Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Reason for Segmentation fault Post 302142296 by andryk on Thursday 25th of October 2007 09:47:58 AM
Old 10-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalibrahim
The following program fails with "Segmentation fault" error message, while I try to run in Ubuntu (Debian) Linux m/c. It is not creating any core file, so I could not cross examine it with the debugger. See the comments for much better understanding. Could any one tell me the exact reason why the program is failing?

Code:
int main( ) {
    char *ch; (or) ch = 'A';   // but if it assigned to any string then no segmentation fault
    int *p = (int*) &ch[0];   // or &ch[1], &ch[2], .... ch;      but &ch runs fine
    printf("%c", *p);           // Segmentation Fault: only if you use this print statement 
}

Well, i would say you're attempting to print a char from some odd pointer value (ptr on ptr on stack, huh ?) you got from an uninitialized var which is char *ch and ... thus accessing outside your 'legal' space therefore the core.
You attending some security course on coding and braging about it or just goofing around Smilie lol me just joking

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

segmentation fault

hi all i'm trying to execute a c program under linux RH and it gives me segmentation fault, this program was running under unix at&t anybody kow what the problem could be? thanx in advance regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omran
2 Replies

2. AIX

Segmentation fault

Hi , During execution a backup binary i get following error "Program error 11 (Segmentation fault), saving core file in '/usr/datatools" Riyaz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rshaikh
2 Replies

3. Linux

Segmentation fault

Hi, on a linux Red HAT(with Oracle DB 9.2.0.7) I have following error : RMAN> delete obsolete; RMAN retention policy will be applied to the command RMAN retention policy is set to redundancy 2 using channel ORA_DISK_1 Segmentation fault What does it mean ? And the solution ? Many thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation Fault

Hi, While comparing primary key data of two tables thr bteq script I am getting this Error. This script is a shell script. *** Error: The following error was encountered on the output file. Script.sh: 3043492 Segmentation fault(coredump) Please let me know how to get through it. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: monika
5 Replies

5. Programming

segmentation fault

If I do this. Assume struct life { char *nolife; } struct life **life; // malloc initialization & everything if(life->nolife == 0) Would I get error at life->nolife if it is equal to 0. wrong accession? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joey
3 Replies

6. Programming

segmentation fault

What is segmentation fault(core dumped) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokult
1 Replies

7. Programming

Using gdb, ignore beginning segmentation fault until reproduce environment segmentation fault

I use a binary name (ie polo) it gets some parameter , so for debugging normally i do this : i wrote script for watchdog my app (polo) and check every second if it's not running then start it , the problem is , if my app , remain in state of segmentation fault for a while (ie 15 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
6 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Segmentation Fault

this is a network programming code to run a rock paper scissors in a client and server. I completed it and it was working without any error. After I added the findWinner function to the server code it starts giving me segmentation fault. -the segmentation fault is fixed Current problem -Also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: femchi
3 Replies

9. Programming

Segmentation fault

I keep getting this fault on a lot of the codes I write, I'm not exactly sure why so I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain the idea to me. For example this code #include <stdio.h> main() { unsigned long a=0; unsigned long b=0; int z; { printf("Enter two... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sizzler786
2 Replies

10. Programming

C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question.

Oddities with gcc, 2.95.3 for the AMIGA and 4.2.1 for MY current OSX 10.14.1... I am creating a basic calculator for the AMIGA ADE *NIX emulator in C as it does not have one. Below are two very condensed snippets of which I have added the results inside the each code section. IMPORTANT!... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies
SYNCPACKAGE(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SYNCPACKAGE(1)

