Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers redirected output not going to file for all cases Post 302139116 by brdholman on Thursday 4th of October 2007 09:52:04 AM
Old 10-04-2007
This works for all my normal executions. But on one machine, a coredump is expected on one command. We don't care, just need to confirm the version info. This is output from the exe:

$ ./Up

-*-*- XXXXXXX UPDATE XXXXX Version nnnnnnnn -*-*-
-*-*- Copyright (C) 1998-2007 xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Inc. -*-*-

Processing begins: 10/4/2007 10:48:12

Tracking Database Connect Error
Memory fault(coredump)

However, when I send the output to a file, the output file is empty:

$ ./Up > ../Up_output.txt 2>&1
Memory fault(coredump)
$ cd ..
$ cat Up_output.txt
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Saving a redirected file

What command do I use in order to save a file in directory A/B/C to directory A/D/E. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JSP
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Standard output not redirected from /bin/sh

I have an application which has a lot of cout & cerr statements. This application also opens a log file (for eg a.log). When this application is run from the inittab file as follows /bin/sh -c " . /etc/timezone; exec /test" all the cout & cerr statements are printed in the log file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soorajmu
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirected output

Hello Everyone, I have an option for users in my shell script to create log file. So if user saying “yes” on it, I'm redirecting all output to log file by doing this: > /output.log. However I would like the output being displayed on the screen at the same time. Is it possible? If yes, does anybody... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slavam
2 Replies

4. AIX

search for a file - errors redirected

hi all, i do search for a file in solaris box in the following format find / -name 'file' -print 2>/dev/null i tried the same thing on AIX box; as i am searching from the root the same way i redirected the errors to /dev/null but find is showing strip off errors and when i just continued... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

no data redirected to a file with top and grep - why?

HI all, I want to capture cpu data in batch mode of "top" command and redirect to a file like this: top -b > cpu.dat it works! But I want to capture only Cpu lines, so i have: top -b | grep ^Cpu >cpu.dat Then I got an empty output file. Why? Could somebody explain and help me to make it... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: fongthai
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude Certain Entries from Piped or Redirected Output?

I want to execute a command something like: find / -name "jni.h" and I want to direct the output of that command to some type of filter that will leave out all the lines reporting inaccessible directories (permission unavailable). Is this a pipe or a redirect? For example, output like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: downplay
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output that was redirected to variable and console

Hi all, I would like to store the output of a command in a variable and output it to the console at the same time. This is working fine using the following construct var=`command | tee /dev/tty` I use this in some scripts to display the output of the command on the console and, at the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_man
2 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

missing delimiters when mysql output is redirected to log file

Hi, Pls check that '|' and '+' present in Step-1 are not copied to log file in Step-3. Pls suggest how to get the exact output from Step-1 (i.e. with out losing '|' and '+') in to a log file ~Thanks Step-1: Execute command > mysql -utest -ptest -htesthost testdb -e "select * from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dot and redirected output syntax in a tar command

Hi All, Please could anyone advise what the purpose of the dot syntax in the following command means: tar -cvf ${WORKING_BACKUP_ROOT}/${TAR_ARCHIVE_FILE} . >/${BACKUP_ROOT}/${ARCHIVE_LOG} Many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveu7
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting redirected pwd from file.

Hi echo " username " read username echo "password" stty -echo read password stty echo through read i am taking standard input and redirecign them to a file echo " username=${username}/${password} " > file.lst now from the same shell script i want to delete the password (i.e... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosheks
4 Replies
FL-BUILD-REPORT(1)						   Debian manual						FL-BUILD-REPORT(1)

NAME
fl-build-report - generate a report from a FunkLoad bench result file SYNOPSIS
fl-build-report [options] XMLFILE fl-build-report --diff REPORT_PATH1 REPORT_PATH2 DESCRIPTION
fl-build-report analyze a FunkLoad bench xml result file and output a report. The --diff option expect two report directories and output a differential report. Note that you can preview the report for cycles that have been done while the bench is still running by invoking fl-build-report. OPTIONS
--version Show program's version number and exit --help, -h Shows a help message and exit --html, -H Produce an HTML report --output-directory=OUTPUT_DIR, -oOUTPUT_DIR Parent directory to store reports, the directoryname of the report will be generated automatically. --report-directory=REPORT_DIR, -r REPORT_DIR Directory name to store the report. --diff, -d Create differential report. SEE ALSO
fl-credential-ctl(1), fl-monitor-ctl(1), fl-record(1), fl-run-bench(1), fl-run-test(1). fl-install-demo(1), AUTHOR
Funkload was written by Benoit Delbosc. This manual page was written by Jose Parrella <bureado@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). Debian Project 26 March 2009 FL-BUILD-REPORT(1)