Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Advance string pattern search Please Post 302143088 by sainj on Tuesday 30th of October 2007 10:56:09 AM
Old 10-30-2007
Yogesh.. Thanks for the reply..

any_1_char mean = > it can be Y or N or 1 etc
any_2_char means => it can be 18, 21, 01.. etc

So for the follwing 'AK*any_1_char*any_2_char*510', I am using regular expression. Like below.

find . -name AJ128\* -exec /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -il -E 'AK\*N\**\*510' {} \; | wc -l

But it was not working.

1. And I want to retrieve all file names with all the conditions
2. And I want to retrieve total no of files with all the conditions

Thanks for the help..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Mulitiple String pattern in a file

Hi, I need to search for a multiple string pattern(5 key words) in a file(similar to a flat file) ,and i need to store the output in a another file . In that file we may have mutiple occurrences of the key words.and i need only the unique. kindly help out. Thanks, Mohana Krishnan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnan_6015@y
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search pattern in a string and rename

Hi All, I have a string assigned to a variable. the string will be a filename. Something like below: file=testfile.dat.20009080_{arc}_2004809090 I need to check if the filename has a pattern like "_{arc}_" and if so I have to rename the file like below mv... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakgang
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search for a pattern a string?

Hi all, I'm new in UNIX , so how to check if stringA is present within stringB ? Something similar to INSTR function in pl sql... Thanks a lot. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leo_NN
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign the Pattern Search string as Input Variable

guys, I need to know how to assing pattern matched string as an input command variable. Here it goes' My script is something like this. ./routing.sh <Server> <enable|disable> ## This Script takes an input <Server> variable from this line of the script ## echo $1 | egrep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk search for string pattern in delimited file

I've got a semicolon delimited file. I would like to search for fields that match a pattern, and not hardcoded eg "mth". *th=something If the delimited field fulfills this condition, eg. mth=value I would like to print out both key and value for some number comparison. eg. if value > "12"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alienated
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advance search using sed/awk/perl

Hi, I have a file with more than 50,000 lines of records and each record is 50 bytes in length. I need to search every record in this file between positions 11-19 (9 bytes) and 32-40 (9 bytes) and in case any of the above 2 fields is alpha-numeric, i need to replace the whole 9 bytes of that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikionline
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern in a String file and count the occurance of each pattern

I am trying to search a file for a patterns ERR- in a file and return a count for each of the error reported Input file is a free flowing file without any format example of output ERR-00001=5 .... ERR-01010=10 ..... ERR-99999=10 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for Pattern as output between the matched String

Hello, I have a file which has the below contents : VG_name LV_name LV_size in MB LV_option LV_mountpoint owner group y testdg rahul2lv 10 "-A y -L" /home/abc2 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively?

Hi, How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively? What I tried: find . -type f -exec cat {} | grep "make" \; Output: grep: find: ;: No such file or directory missing argument to `-exec' And this: find . -type f -exec cat {} \; -exec grep "make" {} \;... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search a string inside a pattern matched block of a file

How to grep for searching a string within a begin and end pattern of a file. Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Baishali
8 Replies
whereis(1)						      General Commands Manual							whereis(1)

NAME
whereis - locate source, binary, and/or manual for program SYNOPSIS
dir... name... DESCRIPTION
locates source, binary, and manuals sections for specified files. The supplied names are first stripped of leading path name components and any (single) trailing extension of the form (such as Prefixes of resulting from use of SCCS are also dealt with. then attempts to locate the desired program in a list of standard places. Options recognizes the following command-line options: Limit search to binary files. Can be used in conjunction with or Limit search to source-code files. Can be used in conjunction with or Limit search to manual entry files. Can be used in conjunction with or Search for unusual entries. A file is said to be unusual if it does not have one entry of each requested type. Thus, searches for those files in the current directory that have no corresponding manual entry. Limit search to binaries located in one or more specified directories. Can be used in conjunction with or Limit search to source files located in one or more specified directories. Can be used in conjunction with or Limit search to manual entry files located in one or more specified directories. Can be used in conjunction with or Terminates the last directory list or options) and identifies the start of file names. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
Find all the files in that are not documented in with source files in WARNINGS
uses the system call (see chdir(2)) to run faster. Therefore, path names given with the and options must be absolute path names. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
whereis(1)