NAME
syncpackage - copy source packages from Debian to Ubuntu SYNOPSIS
syncpackage [options] <.dsc URL/path or package name> DESCRIPTION
syncpackage causes a source package to be copied from Debian to Ubuntu. syncpackage allows you to upload files with the same checksums of the Debian ones, as the common script used by Ubuntu archive administra- tors does, this way you can preserve source files integrity between the two distributions. syncpackage will detect source tarballs with mismatching checksums, and can perform fake syncs. WARNING
The use of syncpackage --no-lp, which generates a changes file to be directly uploaded to the Ubuntu primary archive or a PPA, is discour- aged by the Ubuntu Archive Administrators, as it introduces an unnecessary window for error. This only exists for backward compatibility, for unusual corner cases (such as fakesyncs), and for uploads to archives other than the Ubuntu primary archive. Omitting this option will cause Launchpad to perform the sync request directly, which is the preferred method for uploads to the Ubuntu primary archive. OPTIONS
-h, --help Show help message and exit -d DIST, --distribution=DIST Debian distribution to sync from. Default is testing during LTS cycles, and unstable otherwise. -r RELEASE, --release=RELEASE Specify target Ubuntu release. Default: current development release. -V DEBVERSION, --debian-version=DEBVERSION Specify the version to sync from. -c COMPONENT, --component=COMPONENT Specify the component to sync from. -b BUG, --bug=BUG Mark a Launchpad bug as being fixed by this upload. -s USERNAME, --sponsor=USERNAME Sponsor the sync for USERNAME (a Launchpad username). -v, --verbose Display more progress information. -F, --fakesync Perform a fakesync, to work around a tarball mismatch between Debian and Ubuntu. This option ignores blacklisting, and performs a local sync. It implies --no-lp, and will leave a signed .changes file for you to upload. -f, --force Force sync over the top of Ubuntu changes. --no-conf Do not read any configuration files, or configuration from environment variables. -l INSTANCE, --lpinstance=INSTANCE Launchpad instance to connect to (default: production). --simulate Show what would be done, but don't actually do it. LOCAL SYNC PREPARATION OPTIONS
Options that only apply when using --no-lp: --no-lp Construct sync locally, rather than letting Launchpad copy the package directly. It will leave a signed .changes file for you to upload. See the WARNING above. -n UPLOADER_NAME, --uploader-name=UPLOADER_NAME Use UPLOADER_NAME as the name of the maintainer for this upload instead of evaluating DEBFULLNAME and UBUMAIL. This option may only be used in --no-lp mode. -e UPLOADER_EMAIL, --uploader-email=UPLOADER_EMAIL Use UPLOADER_EMAIL as the email address of the maintainer for this upload instead of evaluating DEBEMAIL and UBUMAIL. This option may only be used in --no-lp mode. -k KEYID, --key=KEYID Specify the key ID to be used for signing. --dont-sign Do not sign the upload. -d DEBIAN_MIRROR, --debian-mirror=DEBIAN_MIRROR Use the specified mirror. Should be in the form http://ftp.debian.org/debian. If the package isn't found on this mirror, syncpack- age will fall back to the default mirror. -s UBUNTU_MIRROR, --debsec-mirror=UBUNTU_MIRROR Use the specified Debian security mirror. Should be in the form http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu. If the package isn't found on this mirror, syncpackage will fall back to the default mirror. ENVIRONMENT
DEBFULLNAME, DEBEMAIL, UBUMAIL Used to determine the uploader (if not supplied as options). See ubuntu-dev-tools(5) for details. All of the CONFIGURATION VARIABLES below are also supported as environment variables. Variables in the environment take precedence to those in configuration files. CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
The following variables can be set in the environment or in ubuntu-dev-tools(5) configuration files. In each case, the script-specific variable takes precedence over the package-wide variable. SYNCPACKAGE_DEBIAN_MIRROR, UBUNTUTOOLS_DEBIAN_MIRROR The default value for --debian-mirror. SYNCPACKAGE_UBUNTU_MIRROR, UBUNTUTOOLS_DEBSEC_MIRROR The default value for --ubuntu-mirror. SYNCPACKAGE_KEYID, UBUNTUTOOLS_KEYID The default value for --key. SEE ALSO
requestsync(1), ubuntu-dev-tools(5) AUTHOR
syncpackage was written by Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@canonical.com> and Benjamin Drung <bdrung@ubuntu.com>. This manual page were written by Luca Falavigna <dktrkranz@ubuntu.com> Both are released under GNU General Public License, version 3. ubuntu-dev-tools June 2010 SYNCPACKAGE(1)