Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers OS X - problems reassigning rights to new shortname Post 302144187 by porter on Tuesday 6th of November 2007 03:36:43 PM
Old 11-06-2007
You should also be able to use "chown" with the numeric id.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Groups Rights

I just created a group. How do i make the groups read only to a specific file systems.(home directory). (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: niasdad
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

reassigning key functions in super user mode

At my old job the TAB key was used in Super User mode rather than the default of the ESC key. I was wondering how to reassign the TAB key so that it acquires the functions of the ESC key. Thanks for the help. -Shana (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lehcar511
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod rights issue?

I want to grant the 'write' right to one user so they can delete log files in a given directory. These are http log files, so a new one is created each day. The file owner is 'nobody'. If I use the command 'chmod a=rwx *' will this work for the new files created each day. I've tried the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Westy564
7 Replies

4. HP-UX

User rights

I wan to create a user e.g. Tom. whenever a file is created by user Tom or FTP is done using user as Tom, the rights on the file should be 777 (by default). how can I achieve this. Please help. Its very urgent. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharmavr
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix access rights

Hi, Is it true that if I am not the root I can not select access permissions to a file that I own so that my friend (who also isn't the root) can access that file? And is it true that the only way to accomplish it is to ask the root to "put" my friend into "my" group? Then I could simply set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rudo
1 Replies

6. Solaris

FTP rights

How can I prevent some users from using FTP? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Burhan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] reassigning referenced variables in functions

Hello all, Problem. ---------- I'm trying to reassign a referenced variable passed to a 'local' variable in a function but the local variable refuses to be assigned the content of the referenced variable. Any ideas would be appreciated. Objective. ----------- Eliminate all $VAR... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ASGR
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

deleting ubuntu partition and reassigning unallocated

I realize this is more a gparted concern, but am having a user name problem and not getting in to their forum. My spouse is reaching a critical space issue in XP and needs to recapture the assigned Ubuntu space to windows. I can delete it easy enough with gparted live CD, but am lost with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 77yrold
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access Rights

Hello Guru, I have very unique requirement , need some help. I have one folder created in one the server A. In this folder , the file getting uploaded from some java based page. then i am calling scp through key file, which works fine in another folder of server B. Currently , what i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u263066
2 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

user rights

good evening .. I have a plea, who I can help me with a management application user rights on the files in a Unix / Linux I need for college .. .. and not told us no clue .. thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex90
1 Replies
chown(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						 chown(1B)

NAME
chown - change owner SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/chown [-fR] owner[.group] filename... DESCRIPTION
chown changes the owner of the filenames to owner. The owner can be either a decimal user ID (UID) or a login name found in the password file. An optional group can also be specified. The group can be either a decimal group ID (GID) or a group name found in the GID file. In the default case, only the super-user of the machine where the file is physically located can change the owner. The system configura- tion option {_POSIX_CHOWN_RESTRICTED} and the privileges PRIV_FILE_CHOWN and PRIV_FILE_CHOWN_SELF also affect who can change the ownership of a file. See chown(2) and privileges(5). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -f Do not report errors. -R Recursively descend into directories setting the ownership of all files in each directory encountered. When symbolic links are encountered, their ownership is changed, but they are not traversed. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of chown when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). FILES
/etc/passwd Password file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
chgrp(1), chown(2), group(4), passwd(4), attributes(5), largefile(5), privileges(5) SunOS 5.10 21 Jun 2004 chown(1B)