Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ques regarding date command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ques regarding date command Post 302141574 by ghostdog74 on Friday 19th of October 2007 10:58:08 PM
Old 10-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomed47
i have couple of my assignment questions

What command results in adding today's date and time to the file yesterday.txt

What command results in creation of a new file named yesterday.txt that contains yesterday's date but no time
man date, use > to create files. (or >> )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ques

If a file is compressed, how can i uncompress on the fly using pipes(handling this in the shell script depending on the command line arguments passed to the script) ex: ex_pr.sh -d disable -f ex_pr_1212.log.Z (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Field separator Ques.

Hello... Im trying to use "- " as field separator... I used awk -F"- " '{print $3}' input_file ... but it's not working, it assumes that the field separator is "-" and not "- " ... Any ideas ?? :( Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahyaaa
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fsck ques

hy guys I got a ques I cant acess root, i tried to fsck it, but gets errors to read file systems. What steps do you take to recover the host before you see if there is any data corruption on the root drive? Regards Charneet (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: charneet
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Service ques

hi, Can someone tell me what commands do you use to start service back upin solaris ? Regards Charneet (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: charneet
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to obtain date and day of the week from `date` command

Hi, does anybody know how to format `date` command correctly to return the day of the week? Thanks -A I work in ksh.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get tomorrow,yesterday date from date Command

Hi I want to get tomorrow and yesterday date from date command. My shell is KSH and server is AIX. I tried several options, but unable to do. Please help on this. Regards Rajesh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshmepco
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX ques!! Ans URGENT!!

hello guys!! need 1 favour from u all.. Can u jst tell me the answers for these ques?? 1. ls - l _____ : command to return all files that end with single digit and those with TXT extension 2. ls -l report* _______ : command to return all files that start with the word RPT except those with LOG... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gan_7
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find week of the year for given date using date command inside awk

Hi all, Need an urgent help on the below scenario. script: awk -F"," 'BEGIN { #some variable assignment} { #some calculation and put values in array} END { year=#getting it from array and assume this will be 2014 month=#getting it from array and this will be 05 date=#... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaidhas
7 Replies

9. HP-UX

HP/UX command to pull file name/date based on date

HI, Can anyone tell me how to pull the date and file name separated by a space using the find command or any other command. I want to look through several directories and based on a date timeframe (find -mtime -7), output the file name (without the path) and the date(in format mmddyyyy) to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lnemitz
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

awk command in hp UNIX subtract 30 days automatically from current date without date illegal option

current date command runs well awk -v t="$(date +%Y-%m-%d)" -F "'" '$1 < t' myname.dat subtract 30 days fails awk -v t="$(date --date="-30days" +%Y-%m-%d)" -F "'" '$1 < t' myname.dat awk command in hp unix subtract 30 days automatically from current date without date illegal option error... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmarcus
20 Replies
TRASH-EMPTY(1)						      General Commands Manual						    TRASH-EMPTY(1)

NAME
trash-empty - Empty for Command line trash utility. SYNOPSIS
trash-empty [arguments] DESCRIPTION
Remove for ever any trashed file and trashed directory. This command is a part of trash-cli package that provides a command line interface trashcan utility compliant with the FreeDesktop.org Trash Specification. It remembers the name, original path, deletion date, and permis- sions of each trashed file. ARGUMENTS
To remove all trashed files, use 'emtpy-trash'. To remove files that have been in the trash more than a given number of days, use 'trash-empty x', 'x' representing the number of days. EXAMPLES
$ date Tue Feb 19 20:26:52 CET 2008 $ trash-list 2008-02-19 20:11:34 /home/einar/today 2008-02-18 20:11:34 /home/einar/yesterday 2008-02-10 20:11:34 /home/einar/last_week $ trash-empty 7 $ trash-list 2008-02-19 20:11:34 /home/einar/today 2008-02-18 20:11:34 /home/einar/yesterday $ trash-empty 1 $ trash-list 2008-02-19 20:11:34 /home/einar/today $ trash-empty $ trash-list <none> BUGS
Report bugs to http://code.google.com/p/trash-cli/issues AUTHORS
Trash was written by Andrea Francia <andreafrancia@users.sourceforge.net> and Einar Orn Olason <eoo@hi.is>. This manual page was written by Steve Stalcup <vorian@ubuntu.com>. Changes made by Massimo Cavalleri <submax@tiscalinet.it>. SEE ALSO
trash-put(1), trash-restore(1), trash-list(1), and the FreeDesktop.org Trash Specification at http://www.ramendik.ru/docs/trashspec.html. Both are released under the GNU General Public License, version 2 or later. TRASH-EMPTY(1)