Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Managing FileSystems on Solaris Post 302140940 by panchpan on Tuesday 16th of October 2007 10:01:03 PM
Old 10-16-2007
Thank you for your reply.

1) What is the actual difference between filesystem and mount point?
2) How do we get previous command on terminal like in HP-UX (using esc k) or in AIX (set -o vi) works?

Thank you!

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

managing users

I need to setup several accounts on a solaris system. (passwd,shadow,group) My question is : How can I create a group which can access a machine, but only in certain directories? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartJuniorUnix
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Managing nodes???

Does anyone know something about this? I have no idea what it means and how to do it. but if anyone can give me and explanation and also point me to a website, i'd really appreciate it (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Filesystems Supported by Solaris

Could someone please tell me which filesystems are supported by Solaris? I am specifically interested in ext2, ext3, and XFS. Is XFS included in a standard Solaris distro? Are ext2 and ext3 only supported in Read-Only using lxrun? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ralph Armstrong
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris System State & filesystems backup

Hi , We are using Veritas Net Backup , I want to create a new policy for backing up the (Solaris Operating System & the file systems) only the OS. not Full backup because we have an other policy for Oracle Apps and it takes full backup for all Partitions. I need the OS backup to be in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adel8483
2 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Managing Geeks

Hi, I recently found this article in computerworld and I think it is very true - at least in my company ... what do you guys think - is the author right? Is it ignorant management that makes us IT people seem to be anti-social and weird? Please share your thoughts Kind regards zxmaus (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zxmaus
5 Replies

6. Programming

Managing and using PTSes

Hello. I need to simulate a few serial links (doing a simulation of an application for a robot) and found socat which, at least with minicom, is working flawlessly. I would really like to make pts static: ie same numbers between reboots, and automatic (not me opening terminals and leaving... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: erupter
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Warnings about read-only filesystems while installing a Solaris package

I have two test machines having solaris 10. I have shared a location which have a package on machine1 and mounted that location onto machine2 as below. machine1: share -F nfs -o rw /home1/pkg/test machine2: mount -F nfs -o rw machine2:/home1/pkg/test /tmp/test Now, when i am trying to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snreddy_gopu
8 Replies
xfs_freeze(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     xfs_freeze(8)

NAME
xfs_freeze - suspend access to an XFS filesystem SYNOPSIS
xfs_freeze -f | -u mount-point DESCRIPTION
xfs_freeze suspends and resumes access to an XFS filesystem (see xfs(5)). xfs_freeze halts new access to the filesystem and creates a stable image on disk. xfs_freeze is intended to be used with volume managers and hardware RAID devices that support the creation of snapshots. The mount-point argument is the pathname of the directory where the filesystem is mounted. The filesystem must be mounted to be frozen (see mount(8)). The -f flag requests the specified XFS filesystem to be frozen from new modifications. When this is selected, all ongoing transactions in the filesystem are allowed to complete, new write system calls are halted, other calls which modify the filesystem are halted, and all dirty data, metadata, and log information are written to disk. Any process attempting to write to the frozen filesystem will block waiting for the filesystem to be unfrozen. Note that even after freezing, the on-disk filesystem can contain information on files that are still in the process of unlinking. These files will not be unlinked until the filesystem is unfrozen or a clean mount of the snapshot is complete. The -u flag is used to un-freeze the filesystem and allow operations to continue. Any filesystem modifications that were blocked by the freeze are unblocked and allowed to complete. One of -f or -u must be supplied to xfs_freeze. NOTES
A copy of a frozen XFS filesystem will usually have the same universally unique identifier (UUID) as the original, and thus may be pre- vented from being mounted. The XFS nouuid mount option can be used to circumvent this issue. In Linux kernel version 2.6.29, the interface which XFS uses to freeze and unfreeze was elevated to the VFS, so that this tool can now be used on many other Linux filesystems. SEE ALSO
xfs(5), lvm(8), mount(8). xfs_freeze(8)