Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to Extract string?
Top Forums Programming How to Extract string? Post 302141903 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 23rd of October 2007 09:47:56 AM
Old 10-23-2007
Code:
string s2 = s1.substr(4,3);

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to extract a portion of a string from the whole string

How to extract a portion of a string from a full string using unix. For example: Say source string is = "req92374923.log" I want only the numeric portion of the string say "92374923" how to do that in Unix. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ds_sastry
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a sub string from a main string

i need a shell program to extract a substring from a main string.. for eg:- main string is madhu.. sub string is mad o/p:- be mad. try to solve this one (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu.it
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in a file and extract another string to a variable

Hi, guys. I have one question: I need to search for a string in a file, and then extract another string from the file and assign it to a variable. For example: the contents of the file (group) is below: ... ftp:x:23: mail:x:34 ... testing:x:2001 sales:x:2002 development:x:2003 ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a string within a string using a pattern

hi all, i have a file name using the following pattern: PREFIX: AR SOURCE: LEGACY DATETIME: YYYYMMDD_HH24MISS SUFFIX: .txt sample filename: AR_LEGACY_20101104_105500.txt i want to extract the source which is LEGACY in this case. how do i do this using shell? thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extract string from main string and string comparison

continuing from my previous post, whose link is given below as a reference https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 consider there is create table commands in a file for eg: CREATE TABLE `Blahblahblah` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a string between 2 ref string from a file

Hi, May i ask if someone share some command for extracting a string between 2 ref string in a txt file My objective: i had a file with multiple lines and wants only to extract the string "watch?v=IbkAXOmEHpY" or "watch?v=<11 random character>", when i used "grep 'watch?=*' i got a results per... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a string from another string in UNIX

I have a string string="Please have a nice day and sleep well Replace_12123_31233_32134_12342 Good day" How do i replace "Replace_12123_31233_32134_1234" in the above string.?? Please help. Regards, Qwerty (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search String and extract few lines under the searched string

Need Assistance in shell programming... I have a huge file which has multiple stations and i wanted to search particular station and extract few lines from it and the rest is not needed Bold letters are the stations . The whole file has multiple stations . Below example i wanted to search... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Search for a string and to extract the string from the text

Hi Team I have an huge xml where i need to search for a ceratin numbers. For example 2014-05-06 15:15:41,498 INFO WebContainer : 10 CommonServicesLogs - CleansingTriggerService.invokeCleansingService Entered PUBSUB NOTIFY MESSAGE () - <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kannannair
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract every repeated string between two specific string?

Hello guys, I have problem with hpux shell script. I have one big text file that contains like SOH bla bla bla bla bla bla ETX SOH bla bla bla ETX SOH bla bla bla ETX What I need to do is save first SOH*BLA into file1.txt, save second SOH*BLA into file2.txt and so on.... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: sembii
17 Replies
bytes(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						bytes(3pm)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.16.3 2013-02-26 bytes(3pm)