Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wierd results with awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Wierd results with awk Post 302143501 by amatheny on Thursday 1st of November 2007 04:51:02 PM
Old 11-01-2007
Wierd results with awk

Hey, I'm trying to use awk for some simple file manipulations but i'm getting soem wierd results.

So i want to open up a file which looks like this:

@relation 'autoMpg'
@attribute a numeric
@attribute b numeric
@attribute c numeric
@data

and remove everything except the data, with tabs delimiting the values.

I'm using the following awk script.

gawk ' {OFS="\t"} data { print $1 $2 $3} /@data/ {data = 1} ' autoMpg-3d.arff > tmp.dat

However, no matter what value I enter for OFS, I still always get output like this:

with commas delimiting the values.

Does anyone know whats going on here?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

store awk results in a variable

I try to get the month (of last save) and the filename into a variable, is this possible ? something like this : for month in `ls -la | awk '{print $6}'` do if ] then a=filename of the matching file cp $a /Sep fi thanks, Steffen (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forever_49ers
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - no search results

Hi all, I'm new to awk and I'm experiencing syntax error that I don't know how to resolve. Hopefully some experts in this forum can help me out. I created an awk file that look like this: $ cat myawk.awk BEGIN { VAR1=PATTERN1 VAR2=PATTERN2 } /VAR1/ { flag=1 } /VAR2/ { flag=0 } {... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hk18
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a little help with results from awk

Hi there all, I am using a line to get some replys from my PS I do ps -ef |awk '{printf $9}' But my result is 1 big line. No spaces between the lines or someting for example:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: draco
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Env setup script givin wierd results

I have a script that setsup the environmental variables and then goes on to ftp a file . The scripts which does is as follows The script runs fine when i run it in my home dir and goes on to ftp the file.. But when the same file is run as a batch job in Control-M(a job scheduling software... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hareeshkumaru
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of AWK Results

In the following line The AWK statement parses through a listing for files and outputs the results using the {print} command to the screen. Is there a way to (a) send the output to a file and (b) actually perform a cp cmd to copy the listed files to another directory? ls | awk -va=$a -vb=$b... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdburg
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through awk results

I have files structured in stanzas, whose title is '', and the rest couples of 'id: value'. I need to find text within the title and return the whole stanzas that match the title. The following works: awk 'BEGIN{RS="";IGNORECASE=1}/^\/' myfileI would need to count all of the occurences, though,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hermes14
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to display some special results with AWK

I have a file like this: AAEQGAGNQPQH,,,,160,32,,,, AAGQDYNSPLH,,712,39,,,,,, AAGREGGNTEAF,26,,,,,,,,4 AAGSPQH,,,,8,5,,,, AAKKLGQFYNEQF,4,,6,,,7,,,2 AANSGGRYNEQF,,2747,3120,,,,,, AAQGGVGGELF,,,,5,,12,36,, AAQGLAGYYEQY,,25,13,,,,,, AAQRGNEQF,510,2,,,6,,6,,76 AAQTGENSPLH,,16,16,,,,,, The... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute from awk results

Hi, The following awk command : asmcmd lsdg | awk '{print $13;}' | grep -i ${SID} return the following output . An Empty line + two lines contain "/" at the end of the line INDEVDATA/ INDEVFRA/ I need to remove the "/" as well as the empty line. Please advise Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoav
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing certain lines from results - awk

im using the code below to monitor a file: gawk '{ a += gsub("(^| )accepted( |$)", "&") a += gsub("(^| )open database( |$)", "&") } END { for (i in a) printf("%s=%s\n", i, a) }' /var/log/syslog the code is searching the syslog file for the string "accepted" and "open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk parse snmp results

i run the command snmptable -v2c -c public myIP IF-MIB::ifTable the result look like this : SNMP table: IF-MIB::ifTable ifIndex ifDescr ifType ifMtu ifSpeed ifPhysAddress ifAdminStatus ifOperStatus 1 Unit: 1 Slot: 0 Port: 1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wanttolearn1
7 Replies
SLAPO-VALSORT(5)						File Formats Manual						  SLAPO-VALSORT(5)

NAME
slapo-valsort - Value Sorting overlay to slapd SYNOPSIS
/etc/ldap/slapd.conf DESCRIPTION
The Value Sorting overlay can be used with a backend database to sort the values of specific multi-valued attributes within a subtree. The sorting occurs whenever the attributes are returned in a search response. Sorting can be specified in ascending or descending order, using either numeric or alphanumeric sort methods. Additionally, a "weighted" sort can be specified, which uses a numeric weight prepended to the attribute values. The weighted sort is always performed in ascending order, but may be combined with the other methods for values that all have equal weights. The weight is specified by prepending an integer weight {<weight>} in front of each value of the attribute for which weighted sorting is desired. This weighting factor is stripped off and never returned in search results. CONFIGURATION
These slapd.conf options apply to the Value Sorting overlay. They should appear after the overlay directive. valsort-attr <attribute> <baseDN> (<sort-method> | weighted [<sort-method>]) Configure a sorting method for the specified attribute in the subtree rooted at baseDN. The sort-method may be one of alpha-ascend, alpha-descend, numeric-ascend, or numeric-descend. If the special weighted method is specified, a secondary sort-method may also be specified. It is an error to specify an alphanumeric sort-method for an attribute with Integer or NumericString syntax, and it is an error to specify a numeric sort-method for an attribute with a syntax other than Integer or NumericString. EXAMPLES
database bdb suffix dc=example,dc=com ... overlay valsort valsort-attr member ou=groups,dc=example,dc=com alpha-ascend FILES
/etc/ldap/slapd.conf default slapd configuration file SEE ALSO
slapd.conf(5), slapd-config(5). ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
This module was written in 2005 by Howard Chu of Symas Corporation. The work was sponsored by Stanford University. OpenLDAP 2012/04/23 SLAPO-VALSORT(5)