Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting deleting pipes in a particular filed Post 302141445 by aajan on Friday 19th of October 2007 04:35:01 AM
Old 10-19-2007
TRY THIS OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cut -d'|' -f7,8 filename | tr -d '|'

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

PIPEs and Named PIPEs (FIFO) Buffer size

Hello! How I can increase or decrease predefined pipe buffer size? System FreeBSD 4.9 and RedHat Linux 9.0 Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filed substitution with awk

guys, I'm trying to 9k lines of the following: aaa aaa 1 1 1 to aaa aaa 1 01 1 Im pretty ignorant when it comes to subtituting fields using awk any help ? Tony (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tony3101
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i ignore rows with first filed NULL

I have a file to load in the table, and am using SQLLDR CONTROL FILE ----------------------- LOAD DATA INFILE 'sample.txt' APPEND INTO TABLE TEMP_LOAD FIELDS TERMINATED BY '|' TRAILING NULLCOLS (FIELD1,FIELD2,FIELD3) Now i have about 10,000 lines in the file FIELD1 in the table is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prash184u
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The LimitRequestBody filed in openSUSE 10.2

Because some program i have installed can not upload files bigger than some size as printing, the base got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes what that i need to do as written in the documentation of the program increase the value of a fileld called LimitRequestBody told that is in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tal
3 Replies

5. Linux

The LimitRequestBody filed in openSUSE 10.2

Because some program i have installed can not upload files bigger than some size as printing, the base got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes what that i need to do as written in the documentation of the program increase the value of a fileld called LimitRequestBody told that is in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tal
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed to edit nth filed

Hi all, I want to edit nth filed of a comma delimited line with some value. Can I use sed command to do this. Pls suggest me the command here. Thanks, Poova. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: poova
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add empty filed to record

hi i have record looks like below 1,US I want to add empty field to the record as below 1, , , ,US how i can do it using awk ? i tried with awk its not working awk '{ print $1", ,"$2 }' filename > file 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.cse
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk with mutliple filed separators

I try to trim a FTP log using awk, but the escape sequences does not work the way I want it. Input data Wed 3Oct10 21:48:00 - (002117) Sent file d:\ftp\home\tools\htmake.rar successfully (48.2 kB/sec - 40997 Bytes) Wed 3Oct10 22:25:46 - (002118) Sent file d:\ftp\files\main\oct\camera1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk multiple filed separators

There is an usual ifconfig output vlan30 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr inet addr:192.168.0.1 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr: 2407:4c00:0:1:aaff::1/64 Scope:Global inet6 addr: fe80::224:e8ff:fe6b:cc4f/64 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urello
1 Replies
CUT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CUT(1)

NAME
cut -- select portions of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file ...] cut -c list [file ...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cut utility selects portions of each line (as specified by list) from each file and writes them to the standard output. If no file argu- ments are specified, or a file argument is a single dash ('-'), cut reads from from the standard input. The items specified by list can be in terms of column position or in terms of fields delimited by a special character. Column numbering starts from 1. The list option argument is a comma or whitespace separated set of increasing numbers and/or number ranges. Number ranges consist of a num- ber, a dash ('-'), and a second number and select the fields or columns from the first number to the second, inclusive. Numbers or number ranges may be preceded by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from 1 to the first number. Numbers or number ranges may be followed by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from the last number to the end of the line. Numbers and number ranges may be repeated, over- lapping, and in any order. It is not an error to select fields or columns not present in the input line. The options are as follows: -b list The list specifies byte positions. -c list The list specifies character positions. -d delim Use the first character of delim as the field delimiter character instead of the tab character. -f list The list specifies fields, delimited in the input by a single tab character. Output fields are separated by a single tab character. -n Do not split multi-byte characters. -s Suppress lines with no field delimiter characters. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through unmodified. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of cut if the -n option is specified. Their effect is described in environ(7). EXAMPLES
Extract users' login names and shells from the system passwd(5) file as ``name:shell'' pairs: cut -d : -f 1,7 /etc/passwd Show the names and login times of the currently logged in users: who | cut -c 1-16,26-38 DIAGNOSTICS
The cut utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
paste(1) STANDARDS
The cut utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
A cut command appeared in AT&T System III UNIX. BUGS
The -c option is a synonym for the -b option, which causes incorrect behaviour in locales that support multibyte characters. When operating on fields (-f option is specified), cut does not recognise multibyte characters, and the delim character is recognised in the middle of multibyte sequences. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD