Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX PAX error on retrieving from tape Post 302140323 by kwliew999 on Thursday 11th of October 2007 10:22:30 PM
Old 10-11-2007
PAX error on retrieving from tape

Hi, I am using AIX 5.3.0.0 and Ultrium LTO3 Tape Drive as rmt1. I have backup some of my database file using command "pax" as
pax -wvf /dev/rmt1 "./data01/abc.dmp"

But when I tried to read the file from tape by issuing the command,
pax -vf /dev/rmt1
The error message displayed as

pax: /dev/rmt1 : 0511-626 An invalid file header has been read.
pax: /dev/rmt1 : Skipping to the next file...

Anyone can let me know what is going on?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

retrieving files from Tape

I have AIX5.1 I have tried to retrieve a file from tape with no sucsess. I had this posted in the newbies section but I think I should have tried here. I did get some good info there though on where to start. This Is what I did. My back line is so... cat /rd/tmp/backuplist.full | cpio -ocvBdum... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocker40
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris and PAX

I am having trouble with the pax command on Saris. I want to sue it to untar a file to a different directory. So if mytar.tar conatins files that were in /u02/mydir/mydir2/mydir3, I want to untar them to /export/home/mydir. An example I have is: pax -r -s... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
2 Replies

3. AIX

pax error on appending data to LTO3

I have problem when I use the command "pax -awvf /dev/rmt0 ./data1" in AIX 5.3.0.0. The command with parameter -a allow me to append the tape but when I try to retrieve the data that I append, it will show me error. I would like to know if anyone have the same problem and any solution found? Tq. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

pax help

we created a TAR file ( souce /opt/oracle/10.2) . If we want to extract it diff directory say (/tmp) . I know we can use pax to do this .but inside TAR we have absolute path ref . if we pax does it replaces absolute path in TAR ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talashil
1 Replies

5. Linux

error while retrieving image using system imager

This is the error that I am getting while retrieving image from image server using system imager.... Listening on LPF/lo/<null> sending on Socket/fallback/fallback-net DHCPDISCOVER on lo to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5 DHCPDISCOVER on lo to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitesh_tarbani
1 Replies

6. AIX

Backup with Pax command. How to verify tape?

Dear all experts online, In my environment of AIX 5300-07, I am currently using "pax" command to backup all filesystems that I need to backup and it will take me around 4 hours time with LTO3 tape drive. When I need to verify the tape after backup, I am using "pax" command to list all files in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

pax me out

hi I am using this command pax -f /Unix/codes/code.tar -r -s::/Unix/archive: objective is to transfer tar file /Unix/codes/code.tar to /Unix/archive with untarring done . For this reason i am using pax and not tar -xvf as we cant specify untarred destination in that the problem is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

error in retrieving records from DB

Hi ., I have 3 records in a oracle table... wen i connect to oracle from unix environment and query the table i get some errors... the script i used is g=`sqlplus -s "username/password" << EOF select column from table; EOF` if then echo $g fi The output i get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cratercrabs
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with tar/pax

Hi, I have tar ball "data.tar" which consists of many files from different directories. If I untar a file using following command, it will untar file to location /input/data tar -xvf data.tar /input/data/abc.txt I want the file to be untar in current directory and or any other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
3 Replies

10. Programming

Error retrieving value from IPC shared memory

Assume in 1.txt file ,i have saved 32 writer.c ----------- #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/ipc.h> #include <sys/shm.h> #include <stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> #include<fcntl.h> int main(){ int shm_id; key_t mem_key; int *shm_ptr; int fd=open("1.txt",O_CREAT|O_RDWR,0777); mem_key =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subi09
2 Replies
BUTC_LOGS(5)							AFS File Reference						      BUTC_LOGS(5)

NAME
       butc_logs - Message logs from the Tape Coordinator process

DESCRIPTION
       The Backup System Tape Coordinator (butc) process generates two log files per device, one for error messages and one for actions.

Error Message Log
       The TE_device_name file logs error messages generated by the Backup System Tape Coordinator that controls the tape device or backup data
       file indicated by device_name.

As the Tape Coordinator initializes, it creates the file in ASCII format in the /var/lib/openafs/backup directory. If there is an existing
       file, the Tape Coordinator renames it to TE_device_name.old>, overwriting the existing TE_device_name.old> file if it exists.

For a tape device, the Tape Coordinator derives the variable device_name portion of the filename from the device pathname listed in the
       local /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file, by stripping off the initial "/dev/" string and replacing any other slashes in the name with
       underscores. For example, the filename for a device called /dev/rmt/4m is TE_rmt_4m. Similarly, for a backup data file the Tape Coordinator
       strips off the initial slash ("/") and replaces any other slashes in the name with underscores. For example, the filename for a backup data
       file called /var/tmp/FILE is TE_var_tmp_FILE.

The messages in the file describe the error and warning conditions the Tape Coordinator encounters as it operates. For instance, a message
       can list the volumes that are inaccessible during a dump operation, or warn that the Tape Coordinator is overwriting a tape or backup data
       file. The messages also appear in the /var/lib/openafs/backup/TL_device_name file, which traces most of the Tape Coordinator's actions.

Action Log
       The TL_device_name file logs the actions performed by the Backup System Tape Coordinator that controls the tape device or backup data file
       indicated by device_name. It also records the same error and warning messages written to the TE_device_name file.

As the Tape Coordinator initializes, it creates the file in ASCII format in the /var/lib/openafs/backup directory. If there is an existing
       file, the Tape Coordinator renames it to TL_device_name.old, overwriting the existing TL_device_name.old file if it exists.

For a tape device, the Tape Coordinator derives the variable device_name portion of the filename from the device pathname listed in the
       local /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file, by stripping off the initial "/dev/" string and replacing any other slashes in the name with
       underscores. For example, the filename for a device called /dev/rmt/4m is TL_rmt_4m. Similarly, for a backup data file the Tape Coordinator
       strips off the initial slash ("/") and replaces any other slashes in the name with underscores. For example, the filename for a backup data
       file called /var/tmp/FILE is TL_var_tmp_FILE.

SEE ALSO
       tapeconfig(5), butc(8)

COPYRIGHT
       IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved.

This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0.  It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas
       Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell.

OpenAFS 							    2012-03-26							      BUTC_LOGS(5)