Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Reading and Writing from Excel using Unix scripting Post 302139477 by AshishK on Sunday 7th of October 2007 02:33:30 PM
Old 10-07-2007
Reading and Writing from Excel using Unix scripting

Hi All,

I want to read and write into Excel files.

I want my script to generate the required output directly in the Excel format.

Is it possible through unix scripting or shall I have to use some other language for this purpose?

Waiting for your suggestion.

Thanks in Advance.

AshishK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading and Writing Files ?

Hello, Our group is just starting to get into UNIX here. We are former REXX users on a VM Mainframe. Can someone point me to the documentation to read a file and write a file in a Unix Shell Script or does this have to be done in another language? Thank you in advance... Dave (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tracydp
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading/ writing to sockets

Is it possible to read from or write to sockets with ksh? I use AIX 5.3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rein
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading data from excel using shell script

Hi all I am new to shell scripting. I need to write a shell script that reads each row of an USER_ID colume in a excel file. the excel has around 10000 rows of data. Can someone gives me some example or advice what's best way to do this thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger99
11 Replies

4. Programming

I need help with file reading/writing in C

Hello everybody, I'm trying to code a program which makes the following: It sends an ARP request frame and when it gets the reply, extracts the IP address of source and writes it to a .txt file. This is gonna be done with many hosts (with a for() loop), so, the text file would look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zykl0n-B
2 Replies

5. Programming

Excel reading on Linux using Java

Hi, I have a requirement where users will send excel(.xls) file to Linux Platform using ftp/sftp. After that the excel file needs to be read using java on linux and converted into csv. I am using jxl to parse the excel, but few character like £ are not getting parsed properly. If i open the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: joy_bt
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading and writing in same file

Hi All, Here is my requirement. I am grepping through the log files and cutting some fields from the file to generate a csv file. Now I have to check if 2nd field is having some fixed value then with the help of 4th field I have to look in same log and run another grep command to retrieve the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmajumder
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Reading Excel sheet isssue

There is a perl scriptwhich will read Excel sheet and create one file(.v) . Excel sheet::: A B C D 1 cpu_dailog 2 3 4 Perl will create the file(.v) like thsi ::: assert (cpu_dailog_iso ==2) ; assert (cpu_dailog_reset ==3); assert (cpu_dailog_idle... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naaj_ila
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing excel file using perl : Excel file formatting changed

I am trying to create a program where user can input data in certain excel cells using user interface on internet....the programming is on perl and server is unix But when i parse data into excel the formatting of sheets is turned to default and all macro coding removed. What to do...Please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mud_born
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing in excel sheet using ksh

Hello, I'm trying to write a script to export a txt file to excel. The text file is a delimited with commas Example: Report Date,12/12/2014 Report By, Person Issue, Job Failed I tried exporting as csv and mailed to my id. But if I open the csv file the data is coming in single... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: annamalaikasi
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing xml from excel sheet .xls using perl script

Hi all. I am working on the below requirement of generating .xml file from .xls file which i have , can someone please help me or in writing the perl script for the same: The xls file format is as below which has two columns and number of rows are not fixed: Fixlet Name ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
12 Replies
Excel::Writer::XLSX::Chart::Pie(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      Excel::Writer::XLSX::Chart::Pie(3pm)

NAME
Pie - A class for writing Excel Pie charts. SYNOPSIS
To create a simple Excel file with a Pie chart using Excel::Writer::XLSX: #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use Excel::Writer::XLSX; my $workbook = Excel::Writer::XLSX->new( 'chart.xlsx' ); my $worksheet = $workbook->add_worksheet(); my $chart = $workbook->add_chart( type => 'pie' ); # Configure the chart. $chart->add_series( categories => '=Sheet1!$A$2:$A$7', values => '=Sheet1!$B$2:$B$7', ); # Add the worksheet data the chart refers to. my $data = [ [ 'Category', 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ], [ 'Value', 1, 4, 5, 2, 1, 5 ], ]; $worksheet->write( 'A1', $data ); __END__ DESCRIPTION
This module implements Pie charts for Excel::Writer::XLSX. The chart object is created via the Workbook "add_chart()" method: my $chart = $workbook->add_chart( type => 'pie' ); Once the object is created it can be configured via the following methods that are common to all chart classes: $chart->add_series(); $chart->set_title(); These methods are explained in detail in Excel::Writer::XLSX::Chart. Class specific methods or settings, if any, are explained below. Pie Chart Methods There aren't currently any pie chart specific methods. See the TODO section of Excel::Writer::XLSX::Chart. A Pie chart doesn't have an X or Y axis so the following common chart methods are ignored. $chart->set_x_axis(); $chart->set_y_axis(); EXAMPLE
Here is a complete example that demonstrates most of the available features when creating a chart. #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use Excel::Writer::XLSX; my $workbook = Excel::Writer::XLSX->new( 'chart_pie.xlsx' ); my $worksheet = $workbook->add_worksheet(); my $bold = $workbook->add_format( bold => 1 ); # Add the worksheet data that the charts will refer to. my $headings = [ 'Category', 'Values' ]; my $data = [ [ 'Apple', 'Cherry', 'Pecan' ], [ 60, 30, 10 ], ]; $worksheet->write( 'A1', $headings, $bold ); $worksheet->write( 'A2', $data ); # Create a new chart object. In this case an embedded chart. my $chart = $workbook->add_chart( type => 'pie', embedded => 1 ); # Configure the series. Note the use of the array ref to define ranges: # [ $sheetname, $row_start, $row_end, $col_start, $col_end ]. $chart->add_series( name => 'Pie sales data', categories => [ 'Sheet1', 1, 3, 0, 0 ], values => [ 'Sheet1', 1, 3, 1, 1 ], ); # Add a title. $chart->set_title( name => 'Popular Pie Types' ); # Set an Excel chart style. Colors with white outline and shadow. $chart->set_style( 10 ); # Insert the chart into the worksheet (with an offset). $worksheet->insert_chart( 'C2', $chart, 25, 10 ); __END__ AUTHOR
John McNamara jmcnamara@cpan.org COPYRIGHT
Copyright MM-MMXII, John McNamara. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software. It may be used, redistributed and/or modified under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2012-04-02 Excel::Writer::XLSX::Chart::Pie(3pm)