Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK Merge Fields for Print Output Post 302141628 by bakunin on Saturday 20th of October 2007 08:17:11 PM
Old 10-20-2007
You where almost there already. Simply put together the output string step by step, using if(....)s to determine if you should put in the slashes or not. You will have to provide the field separators yourself, but that is easy, yes?:

Code:
/* somewhere in the middle of the code... */
output=""                                     // empty the output buffer

output=sprintf("%10s:", field1);              // first field, exactly 10 chars wide

if( field2 == "" && field3 == "" ) {
     output=sprintf("%s          :", output); // 10 blanks after the field1
} else {
     output=sprintf("%s %s / %s:", output, field2, field3); // otherwise "f2 / f3"
}
output=sprintf("%s%10s:", output, field4);    // add field 4 to output

...                                           // add many more fields the same way

printf("%s\n", output)                        // at last  put a newline char in and print it

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: How to merge duplicate lines and print in a single

The input file: >cat module1 200611051053 95 200523457498 35 200617890187 57 200726098123 66 200645676712 71 200744556590 68 >cat module2 200645676712 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: winter9
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk /nawk :: print the everything except the first and the last fields

format of file1 "file1.txt" 1 2 3 4 A B C XX YY ZZ AA WWW The output must contain except the first and last column the output must be 2 3 B YY ZZ AA (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: centurion_13
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: merge two files and replace some fields

Need some code tweak: awk 'END { for (i=1; i<=n; i++) if (f2]) print f2] } NR == FNR { f2 = $1] = $0 next } $1 in f2 { delete f2 }1' FS=, OFS=, 2.csv 1.csv > 3.csvfile 1.csv have: $1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7,$8,$9...... file 2.csv have: $1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u10
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print all the fields of record using awk

Hi, i want to generate print statement using awk. i have 20+ and 30+ fields in each line Now its priting only first eight fields print statement as output not all. my record is as shown below filename ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.nsn
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - print all fields except for last field

How do I print all the fields of a record except for the $(NF) field? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print 1st field and last 2 fields together and the rest of the fields after it using awk?

Hi experts, I need to print the first field first then last two fields should come next and then i need to print rest of the fields. Input : a1,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk,b1,b2 a2,acb,dfg,ghj,b3,c4 a3,djf,wdjg,fkg,dff,ggk,d4,d5 Expected output: a1,b1,b2,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge fields in a single file using awk ?

Hi, From a file, using: awk -F" " '{ if (NF == 6) print $1, $2, $3, $4, $5, $6; if (NF == 5) print $1, $2, $3, $4, $5; }' i printed out the required output. But i'm trying to merge the columns. Please look at the desired output. Any suggestions? Thanks Output: 00015 PSA1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: web2moha
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sort based on difference of fields and print all fields

Hi I have a file as below <field1> <field2> <field3> ... <field_num1> <field_num2> Trying to sort based on difference of <field_num1> and <field_num2> in desceding order and print all fields. I tried this and it doesn't sort on the difference field .. Appreciate your help. cat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newstart
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge two text files by two fields and mixed output

Hello, I'm back again looking for your precious help- This time I need to merge two text files with matching two fields, output only common records with mixed output. Let's look at the example: FILE1 56153;AAA0708;3;TEST1TEST1; 89014;BBB0708;3;TEST2TEST2; 89014;BBB0708;4;TEST3TEST3; ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: emare
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print even fields of file

Hello: I want to print out the even number of fields plus the first column as row identifiers. input.txt ID X1 ID X2 ID X3 ID X4 A 700 A 1200 A 400 A 1300 B 2000 B 1000 B 2000 B 600 C 1400 C 200 C 1000 C 1200 D 1300 D 500 D 600 D 200and the output is: output.txt ID X1 X2 X3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
3 Replies
curl_printf(3)							  libcurl Manual						    curl_printf(3)

NAME
curl_maprintf, curl_mfprintf, curl_mprintf, curl_msnprintf, curl_msprintf curl_mvaprintf, curl_mvfprintf, curl_mvprintf, curl_mvsnprintf, curl_mvsprintf - formatted output conversion SYNOPSIS
#include <curl/mprintf.h> int curl_mprintf(const char *format, ...); int curl_mfprintf(FILE *fd, const char *format, ...); int curl_msprintf(char *buffer, const char *format, ...); int curl_msnprintf(char *buffer, size_t maxlength, const char *format, ...); int curl_mvprintf(const char *format, va_list args); int curl_mvfprintf(FILE *fd, const char *format, va_list args); int curl_mvsprintf(char *buffer, const char *format, va_list args); int curl_mvsnprintf(char *buffer, size_t maxlength, const char *format, va_list args); char *curl_maprintf(const char *format, ...); char *curl_mvaprintf(const char *format, va_list args); DESCRIPTION
These are all functions that produce output according to a format string and given arguments. These are mostly clones of the well-known C- style functions and there will be no detailed explanation of all available formatting rules and usage here. See this table for notable exceptions. curl_mprintf() Normal printf() clone. curl_mfprintf() Normal fprintf() clone. curl_msprintf() Normal sprintf() clone. curl_msnprintf() snprintf() clone. Many systems don't have this. It is just like sprintf but with an extra argument after the buffer that specifies the length of the target buffer. curl_mvprintf() Normal vprintf() clone. curl_mvfprintf() Normal vfprintf() clone. curl_mvsprintf() Normal vsprintf() clone. curl_mvsnprintf() vsnprintf() clone. Many systems don't have this. It is just like vsprintf but with an extra argument after the buffer that specifies the length of the target buffer. curl_maprintf() Like printf() but returns the output string as a malloc()ed string. The returned string must be free()ed by the receiver. curl_mvaprintf() Like curl_maprintf() but takes a va_list pointer argument instead of a variable amount of arguments. To easily use all these cloned functions instead of the normal ones, #define _MPRINTF_REPLACE before you include the <curl/mprintf.h> file. Then all the normal names like printf, fprintf, sprintf etc will use the curl-functions instead. AVAILABILITY
These function will be removed from the public libcurl API in a near future. They will instead be made "available" by source code access only, and then as curlx_-prefixed functions. See lib/README.curlx for further details. RETURN VALUE
The curl_maprintf and curl_mvaprintf functions return a pointer to a newly allocated string, or NULL if it failed. All other functions return the number of characters they actually outputted. SEE ALSO
printf(3), sprintf(3), fprintf(3), vprintf(3) libcurl 7.12 30 April 2004 curl_printf(3)