Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: stripping white space...
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting stripping white space... Post 302139784 by ghostdog74 on Tuesday 9th of October 2007 07:41:01 AM
Old 10-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajan
U can Try this also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cat filename | tr -s ' ' ','

Regards,
aajan
no need for cat
Code:
tr -s .... < filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to keep white space is being deleted using read

I am using Posix shell to write a script. The problem I am having is that when I use the read command to go through a file I lose the tabs. How can I keep this from happening? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: keelba
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED with White Space

Dear Members, Suppose i have a variable test which stores a string as below: test='John drives+++++++++a+++++car' now i want to use sed on the above variable and replace + with a white space, so that i get echo $test should give me 'john drives a car' Between... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with Trimming of white space

Dear Members, Following is the code which i am using: integer i=7 while ((i <= 10 )); do param=`echo $TEST_OUT | cut -d"^" -f$i` a=`echo ${param}` echo `echo $a | sed 's/+/ /g'` (( i = i + 1)); done From the above code TEST_OUT is a variable which has the following value: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching white space through Grep

Hello All, I am trying to match white space in patterns through - Grep I tried ] & ] but none of them worked. Then I tried Perl extension '\s' and it worked. So just wanted to know if ] & ] are still supported or have they become deprecated. However they have been mentioned in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping out more than a space from a line, but keep single space.

Hi all, Is there a way to perform the above, I am trying to strip out more than one space from a line, but keep the single space. See below output example. My Name is test test2 test3 test4 test5 My Name is test test2 test3 test4 test5 Please note that the lines would contain... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eo29
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed + white space

Hi, What sed command (if sed is the right command) can remove ALL white space from my file. I have a csv, except I want to remove all white space between commas and characters. My idea (without testing) sed 's/ //g' Is there a better way? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcclunyboy
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete white space using sed

Hi , I have a file with contents as below group1 = aaaaa, bbbbb, ccccc, aaa group2=aaa, bbbbb, ccccc, aaaaa group3 = bbbbb, aaa, ccccc, aaaaa group4 = bbbbb, aaa,ccccc, aaaaa I want to search for "aaa" and the output should be as below group1 = aaaaa, bbbbb, ccccc group2= bbbbb, ccccc,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil8103
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

filename with white space

our user creates a text file with a white space on the filename. this same file is transfered to unix via automation tool. i have a korn shell script that reads these files on a input directory and connects to oracle database to run the oracle procedures which will load the data from each of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

insert white space between numbers

Hello all, I have a file with several lines like this: (1,1) (4,10) (8,23) (17, 4) (6,8) etc. and I need this: ( 1 , 1 ) ( 4 , 10 ) ( 8 , 23 ) ( 17 , 4 ) ( 6 , 8 ) How do I insert a space between the left parenthesis and the first number, between the first number and the comma,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDeBiasse
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add white space

hi guys how can i add spacein file name with sed if strings have no space around dash input 19-20 ( 18-19 ) ABC-EFG output after add white space 19 - 20 (18 - 19 ) ABC - EFG thx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhs
2 Replies
flow-cat(1)						      General Commands Manual						       flow-cat(1)

NAME
flow-cat -- Concatenate flow files SYNOPSIS
flow-cat [-aghmp] [-b big|little] [-C comment] [-d debug_level] [-o filename] [-t start_time] [-T start_time] [-z z_level] [file|directory ...] DESCRIPTION
The flow-cat utility processes files and/or directories of files in the flow-tools format. The resulting concatenated data set is written to the standard output or file specified by -o. If file is a single dash (`-') or absent, flow-cat will read from the standard input. OPTIONS
-a Do not ignore filenames that begin with tmp. -b big|little Byte order of output. -C Comment Add a comment. -d debug_level Enable debugging. -g Sort file list by capture start time before processing. -h Display help. -m Disable the use of mmap(). -p Preload headers. Use to preserve meta information such as lost flows. -o file Write to file instead of the standard out. -t start_time Select flow files up to start_time. If used with -T select files between start_time and end_time. -T end_time Select flow files after end_time. If used with -t select files between start_time and end_time. -z z_level Configure compression level to z_level. 0 is disabled (no compression), 9 is highest compression. file|directory... Process the files and/or directory. TIME
/DATE parsing start_time and end_time parsing is implemented with getdate.y, a commonly used function to process free-form time date specifications. Example usage borrowed from cvs: 1 month ago 2 hours ago 400000 seconds ago last year last Monday yesterday a fortnight ago 3/31/92 10:00:07 PST January 23, 1987 10:05pm 22:00 GMT EXAMPLES
Concatenate all flow files begining with ft-v05.2001-05.01, use flow-print to display the results. flow-cat ft-v05.2001-05-01.* | flow-print Concatenate flow files in /flows/krc4, store store the output in compressed.flows at compression level 9 (best). The headers are preloaded so various metadata such as the flow count is correct in the result. Filenames begining with tmp which are typically in-progress flow files from flow-capture are not processed. flow-cat -p -z9 /flows/krc4 > compressed.flows BUGS
None known. AUTHOR
Mark Fullmer maf@splintered.net SEE ALSO
flow-tools(1) flow-cat(1)