Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris 10 disksuite
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Solaris 10 disksuite Post 302140632 by miredale on Monday 15th of October 2007 03:40:40 AM
Old 10-15-2007
Sorry for the long winded details, but I'd imagine the more details the better!

Below is a section of the output from metastat -t
What basically seems to have happened is that the mirror has got itself confused as it needs repairing. looking at the iostat -En command, the hard disk do not show any errors. I haven't got any spare slices to move the damaged slice to as suggested with the metareplace command provided in the metastat output so I need to break the mirror, remove the mirror, then recreate it again so it starts to sync.
I have done this in the past but only via a gui screen and not through the text commands although I know it is possible.

Any help / guidance would be appreciated.

d27: Mirror
Submirror 0: d28
State: Needs maintenance Mon Sep 24 10:38:00 2007
Submirror 1: d29
State: Okay Mon Oct 28 16:36:45 2002
Pass: 1
Read option: roundrobin (default)
Write option: parallel (default)
Size: 12581595 blocks (6.0 GB)

d28: Submirror of d27
State: Needs maintenance Mon Sep 24 10:38:00 2007
Invoke: metareplace d27 c1t8d0s4 <new device>
Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks)
Device Start Dbase State Reloc Hot Spare Time
c1t1d0s4 0 No Okay Yes Mon Oct 28 15:47:00 2002
c1t2d0s4 0 No Okay Yes Mon Oct 28 15:47:00 2002
c1t8d0s4 0 No Maintenance Yes Mon Sep 24 10:38:00 2007

d29: Submirror of d27
State: Okay Mon Oct 28 16:36:45 2002
Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks)
Device Start Dbase State Reloc Hot Spare Time
c1t4d0s4 0 No Okay Yes Mon Oct 28 15:47:37 2002
c1t5d0s4 0 No Okay Yes Mon Oct 28 15:47:37 2002
c1t11d0s4 0 No Okay Yes Mon Oct 28 15:47:37 2002

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disksuite questions

Is this correct if I have to create 2 partions of 100 Gigs each? (spread accross (6) 36 Gig drives) AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c0t0d0 <SUN36G cyl 24620 alt 2 hd 27 sec 107> /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/sd@0,0 1. c0t1d0 <SUN36G cyl 24620 alt 2 hd 27 sec 107> ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: finster
10 Replies

2. Solaris

Solstice DiskSuite

Has anybody every used Solstice DiskSuite? I am having trouble setting it up. I installed it without a problem, but do I really have to blow away the drives on the D1000 just to create a metastate database? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
8 Replies

3. Solaris

Solstice Disksuite Question

According to the metadb man page: Now based on italicized part, if a mirror only has a single replica and never crashes, it should still function. Same with booting. I thought three replicas were necessary for the system to be able to come up but the comment about crashing tells me that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disksuite and raidctl used together

I have a live Sunfire v440 server with 4 drives and I want to mirror drive 0 & 1 to 2 & 3. The on-board raid controller only allows for 1 live mirror. I was thinking of disksuite, but unfortunately the second disk is just one large partition with no free slices. I was thinking of using... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris DiskSuite, boot from detached disk

Hi, I am running Solaris 8 on Sun server with 2 hard drives. I have configured mirroring on the system using DiskSuite tool in order to have the same data on both disks. Now I want to perform some software upgrade and I would like to use the second disk as a backup disk. This means taking this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlossg
3 Replies

6. Solaris

DiskSuite dilemma

Hello, We have this system a SunFire 280R running Solaris 8 Generic_117350-46. It has 2 36GB disks in it. They are mirrored with DiskSuite 4.2.1. When we execute a metastat all the devices report an Okay status, but when we go into metatool everything is in the Critical (maintenance)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgb
4 Replies

7. Solaris

mirroring with disksuite

hi all, i want to mirror two disks with disksuite under solaris 9 , doses smeone can explain me Briefly the essential steps to do that plz ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lid-j-one
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Looking for Solstice DiskSuite 4.2

Hi all, Do you know where I can download Soltice Disksuite 4.2 for Solaris 2.6 ? I haven't the CD labeled “Solaris Server Intranet Extensions 1.0” . Thanks in advance for your precious help. Bests Regards Hosni (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hosni
2 Replies

9. Solaris

disksuite mirroring d0 to d2 and d1 to d3

I have a SOlaris 10 v240 server. I'm installing disksuite to mirror the root drive D0 to D2. I also have one partition on disk 1 that I want to mirror to D3. I am not using ZFS right now. Can I add that to my initial mirroring configuration or can I only mirror 1 drive to 1 drive? Can I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csross
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Disksuite question

Hello all, I have a Solaris Disksuite question :- I will be adding 4 new drives to an E250 server and need will be configuring 2 striped volumes each consisting 2 new disks with SVM. In the end i will have 2 volumes each of 72gb. So in effect i will have 1 volume called D7 and another volume... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: commandline
6 Replies
volume-config(4)						   File Formats 						  volume-config(4)

