Hi, Could anyone help me in understanding what I am missing.. I have a text file with the following info. INFILE=> #Name Variable=<value> #--------------------------------- name1 inargs="-a Filename1.$VAR.csv -f Filename2.$VAR.csv -c File.c" name1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ttshell
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading variables from CSV file

Hi I am using KSH and trying to read variables from a csv file. I've set the IFS=, and it workds. Problem is where one of the values is text containing a comma. For example the following lines exist in my file. How can I read everything between the quotes into a single variable? APW13812,,1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ventris
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass variables to a Unix script from a file

Hi, I am running a Java program from a unix script. I need to pass a variable to the Java code from a file. Here are teh details: cat Parm <<this is my Parameter file>> queuename=queue1 and my shell script is : #!/bin/ksh . ./Parm /opt/java1.5/bin/java -classpath ./java.jar... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sangharsh
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading variables from a file

Hi, I have an issue that hope someone will be able to help me with.... I'm using a while-read loop to read lines from a file that contain variables, and I want the variables substituted, but I can't get it to work - the below example with explain: while read line do echo $line ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndyG
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Reading a file and assigning variables from file

I have a file that has four values on each line and I'd like to give each column a variable name and then use those values in each step of a loop. In bash, I believe you could use a while loop to do this or possibly a cat command, but I am super new to programming and I'm having trouble decoding... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccorder22
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore single or multiple lines between /* and */ while reading from a file in unix?

I have a file proc.txt: if @debug = 1 then message 'Start Processing ', @procname, dateformat(now(*), 'hh:mm:ss'), @julian type info to client; end if; /* execute immediate with quotes 'insert into sys_suppdata (property, value, key_name) location ''' || @supp_server || '.' ||... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kidncute
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to ignore multiline comment from a file while reading it

Hi friends , I want to ignore single and multiline comment( enclosed by " \* *\" ) of a file whle reading it. I am using the below code. nawk '/\/\*/{f=1} /\*\//{f=0;next} !f' proc.txt | while read str do ... done The problem is its working partially. that is its failing in one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neelmani
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to pass variables to s3cmd in a script file

Hi All, How to pass the variable to s3cmd put command? I'm trying to use this command in a script as below: s3cmd put ${upload_path} s3://${upload_dest} where With the above command in script, the file is not getting uploaded. Please help!!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pass variables from a text file to a shell script

Hi, I have a text file as follows: a.txt ------ STEPS=3 STEP_DURATION=100 INTERVAL=60 I want to use these values in a shell script. How to go about this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akarnya
3 Replies
suspend(1)							   User Commands							suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)