Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Unable to open files in VI editor Post 302143197 by ennstate on Wednesday 31st of October 2007 04:22:13 AM
Old 10-31-2007
Unable to open files in VI editor

Hi,
I unable to open any file using Vi editor,constantly getting the following error,

HTML Code:
vi log.log
*** glibc detected *** malloc(): memory corruption: 0x081af510 **
uname -a
Linux sekac092 2.6.5-7.244-bigsmp #1 SMP Mon Dec 12 18:32:25 UTC 2005 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Also Note
ls -l /usr/bin/vi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2007-08-10 13:53 /usr/bin/vi -> vim*

Pls provide ur thoughouts

Thanks
Nagarajan G

Last edited by ennstate; 10-31-2007 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: Note Added

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give permissions to an open file in vi editor?

Hi all, I have a shell script that i started editing, only in the midst of which i tried to save the changes i found that the file wasnt been provided with write/execute permissions. I later have redone the changes and saved the file- Just curious to know if there was any command wherein... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pankajakshan
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

getting error when open vi editor

helo I install my product for koren language I m uisng RHEL -4 operating system now problem is whenever I open any file vi filename I got following error on the screen E557: Cannot open termcap file 'vt100' not known. Available builtin terminals are: builtin_ansi ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to open file in VI Editor at a specific line?

i have following query e.g i want the VI Editor cursor at line number N instead of 0 while opening the file from unix prompt. vi filename ?????? Can anyone help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi editor will not open new to UNIX. help please.

vi: syntax error at line 1: `)' unexpected when I try to vi into the /etc/vfstab, the return gives me the above error. how can resolve this so that I can have access into vi. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dovestar
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to read .csv file until open in vi editor

Hi, I am facing a problem regarding .csv file, my script does not read .csv file and if i open this file in vi editor and perform :wq option then only my script reads the .csv file. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranabhavish
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to check if a file is open in editor?

Hi there! I'm developing a program that allows the user to open and edit files using both an editor and the terminal. Once the user has finished editing the file an update is sent to the logbook that compares the file before and after it was edited - this can only be done if the file is closed (I... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: cherryTango
23 Replies
MEDIT(1)						      General Commands Manual							  MEDIT(1)

NAME
medit - text editor SYNOPSIS
medit [OPTION]... [FILES] DESCRIPTION
medit is a text editor. OPTIONS
-n, --new-app run new instance of medit. By default medit opens FILES (or creates a new document if none are given) in an existing instance of application -s, --use-session[=yes|no] load and save session. By default medit does it when -n is not used. If this option is not given on command line then medit uses the corresponding preferences setting. --pid PID use existing instance with process id PID. --app-name NAME use instance name NAME. If an instance with this name is already running, then it will send files given on the command line to that instance and exit. -e, --encoding ENCODING use provided character encoding to open the file -l, --line LINE open file and position cursor on line LINE. Alternatively line number may be specified with filename, e.g. medit foo.txt:12 -r, --reload automatically reload opened file if it was modified on disk by another program. -w, --new-window open file in a new window. -t, --new-tab open file in a new tab. --log-file FILE write debug output into FILE. This option is only useful on Windows. --log-window show debug output in a log window. This option is only useful on Windows. --debug DOMAINS enable debug output for DOMAINS (if medit was compiled with --enable-debug option). --geometry WIDTHxHEIGHT --geometry WIDTHxHEIGHT+X+Y default window size and position. -h, --help show summary of options. -v, --version show program version. FILES list of files to open. Filenames may include line numbers after colon, e.g. /tmp/file.txt:200. Trailing colon is ignored. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
MEDIT_PID if set, it is used as --pid argument. When medit spawns a process (e.g. a DVI viewer) it sets MEDIT_PID to its own process id, so the child process may in turn simply use 'medit filename' to open a file (e.g. for inverse DVI search). CONTACT
http://mooedit.sourceforge.net/contact.html AUTHOR
Written and maintained by Yevgen Muntyan <emuntyan@users.sourceforge.net> September 2010 MEDIT(1)