NAME
volume-config - Solaris Volume Manager volume configuration information for top down volume creation with metassist SYNOPSIS
/usr/share/lib/xml/dtd/volume-config.dtd DESCRIPTION
A volume configuration file, XML-based and compliant with the volume-config.dtd Document Type Definition, describes the detailed configura- tion of the volume or volumes to be created, including the names, sizes and configurations of all the components used in the volume or vol- umes. This configuration file can be automatically generated by running metassist with the -d option, or can be manually created. The volume configuration file can then be used to either generate a command file or to directly create volumes by running metassist and specifying the volume configuration file as input to the command. As a system administrator, you would want to change, manually create, or edit the volume configuration file only if there are small details of the configuration that you want to change. For example, you might want to change names for volumes or hot spare pools, mirror read option, or stripe interlace values. It would be possible to also select different devices or change slice sizes or make similar changes, but that is generally not recommended. Substantial changes to the volume-config file could result in a poor or non-functional configuration. With a volume-config file, you can run metassist and provide the file as input to the command to generate either a command file or to actu- ally set up the configuration. Defining Volume Configuration The top level element <volume-config> surrounds the volume configuration data. This element has no attributes. A volume configuration requires exactly one <diskset> element, which must be the first element of the volume configuration. Additionally, the volume-config can have zero or more of the following elements: <disk>, <slice>, <hsp>, <concat>, <stripe>, <mirror> as required to define the configuration of the volume to be created. Defining Disk Set Within the <volume-config> element, a <diskset> element must exist. The <diskset> element, with the name attribute, specifies the name of the diskset in which to create the volume or volumes. This element and attribute are required. If this named disk set does not exist, it is created upon implementation of this volume configuration. Defining Slice The volume configuration format provides for a <slice> element that defines the name of a slice to use as a component of a volume. The <slice> element requires a name attribute which specifies a full ctd name. If the <slice> is newly created as part of the volume configura- tion, the startsector and sizeinblocks attributes must be specified. If the slice was previously existing, these attributes need not be specified. Defining Hot Spare Pool The volume configuration format provides for a <hsp> element that defines the name of a hot spare pool to use as a component of a configu- ration. The <hsp> element requires a name attribute which specifies a hot spare pool name. Slices defined by <slice> elements contained in the <hsp> element are included in the hot spare pool when metassist creates it." Defining Stripe The <stripe> element defines stripes (interlaced RAID 0 volumes) to be used in a volume. The <stripe> element takes a required name attribute to specify a name conforming to Solaris Volume Manager naming requirements. If the name specifies an existing stripe, no <slice> elements are required. If the name specifies a new stripe, the <slice> elements to construct the slice must be specified within the <stripe> element. The <stripe> elements takes an optional interlace attribute as value and units (for example, 16KB, 5BLOCKS, 20MB). If this value isn't specified, the Solaris Volume Manager default value is used. Defining Concat The <concat> element defines concats (non-interlaced RAID 0 volumes) to be used in a configuration. It is the same as a <stripe> element, except that the interlace attribute is not valid. Defining Mirror The <mirror> element defines mirrors (RAID 1 volumes) to be used in a volume configuration. It can contain combinations of <concat> and <stripe> elements (to explicitly determine which volumes are used as submirrors). The <mirror> element takes a required name attribute to specify a name conforming to Solaris Volume Manager naming requirements. The <mirror> element takes an optional read attribute to define the mirror read options (ROUNDROBIN, GEOMETRIC, or FIRST) for the mirrors. If this attribute is not specified, the Solaris Volume Manager default value is used. The <mirror> element takes an optional write attribute to define the mirror write options (PARALLEL, SERIAL, or FIRST) for the mirrors. If this attribute is not specified, the Solaris Volume Manager default value is used. The <mirror> element takes an optional passnum attribute (0-9) to define the mirror passnum that defines the order in which mirrors are resynced at boot, if required. Smaller numbers are resynced first. If this attribute is not specified, the Solaris Volume Manager default value is used. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Specifying a Volume Configuration The following is an example volume configuration: <!-- Example configuration --> <volume-config> <!-- Specify the existing disk set to use --> <diskset name="redundant"/> <!-- Create slices --> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d1s7" startsector="1444464" sizeinblocks="205632BLOCKS"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d1s6" startsector="1239840" sizeinblocks="102816KB"/> <!-- Create a concat --> <concat name="d12"> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s6"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d1s7"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d1s6"/> <!-- Create (and use) a HSP --> hsp name="hsp0"> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d4s0"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d4s1"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d4s3"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d4s4"/> </hsp> </concat> <!-- Create a stripe --> <stripe name="d15" interlace="32KB"> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d1s7"/> <!-- Use a previously-defined HSP --> <hsp name="hsp0"/> </stripe> <!-- Create a mirror --> <mirror name="d10"> <!-- Submirror 1: An existing stripe --> <stripe name="d11"/> <!-- Submirror 2: The concat defined above --> <concat name="d12"/> <!-- Submirror 3: A stripe defined here --> <stripe name="d13"> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d2s6"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d2s7"/> <slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d3s6"/> slice name="/dev/dsk/c0t0d3s7"/> </stripe> </mirror> </volume-config> FILES
/usr/share/lib/xml/dtd/volume-config.dtd SEE ALSO
metassist(1M), metaclear(1M), metadb(1M), metadetach(1M), metahs(1M), metainit(1M), metaoffline(1M), metaonline(1M), metaparam(1M), metare- cover(1M), metareplace(1M), metaroot(1M), metaset(1M), metasync(1M), metattach(1M), mount_ufs(1M), mddb.cf(4) Solaris Volume Manager Administration Guide SunOS 5.10 8 Aug 2003 volume-config(4)