Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting why read line skips some lines... Post 302138893 by drl on Wednesday 3rd of October 2007 05:45:48 PM
Old 10-03-2007
Hi.

I'd guess that install_pkg is reading 3 times from STDIN, which is inherited from the loop, and thus from the file fileWithPkgNamesToBeInstalled.

Is there an option for install_pkg, say -y, that provides automatic answers, or an option that tells it to take input from a file different from STDIN? ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read lines till a blank line is encountered

Hi, I have reached at a specified offset from the start of file. My requirement is that I want to read only those lines, which have the string READ / ALTER / UPDATE. As soon as, none of these literals are found in the subsequent line, I want to stop reading. Is there any feature of grep which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saurabhsinha23
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat file1 read line-per-line then grep -A 15 lines down in fileb

STEP 1 # Set variable FILE=/tmp/mainfile SEARCHFILE =/tmp/searchfile # THIS IS THE MAIN FILE. cat /tmp/mainfile Interface Ethernet0/0 "outside", is up, line protocol is up Hardware is i82546GB rev03, BW 100 Mbps Full-Duplex(Full-duplex), 100 Mbps(100 Mbps) MAC address... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: irongeekio
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: read file line by line (lines have '\0') - not full line has read???

I am using the while-loop to read a file. The file has lines with null-terminated strings (words, actually.) What I have by that reading - just a first word up to '\0'! I need to have whole string up to 'new line' - (LF, 10#10, 16#A) What I am doing wrong? #make file 'grb' with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote script skips "read" command

This script is supposed to display a file ( crontab ), ask the user if they wish to update the file, then it goes through an update routine. #!/bin/bash FILE=/etc/crontab tail -5 $FILE echo -n "Does crontab need updating" read HOURS ...routines ....etc... Runs locally... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Foreach loop that skips the header line of a file (csh)

Hello all, I'm working on a foreach loop to compare a couple sets of data. However, each datafile includes a header row. I'm wondering if it is possible to tell the foreach loop to skip the first line of data. I've been using the basic code as follows: foreach line ("`file.csv`") set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meteorologistks
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read one line file and separate into multiple lines

I have one long line text with semicolon used as separator between values in that line. Now, I want to separate the line into multiple line right after every 29th field. example input line: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: erlanq
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

read one line file and separate into multiple lines

I have one long line text with semicolon used as separator between values in that line. Now, I want to separate the line into multiple line right after every 29th field. example input line: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: erlanq
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read line with particular number of lines

Hi all, I have a file sample.txt abc asd adf daf adw add adv wdf I want to control the number of lines to read Like if i give input as ./script_name 2 5 required output asd adf daf (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krux_rap
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read the file line by line and do something with lines

I have a file file_name_O.txt The file can have different number of other files names or nothing I will check cnt=`wc -l file_name_0.txt` if ;then exit 1 fi Now I have to start checking file names, i.e. read txt file line by line. If amount of ,lines equal 1, I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
4 Replies
NUMNORMALIZE(1) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   NUMNORMALIZE(1)

NAME
numnormalize - Normalize a set of numbers. By default between 0 and 1. SYNOPSIS
numnormalize [-dhRV] <FILE> | numnormalize [-dhRV] (Input on STDIN from pipeline.) numnormalize [-dhRV] (Input on STDIN. Use Ctrl-D to stop.) DESCRIPTION
numnormalize will take a set of numbers on input and return that set as a normalized set of numbers between 0 and 1 by default. Or you can use the -R option to specify a different normalized range. OPTIONS
-h Help: You're looking at it. -V Increase verbosity. -d Debug mode. For developers -R <range> This allows you to specify a different normalized range instead of from 0 to 1. For example -R 0..5 SEE ALSO
numaverage(1), numbound(1), numinterval(1), numgrep(1), numprocess(1), numsum(1), numrandom(1), numrange(1), numround(1) COPYRIGHT
numnormalize is part of the num-utils package, which is copyrighted by Suso Banderas and released under the GPL license. Please read the COPYING and LICENSE files that came with the num-utils package Developers can read the GOALS file and contact me about providing submitions or help for the project. MORE INFO
More info on numnormalize can be found at: http://suso.suso.org/programs/num-utils/ perl v5.10.1 2009-10-31 NUMNORMALIZE(1)