Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Capturing Unix Traceroute data Post 302141528 by TivoliGUY on Friday 19th of October 2007 01:26:51 PM
Old 10-19-2007
Capturing Unix Traceroute data

Hi guys,

I need a way to capture the host on the next-to-last hop in a traceroute output.

The last output is the destination but I need to capture the router just before the last hop.

I can do this in perl but I'm not so sure about Shell...

I'm on AIX 5.3 using ksh

any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing previous date in UNIX

Hi All, Hope you can help me out here...This is what I'm doing: % date '+%y.%m.%d' 05.03.05 How can I tweak this so that it gives me the PREVIOUS date, more specifically: 05.03.04 Hope you all can help. Thanks!!! Vince (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomeldan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capturing some data from a file into a variable

I have a file with some values in a tab delimted format Eg: 'test' contains: a<tab>b<tab>c<tab>Trk_12345678 now i need to capture this value 'Trk_12345678' into a variable say 'x' and append that value of 12345678 to 12345679 and store is back to a new 'test1' file as : 'test1'... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiroh_1982
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing Data between first quote and next quote

I have input file like RDBMS FALIURE UTY8703 'USER_WORK.TEST' .HIghest return code '12' I want to parse data which comed between first quote till next quote USER_WORK.TEST can you please suggest how to do that (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorp_rahul23
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing Particular Data

Hi everyone! Can any one help me out regarding capturing relevant data from a file. For e.g, if i want to capture the comment written after "Prompt:" for a particular date, like for this case what would be the command to capture the tag written after "Prompt:" for Date: 2009-03-20. A... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: muhmsida
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing SQL O/P in Unix Script

Hi, I would like to run a job based on the output from the SQL output. Eg: Select count(*) from A ...if count(*) = 1 then execute the next step or else exit. Please advise. Thanks S (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyaranoid
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing data between patterns

Hii, Friends, I want your help in one of my problem. My problem is as follows. I have a flat file as follows (Just a sample) MHT011 01(DOT)8750707asdfas8609 03(DOT)ASD3453ASD 09(DOT)876JHT87 11(DOT)sfd324ert TTT077 01(MOB)876786klj897 06(MOB)876JHT87 07(MOB)sfd324ert... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
4 Replies

7. IP Networking

How to capturing packet data so i can see the Version, IHL, TOS, etc?

Helo Folks :) i had read an answer in this thread unixcom/programming/117551-calculate-ip-header-checksum-manually.html i need to know what the software name that was used to capturing packet data in a network, just like the packet's capture output that showed up in the thread. Thank you :)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: polutan
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

capturing data of nethogs

I have installed nethogs to see which process is sending load on the network. i would like to know how can i capture its data in a log file. Or is there is a unix command like script or tee which can help me to capture the data using cronjob (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshus1
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing selective data from a vcd file

Hi, This is a vcd file.A vcd file may have 'n' modules. 1) I need to capture the data in bold,i.e. the module names (shown in bold) 2) Also i need to capture the data inside each individual module,say for tst_bench_top ,i need to capture data from line 4 to line 20 ... I just want one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: veerabahu
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : not capturing all the data from excel sheet

Hi folks, I am working on assignment that captures all the records(2 columns one column contains names and other contain date of birth) from excel sheet stored in a directory and checks for current date and month. If it matches current date and month then the matched records are printed as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
1 Replies
TRACEPATH(8)						 System Manager's Manual: iputils					      TRACEPATH(8)

NAME
tracepath, tracepath6 - traces path to a network host discovering MTU along this path SYNOPSIS
tracepath [-n] [-b] [-l pktlen] destination [port] DESCRIPTION
It traces path to destination discovering MTU along this path. It uses UDP port port or some random port. It is similar to traceroute, only does not require superuser privileges and has no fancy options. tracepath6 is good replacement for traceroute6 and classic example of application of Linux error queues. The situation with IPv4 is worse, because commercial IP routers do not return enough information in icmp error messages. Probably, it will change, when they will be updated. For now it uses Van Jacobson's trick, sweeping a range of UDP ports to maintain trace history. OPTIONS
-n Print primarily IP addresses numerically. -b Print both of host names and IP addresses. -l Sets the initial packet length to pktlen instead of 65536 for tracepath or 128000 for tracepath6. OUTPUT
root@mops:~ # tracepath6 3ffe:2400:0:109::2 1?: [LOCALHOST] pmtu 1500 1: dust.inr.ac.ru 0.411ms 2: dust.inr.ac.ru asymm 1 0.390ms pmtu 1480 2: 3ffe:2400:0:109::2 463.514ms reached Resume: pmtu 1480 hops 2 back 2 The first column shows TTL of the probe, followed by colon. Usually value of TTL is obtained from reply from network, but sometimes reply does not contain necessary information and we have to guess it. In this case the number is followed by ?. The second column shows the network hop, which replied to the probe. It is either address of router or word [LOCALHOST], if the probe was not sent to the network. The rest of line shows miscellaneous information about path to the correspinding hetwork hop. As rule it contains value of RTT. Addition- ally, it can show Path MTU, when it changes. If the path is asymmetric or the probe finishes before it reach prescribed hop, difference between number of hops in forward and backward direction is shown following keyword async. This information is not reliable. F.e. the third line shows asymmetry of 1, it is because the first probe with TTL of 2 was rejected at the first hop due to Path MTU Discovery. The last line summarizes information about all the path to the destination, it shows detected Path MTU, amount of hops to the destination and our guess about amount of hops from the destination to us, which can be different when the path is asymmetric. SEE ALSO
traceroute(8), traceroute6(8), ping(8). AUTHOR
tracepath was written by Alexey Kuznetsov <kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru>. SECURITY
No security issues. This lapidary deserves to be elaborated. tracepath is not a privileged program, unlike traceroute, ping and other beasts of this kind. tracepath may be executed by everyone who has some access to network, enough to send UDP datagrams to investigated destination using given port. AVAILABILITY
tracepath is part of iputils package and the latest versions are available in source form at http://www.skbuff.net/iputils/iputils-cur- rent.tar.bz2. iputils-101006 03 May 2011 TRACEPATH(8)