Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Minutes a program runs.
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Minutes a program runs. Post 302140687 by drl on Monday 15th of October 2007 11:54:31 AM
Old 10-15-2007
Hi.

Glad it seems to be solved. It was really the man page that helped, as they do for so many problems. One slight drawback is that some man pages are very long, and some are poorly written, so it can be a chore to look through them. I think the Solaris man pages usually are the best, although the commands in Solaris, while very stable, are not as flexible as those of most Linux distributions.

Luckily, the shell hides a lot of the differences of OS platforms. However, it's good that you mentioned the Korn shell, and it probably wouldn't hurt to mention AIX, just in case that makes a difference -- I don't use AIX any longer, but I suspect many others here do ... cheers, drl

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert minutes to hours, minutes, seconds

How would you convert lets say a 1000 minutes to hours, minutes, seconds (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vozx
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

why does my program runs in conflicting mode?

my pragram runs with 3 threads, 2 work threads, one main thread. the 2 work threads run with the same mode and the same code. but now, one of the work thread can't work, and it uses the cpu more than 80%, sometimes uses 100% cpu resource. the another work thread work well. when I viewed the HP... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: happylife365
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a program runs on unix

Hi guys, I had a question last week where I asked how I check from a website hosted on windows if a process is running on on of our unix servers. Vino and Shell Life kindly replied with a perl script: if qm') -gt 0 ] ; then echo "Site is up" else echo "Site is down." # start the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drchris
1 Replies

4. Programming

getting Segmentation Fault (core dumped) error but Program runs fine.

i am executing following program int main() { char str; FILE * fp; int i=0; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhavesh.sapra
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab runs only one line in iterated program

I have a crontab as below: PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/bin/:..... etc etc 0 8 * * * /home/user/jobs/poll.sh 2>/dev/null 1>/dev/null Now the script poll.sh is called at correct time and executes. This is how poll.sh looks like #!/bin/bash... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chakrapani
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

create a program that runs two processes linked oven

I need help program in C... :create a program that runs two processes linked oven (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gizmo16
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to convert days hours minutes seconds to minutes?

Hi, please help with below time conversion to minutes. one column values: 2 minutes 16 seconds 420 msec 43 seconds 750 msec 0 days 3 hours 29 minutes 58 seconds 480 msec 11 seconds 150 msec I need output in minutes(total elapsed time in minutes) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramu.badugula
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a log file for the last 5 minutes of contents every 5 minutes

Hi all, System Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS i have the following log INFO 2019-02-07 15:13:31,099 module.py:700] default: "POST /join/8550614e-3e94-4fa5-9ab2-135eefa69c1b HTTP/1.0" 500 2042 INFO 2019-02-07 15:13:31,569 module.py:700] default: "POST /join/6cb9c452-dcb1-45f3-bcca-e33f5d450105... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
15 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Where can I find the program that runs the -wc command?

Hey guys, I was wondering. When I enter a command in the terminal -wcl for a word count, where is that program located in the kernel? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
7 Replies
perl(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   perl(1)

NAME
perl - Practical Extraction and Report Language DESCRIPTION
The perl software is unsupported software that is provided as part of Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will fix problems in this unsupported software only if they are specific to Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will not fix problems that are integral to the software itself or that occur when the com- ponent is used on UNIX systems other than Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will not add functionality to this software. Except for this reference page, other reference pages that Tru64 UNIX supplies for perl are passed through without changes. The reference pages distributed as part of this software are available in the directories /usr/share/doclib/annex/man/man[1-9]. You should use this directory stem in the man command or add it to the MANPATH environment variable to make these files available to the man command. Note Compaq is not responsible for the content or quality of reference pages and other documents installed under the /usr/share/doclib/annex directory and does not revise this material in response to customer problem reports. Reference pages installed under the /usr/share/doclib/annex/man directory are not available from Compaq in book form; for example, they are not included in the reference manu- als that you receive when you order the Tru64 UNIX documentation set as hard copy books. Problems related to the content or quality of any documentation installed in the /usr/share/doclib/annex directory tree should be sent to the developers of the documentation. The format for changing the search path with the man command is: man -P /usr/share/doclib/annex/man [section] title... If you are using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shells, use the following command sequence to modify your environment: MANPATH=$MAN- PATH:/usr/share/doclib/annex/man export MANPATH If you are using the C shell, enter the command: setenv MANPATH `echo $MANPATH`:/usr/share/doclib/annex/man See the reference pages for the man(1) command for additional information on the search path used to locate files. The reference pages associated with this product are not included in the whatis data base created by the catman command. Therefore, the man -k and apropos commands will not locate reference pages included with this product. SEE ALSO
Commands: apropos(1), catman(8), man(1) perl(1)