Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: handling a coredump on HP?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers handling a coredump on HP? Post 302141259 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 18th of October 2007 10:00:54 AM
Old 10-18-2007
The core file has program version info as well.
Code:
file /path/to/core

will verify you are looking at the correct core file.

And. No way should an app 'be expected' to dump core in production. If someone has deliberately written code that forces itself to core dump for debug reasons, okay. But that's development. Never production.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

coredump

i create one executed file (based on c language). when 1 try to executed the file, the result show me the bus error (coredump). can you help me to solve this problem. thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lala
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Set Up Coredump's

I am trying to set up coredumps on a server, I have enabled the coreadm, and have also set a path to whre the coredumps will go. I now need to set the ulimit , as this is set to 0. I made the change: ulimit -c 8192 but when I logged out and back in, it was set back to 0 again. I need to know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mzyvn6
1 Replies

3. Programming

Strncpy - coredump

haiu all what makes strncpy to coredump (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaysabari
0 Replies

4. Solaris

metainit gives coredump

SunOS unknown 5.9 Generic_118558-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-880 I'm trying to set up mirroring and am running into a problem: As you can see, I set up the metadb, but am getting a coredump when running metainit. I saw this through google, but don't know the validity of it. Any ideas? #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

coredump after every reboot

Every time I reboot our solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9 Generic_118558-19 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R) box, I get the messages below: # dmesg | grep dump Mar 24 12:39:55 hostname savecore: initial dump header corrupt Mar 24 12:39:55 hostname genunix: dump on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s1 size 700 MB Mar 24... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xnightcrawl
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

how to read coredump on RHEL

Hi All, I just wondering how can we read core files (core.****). I have an appication, when it is trying to crash I got the coredump. since it is in binary format, I dont know how to read that. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s_linux
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Need help on Bus error(coredump)

Hi all, I am quite weak in C but I need to get some work done. Hope someone can help me out. I keep getting this error when i try to run my C application in my HP-UX 10.20 machine. Some code snippet: Month(DBTime) =====This is a function which will return variable "CutOffTime" to be use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vision©
5 Replies

8. AIX

coredump: xsnaadmin

Hello! I do have an IBM pSeries 7043 server running AIX 5.2.0.0. Well, I do have trouble to run xsnaadmin tool remotely, I mean, the xsnaadmin tool can't run on exported X display. What I'm doing is aixserver>export DISPLAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:0.0 aixserver>xsnaadmin Segmentation... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jssanche
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

bc throwing coredump

Hi Gurus, I tried bc 1000 % 10 on tcsh and ksh and its throwing a core dump on a sun solaris machine. uname -a SunOS azote 5.9 Generic_118558-39 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4 Please let me know if you find anything. Thanks, Kinny (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinny
8 Replies

10. HP-UX

Coredump HP-UX 11.23 and 11.31

Hi, I'm looking for the help on how to implement coredump using the tools that comes with HP-UX 11.23 and HP-UX 11.31. To also avoid the the dump files fill-up the root disk when dump occurs. I'm new to this and would need step by step please. Thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
3 Replies
gcore(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  gcore(1)

NAME
gcore -- get core images of running processes SYNOPSIS
gcore [-s] [-v] [-b size] [-o path | -c pathformat] pid DESCRIPTION
The gcore program creates a core file image of the process specified by pid. The resulting core file can be used with a debugger, e.g. lldb(1), to examine the state of the process. The following options are available: -s Suspend the process while the core file is captured. -v Report progress on the dump as it proceeds. -b size Limit the size of the core file to size MiBytes. The following options control the name of the core file: -o path Write the core file to path. -c pathformat Write the core file to pathformat. The pathformat string is treated as a pathname that may contain various special characters which cause the interpolation of strings representing specific attributes of the process into the name. Each special character is introduced by the % character. The format characters and their meanings are: N The name of the program being dumped, as reported by ps(1). U The uid of the process being dumped, converted to a string. P The pid of the process being dumped, converted to a string. T The time when the core file was taken, converted to ISO 8601 format. % Output a percent character. The default file name used by gcore is %N-%P-%T. By default, the core file will be written to a directory whose name is determined from the kern.corefile MIB. This can be printed or modified using sysctl(8). The directory where the core file is to be written must be accessible to the owner of the target process. gcore will not overwrite an existing file, nor will it create missing directories in the path. EXIT_STATUS The gcore utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. FILES
/cores/%N-%P-%T default pathname for the corefile. BUGS
With the -b flag, gcore writes out as much data as it can up to the specified limit, even if that results in an incomplete core image. Such a partial core dump may confuse subsequent programs that attempt to parse the contents of such files. SEE ALSO
lldb(1), core(5), Mach-O(5), sysctl(8), sudo(8). Darwin May 31, 2019 Darwin