Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Why is my buffer empty in vi? Post 302142624 by cookiebooy on Sunday 28th of October 2007 04:47:18 PM
Old 10-28-2007
Why is my buffer empty in vi?

this question is probably trivial to most of you but i do not have the answer.

the task is simple...
yank 7 lines of text from one file and paste them to another

so while in command mode i enter
"b7yy and i get 7 lines yanked
exit vi with :q!
open the new file
while in command mode i type "bp then i get buffer b is empty

whats the deal? why isnt the 7 lines getting yanked into my buffer?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

About Buffer

Hi, if someone now how can look the last commands has used for last week? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Niko
1 Replies

2. Programming

buffer the output

Hai Friends I am writing a cgi program in C. The CGI program has a link to start my tcp chat server... The tcp chat server prints some information when it starts... I have captured the informations and sent to the client browser through the cgi program... But the output is displayed all... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: collins
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

buffer question

Hi... I have a question about how many lines the window can remember... is there an environemtn varible for this I can change??? I'm not talking about how many previous commands it remembers. I am talking about how many lines it remembers and for how many lines I can press "page-up" and I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lmanchur.
4 Replies

4. Linux

Buffer IO error

Hi guys, Currently i have a IBM x366 running on Red Hat 4 attached to a DS4800. I've configured 10 LUNs to the server. Somehow, there is a lot buffer io error on device whenever it boot and when i issue the command dmesg. My kernel is 2.6.9-22.ELsmp. I've updated the hba qla2300 firmware to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raybakh
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find empty folders without using -empty

hi all: my solaris FIND does not support find myFolder -type d -empty how can i find the empty folders? thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lasse
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting same exit status for empty and non empty file

Hi All, I am checking for a empty input file to do some further action , but I am getting exit status 0 in both the cases , for empty and non empty file both. The value of $? is coming 0 in if part also and else part too. #!/bin/ksh if ]; then echo "data" # exit 0 echo "$?" else... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

expect_out(buffer) empty

I have only some info into my buffer, but after a rssi command I see the folowing lines expected into buffer but not present : rssi=-106 rssi=-109 I see in my buffer only the first part of the output, here you are a part of script : #!/usr/bin/expect -f #global expect_out match_max 10000000... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ugobale
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Empty buffer when is full

Hello everyone! This is the situation: I execute this command from a bash script: telnet 10.99.246.14 6001 >> output.txt The question is: How I do to execute this command and empty the buffer when is full? The script is always running. Thanks a lot! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbasystem
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi next buffer

Hello, I am using vi to edit file vi filea :e fileb and :e# to switch between filea and fileb Now, I'd like to have many files open at the same time and have a way to cycle between them. :bn does not work; when I type it, nothing happens... Is there something to add to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JCR
1 Replies

10. Programming

buffer in C

Hello, size_t write(int fd, const void *buf, size_t count) { static size_t (*write_func)(int, const void *, size_t) = NULL; if (!write_func) write_func = (size_t(*)(int, const void *, size_t)) dlsym(RTLD_NEXT, "write"); char tmp; memcpy(tmp,buf,count); ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
3 Replies
QUIZ(6) 							 BSD Games Manual							   QUIZ(6)

NAME
quiz -- random knowledge tests SYNOPSIS
quiz [-t] [-i file] [question answer] DESCRIPTION
The quiz utility tests your knowledge of random facts. It has a database of subjects from which you can choose. With no arguments, quiz displays the list of available subjects. The options are as follows: -t Use tutorial mode, in which questions are repeated later if you didn't get them right the first time, and new questions are presented less frequently to help you learn the older ones. -i Specify an alternative index file. Subjects are divided into categories. You can pick any two categories from the same subject. quiz will ask questions from the first cate- gory and it expects answers from the second category. For example, the command ``quiz victim killer'' asks questions which are the names of victims, and expects you to answer with the cause of their untimely demise, whereas the command ``quiz killer victim'' works the other way around. If you get the answer wrong, quiz lets you try again. To see the right answer, enter a blank line. Index and Data File Syntax The index and data files have a similar syntax. Lines in them consist of several categories separated by colons. The categories are regular expressions formed using the following meta-characters: pat|pat alternative patterns {pat} optional pattern [pat] delimiters, as in pat[pat|pat]pat In an index file, each line represents a subject. The first category in each subject is the pathname of the data file for the subject. The remaining categories are regular expressions for the titles of each category in the subject. In data files, each line represents a question/answer set. Each category is the information for the question/answer for that category. The backslash character (``'') is used to quote syntactically significant characters, or at the end of a line to signify that a continuation line follows. If either a question or its answer is empty, quiz will refrain from asking it. FILES
/usr/share/games/quiz The default index and data files. BUGS
quiz is pretty cynical about certain subjects. BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD