Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Append using awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Append using awk Post 302143808 by radoulov on Sunday 4th of November 2007 04:32:01 AM
Old 11-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynon
[...]
But i don;t really understand this portion of the code " /^** QQQ[^ ]*R1 .* 2007$/ " .
It's a regular expression that matches the records that
begin with ** (^ anchors the beginning of the line)
followed by QQQ, then [^ ]* means zero or more occurrences
of characters other than a space: "^" as the first character
after the "[" indicates character(s) except those
in square brackets, followed by a literal R1, space and
zero or more occurrences of any character followed by
a space and 2007 at the end of the line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to append into array thru awk

hey champs, i have variable as field_dtls, which has values like CLIENT ID|FAMILY NAME|MIDDLE NAME|FIRST NAME|COUNTRY NAME|ADDRESS|NATIONAL ID|PASSPORT NUMBER so, echo "$field_dtls" CLIENT ID|FAMILY NAME|MIDDLE NAME|FIRST NAME|COUNTRY NAME|ADDRESS|NATIONAL ID|PASSPORT NUMBER but i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

use awk to append values

Hi, I have a file like this: tag1:value1 tag2:value2 tag3:value3 tag1:value1 tag2:value2 tag3:value3 tag1:value1 tag2:value2 tag3:value3 and what i want is: value1 value2 value3 value1 value2 value3 (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickrick
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk append to one line if first field is the same

Hi all, How would I append the second field each time to one line if the first field is the same for example I have this data: 10430,187976 10430,251588 10430,262904 10430,275008 10430,279892 10430,275008 10430,303740 10430,318136 10430,336988 10430,350324 10430,373648 And I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append using SED/AWK

Hi friends, I have a file with content SOME TEXT HERE I want to append the string GREAT to Line 1 of my file such that the file content should be GREAT SOME TEXT HERE I can do a cat for the string great and file >> newfile and then rename newfile name to file But this does not put... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dahlia84
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do I append new lines to awk variable?

I want to build an array using awk, consisting only of a subset of lines of a file. I know how to have awk assess whether a key phrase is in a particular line, but I can't find anywhere how to then append the line containing that phrase to an array that has previously-found lines also containing... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pts2
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

awk if/substring/append help

Hi All, I need some help with an awk command: What I'm trying to do is append "MYGROUP: " to text with the substring "AT_" the input file follows this format: AT_xxxxxx Name1 Name2 AT_xxxxxx NameA NameB I want the output to be: MYGROUP: AT_xxxxx Name1 Name2 MYGROUP:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bikecraft
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to append data to a file

Hi I search for certain values in a file across many directories using the following awk code awk '/Sl.*thickness/ {Sl=$3;Tt=$NF}END{print Sl, Tt}' DILAT.DAT What I would like to do is write out Sl and Tt obtained from these files from many directories to a single file. So for example if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Append new elements to an array

Hi all, I'm dealing with a bash script to merge the elements of a set of files and counting how many times each element is present. The last field is the file name. Sample files: head -5 *.tab==> 3J373_P15Ac1y2_01_LS.tab <== chr1 1956362 1956362 G A hom ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsantome
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match and append - awk

ALL, Please help with this ... File1 000433,ds00d11,tdev,ds00d11_view,0CD3 000433,ds00d12_34,tdev,ds00d12_view,132D File2 CG01_ds00d11_drs,rs1_ds00d11_0CD3_114D,000433,0CD3 CG01_ds00d11_drs,rs1_ds00d11_0CD3_114D,000566,114D ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: greycells
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Append header with awk

I have to append the header (ie "START OF LINE") to a file only if there is data in it. Below command is showing header though there is no data in a file, can you suggest how to correct.. awk '{NR!=0} BEGIN{print "START OF LINE"}; {print}' file (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
3 Replies
MATCH(1L)						      Schily's USER COMMANDS							 MATCH(1L)

NAME
match - searches for patterns in files SYNOPSIS
match [ -option ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Match searches the named files or standard input (if no filenames are given) for the occurrences of the given pattern on each line. The program accepts literal characters or special pattern matching characters. All lines that match the pattern are output on standard output. You can only specify one pattern string for each match, however, you can construct an arbitrarily complex string. When you do not specify a file, match can be used as a filter to display desired lines. Standard in is used if no files are specified. OPTIONS
-not, -v Prints all lines that do not match. -i Ignore the case of letters -m Force not to use the magic mode -w Search for pattern as a word -x Display only those lines which match exactly -c Display matching count for each file -l Display name of each file which matches -s Be silent indicate match in exit code -h Do not display filenames -n Precede matching lines with line number (with respect to the input file) -b Precede matching lines with block number REGULAR EXPRESSIONS
The following is a table of all the pattern matching characters: c An ordinary character (not one of the special characters discussed below) is a one character regular expression that matches that character. c A backslash () followed by any special character is a one character regular expression that matches the special character itself. The special characters are: ! # % * { } [ ] ? ^ $ ! Logical OR as in match this!that!the_other. You may have to use `{}' for precedence grouping. # A hash mark followed by any regular expression matches any number (including zero) occurrences of the regular expression. ? Matches exactly any one character. W? matches Wa, Wb, Wc, W1, W2, W3 ... * Matches any number of any character. % Matches exactly nothing. It can be used in groups of ored patterns to specify that an empty alternative is possible. {} Curly brackets may be used to enclose patterns to specify a precedence grouping, and may be nested. {%!{test}}version matches the strings testversion and version. [string] A non empty string of characters enclosed in square brackets is a one character regular expression that matches any one character in that string. If however the first character of the string is a circumflex (^), the one character expression matches any character which is not in the string. The ^ has this special meaning only if it occurs first in the string. The minus (-) may be used to indi- cate a range of consecutive ASCII characters; for example, [0-9] is equivalent to any one of the digits. The - loses it's special meaning if it occurs first (after an initial ^, if any) or last in the string. The right square bracket (]) and the backslash () must be quoted with a backslash if you want to use it within the string. ^ Matches the beginning of a line. $ Matches the end of a line. (^*$ matches any entire line) EXAMPLES
FILES
None. SEE ALSO
grep(1), fgrep(1), egrep(1) DIAGNOSTICS
NOTES
Even if a match occurs more than once per line, the line is output only once. Quote special pattern matching characters to prevent them from being expanded by the Command Interpreter. BUGS
The length of the pattern is currently limited to 100 characters. This limit is reduced by 38 if the -w option is used. Joerg Schilling 15. Juli 1988 MATCH(1L)