Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: size of char array in c
Top Forums Programming size of char array in c Post 302141935 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 23rd of October 2007 01:13:33 PM
Old 10-23-2007
Code:
#include <stdlib.h>

char *storage=NULL;
storage=malloc(num_of_bytes + 1);
if(storage==NULL)
{
     perror("memory error");
     exit(1);
}
/* play with storage here 
*/
free(storage);

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

size of a char devices

hi i want to write a simple io-benchmark for raw devices, especially for harddisks, vx-volumes and md-volumes on solaris. is there a unix system call to get the size of the device? the 'stat' system call reports the size for regaular files but not for block or devices. On Solaris the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guenter
2 Replies

2. Programming

char array problem

hello i have a program in C (Unix - SOlaris5.7), and i have the next question: i have a lot of char variable, and i want store their values in a char array. The problem is what i donīt know how to put the char variable's value into the array, and i don`t know how to define the array please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
4 Replies

3. Programming

char array

hi, I have variable like, char keyword = "TRANSPARENCY "; while passing this variable to some function, first character of variable becomes null, but rest of characters still exist. Why this happens or something wrong with declaration. Their is no error while compiling & running... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avadhani
2 Replies

4. Programming

CHAR Array - stuffed with values - with more size than it holds

Hi All I am simulating a problem in the production where i faced a situation. Please find the following example program which i simulated. #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> #include<string.h> int main() { char str1; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

5. Programming

Passing by value a char array

Hi I am passing or want to pass value of a char array, so that even thoug the called routine is changing the values the calling function should not see the values changed, meaning only copy should be passed Here is the program #include<iostream.h> #include<string.h> void f(char a); int... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkraj
5 Replies

6. Programming

Array of char

I'm doing some coding in C++ Want to have a long empty string like below const char ModMisfit :: DelStr = "\r \r"; However due to the long blank the line is very long. Is there any way to avoid this and keep the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
5 Replies

7. Programming

help with char pointer array in C

i have an array like #define NUM 8 .... new_socket_fd = accept(socket_fd, (struct sockaddr *) &cli_addr, &client_length); char *items = {"one", "two", "three", "four", "five", "six", "seven", "eight"}; char *item_name_length = {"3", "3", "5", "4", "4", "3", "5", "5"}; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

8. Programming

char array

cat int.c int main() { unsigned char wwn; wwn=50; wwn=00; wwn=53; wwn=30; wwn=08; wwn=09; wwn=82; wwn=17; printf("WWN: %02x:%02x:%02x:%02x:%02x:%02x:%02x:%02x\n ", wwn, wwn, wwn, wwn, wwn,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: powyama
8 Replies

9. Programming

Returning char array

I want to return a char array to the main() function, but its returning garbage value. #include<stdio.h> //#include<conio.h> #include<string.h> char* strtrmm(); int main() { char str1,c1; printf("\n Enter the string:"); gets(str1); //strtrmm(str1); printf("%s",strtrmm(str1));... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zinat
2 Replies
CAP_INIT(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       CAP_INIT(3)

NAME
cap_init, cap_free, cap_dup - capability data object storage management SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/capability.h> cap_t cap_init(void); int cap_free(void *obj_d); cap_t cap_dup(cap_t cap_p); Link with -lcap. DESCRIPTION
The capabilities associated with a file or process are never edited directly. Instead, working storage is allocated to contain a represen- tation of the capability state. Capabilities are edited and manipulated only within this working storage area. Once editing of the capa- bility state is complete, the updated capability state is used to replace the capability state associated with the file or process. cap_init() creates a capability state in working storage and returns a pointer to the capability state. The initial value of all flags are cleared. The caller should free any releasable memory, when the capability state in working storage is no longer required, by calling cap_free() with the cap_t as an argument. cap_free() liberates any releasable memory that has been allocated to the capability state identified by obj_d. The obj_d argument may identify either a cap_t entity, or a char * entity allocated by the cap_to_text() function. cap_dup() returns a duplicate capability state in working storage given by the source object cap_p, allocating any memory necessary, and returning a pointer to the newly created capability state. Once duplicated, no operation on either capability state affects the other in any way. When the duplicated capability state in working storage is no longer required, the caller should free any releasable memory by calling cap_free() with the cap_t as an argument. RETURN VALUE
cap_init() and cap_dup() return a non-NULL value on success, and NULL on failure. cap_free() returns zero on success, and -1 on failure. On failure, errno is set to EINVAL or ENOMEM. CONFORMING TO
These functions are specified in the withdrawn POSIX.1e draft specification. SEE ALSO
libcap(3), cap_clear(3), cap_copy_ext(3), cap_from_text(3), cap_get_file(3), cap_get_proc(3), capabilities(7) 2008-05-11 CAP_INIT(3)