Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How many NICS do I have?
Operating Systems Solaris How many NICS do I have? Post 302142817 by blowtorch on Monday 29th of October 2007 09:29:16 PM
Old 10-29-2007
You should also be able to do this:
ifconfig -a plumb

This will plumb all available interfaces. You can later unplumb ones that you do not need.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac addresses of NICs (why are they the same)

I am training to be support on our solaris based network and was wondering why solaris seems to assign the same mac address to all NICs placed in the machine regardless of how many NICs are in there, when i do a ifconfig -a all nics have same MAC. Presumably this is a feature and there is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

2. AIX

Merge NICs

Hi friends, I installed oracle 10g (10.2.0.2) RAC on 2 IBM p5 570 servers running AIX 5.3ML04 and HACMP5.2 (used Raw devices, not used GPFS). Each server has 4 x 1Gbps ethernet cards (NICs), en0 and en1 for boot address, en2 and en3 for oracle interconnect. Now i want to merge 2 NICs (en2 and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bong02
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

FreeBSD and two NICs

FreeBSD 4.8, Apache 1.3.27 - two NICs, one with a real-world IP plugged into a switch outside the PIX firewall, the other with a private IP plugged into a switch inside the PIX firewall. Apache listens on both IPs. my domain is mydomain.org. so in /etc/rc.conf i have something like this (these... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ednix
10 Replies

4. Linux

Two NICs one IP address

I'm looking for a way in RHL 5.1 to use two NICs on one host with two physical IP addresses and map them under one virtual IP address, i.e. NIC 1 10.10.10.1 NIC2 10.10.10.2 VIP 192.168.10.1 Basically I want either one of the NICs to ARP for the VIP. No load balancing required just HA. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wschmied
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Problems with 2 NICS and Apache

I have a Solaris 10 box that has 2 Ethernet connections. One is 172.21.0.150, this is on the main internal LAN. The other is 172.16.0.50 this is the DMZ. I have Apache 2.0.59, I do not care which it Listens to but the main one for it is 172.16.0.50 (DMZ) which I have been explicit (Listen... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crowman
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find about NICs installed

Hi; Is there a way to determine for sure how many NIC ports installed on my Linux box? I tried to run "lspci" but not sure about the results, it's not clear. Below are the results when i run both "ifconfig" & "lspci" on my Linux box i hope someone can help me finding the actual numbers of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katkota
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

how to combine nics for DM Multipath

I don't undestand how to combine 4 nics in order to use DM Multipath. Do I have to install each nic with its IP address? If yes, do I need a group IP address? This concept is not clear for me. The connection beetwen the server (DELL Poweredge T710) and the SAN through iscsi works well, I used... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gnupinux
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Redirect to same port two NICs?

Dear members, I have to problems ; First ; I need to setup two NICs for a Solaris 10 server. But I could not do that unless giving different names in /etc/hosts file. like : 10.1.1.1 testsolaris1 10.3.1.1 testsolaris2 Second ; After solving first problem I have to setup my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadowfaxxxx
3 Replies

9. IP Networking

Networking 2 NICs

Hi all, Host - Ubuntu 12.04 desktop 64bit Virtualizer - Oracle VirtualBox 2 NICs Where can I find relevant document to set up 2 NICs, one for inward bound and another for outward bound, separate channel, both connected to the same router Would following document be appropriate for my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satimis
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux with two NICs

Hello All, I have Linux box with two interface cards. Every card has it's own IP Address and Gateway, IP addresses are from different subnets. eth0 192.168.1.10/24 GW 192.168.1.1 eth1 192.168.2.10/24 GW 192.168.2.1 Third PC is located in 192.168.13.0/24 network and is trying to access... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndreiM
2 Replies
inet_type(4)							   File Formats 						      inet_type(4)

NAME
inet_type - default Internet protocol type SYNOPSIS
/etc/default/inet_type DESCRIPTION
The inet_type file defines the default IP protocol to use. Currently this file is only used by the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. The inet_type file can contain a number of <variable>=<value> lines. Currently, the only variable defined is DEFAULT_IP, which can be assigned a value of IP_VERSION4, IP_VERSION6, or BOTH. The output displayed by the ifconfig and netstat commands can be controlled by the value of DEFAULT_IP set in inet_type file. By default, both commands display the IPv4 and IPv6 information available on the system. The user can choose to suppress display of IPv6 information by setting the value of DEFAULT_IP. The following shows the possible values for DEFAULT_IP and the resulting ifconfig and netstat output that will be displayed: IP_VERSION4 Displays only IPv4 related information. The output displayed is backward compatible with older versions of the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. IP_VERSION6 Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. BOTH Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. The command-line options to the ifconfig and netstat commands override the effect of DEFAULT_IP as set in the inet_type file. For example, even if the value of DEFAULT_IP is IP_VERSION4, the command example% ifconfig -a6 will display all IPv6 interfaces. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Suppressing IPv6 Related Output This is what the inet_type file must contain if you want to suppress IPv6 related output: DEFAULT_IP=IP_VERSION4 SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), netstat(1M) SunOS 5.11 16 Jun 1999 inet_type(4)