Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copy the first & third columns in to another test file. Its very urgent please Post 302138169 by ghostdog74 on Sunday 30th of September 2007 12:08:38 AM
Old 09-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
What is the urgency?
if its urgent, there are 2 possibilities, 1) assignment due, 2) work dead line

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for strings & copy to new file

Hi All, I am just learning shell programming, I need to do the following in my shell script. Search a given log file for two\more strings. If the the two\more strings are found then write it to a outputfile else if only one of the string is found, write the found string in one output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitrajvarma
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I search first&second string & copy all content between them to other file?

Hi All, How do I search first string & second string and copy all content between them from one file to another file? Please help me.. Thanks In Advance. Regards, Pankaj (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajp
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test File Reading & Validation using Shell script

Please help develop script for below requirement -------Sample file------------------------------- HSVSHOSTRECON 20090115011817BP DARMAR60064966247003504720000000000000000000066626000000000000133000003D003463001332 ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: niraj_bhatt
14 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for & edit rows & columns in data file and pipe

Dear unix gurus, I have a data file with header information about a subject and also 3 columns of n rows of data on various items he owns. The data file looks something like this: adam peter blah blah blah blah blah blah car 01 30 200 02 31 400 03 57 121 .. .. .. .. .. .. n y... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintin72
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

To copy a a file to last created directory..Urgent pls

I need to copy a file example hhh.txt to the recently created directory by name flexite@latesttimestamp in the path interface/home/ ... I couldnt get the name of recently created directory .... first result of ls -lst ...that is ls -lst |head -2 gives the latest directory but i could not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: helloo
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy a file based on the size-Urgent

Hi, I need unix code to check the size of a file. for example if the size of the file in A folder is more than 1BM, then i have to move that particular file in to B folder whenever I run that particular script. regards, Srinivas. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vysrinivas
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy and Paste Columns in a Tab-Limited Text file

I have this text file with a very large number of columns (10,000+) and I want to move the first column to the position of the six column so that the text file looks like this: Before cutting and pasting ID Family Mother Father Trait Phenotype aaa bbb ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy values from columns matching in those in second file.

Hi All, I have two sets of files. Set 1: 100 text files with extension .txt with names like 1.txt, 2.txt, 3.txt until 100.txt Set 2: One big file with extension .dat The text files have some records in columns like this: 0.7316431 82628 0.7248189 82577 0.7248182 81369 0.7222999... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] BASH - chaining TEST and COMMAND with && and II

Can you explain what this line of script is doing. What I have understood is : -- variable C is the name of a software which is either not installed, so it must be installed or allready installed and then should be update if newer version found -- branch B="$B $C" is to install the software --... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate average of two columns and copy into another file?

Hi, I need help with the awk command. I have a folder with aprox 500 files each one with two columns and I want to print in a new file, the average of column 1 and average of column 2 and the name of each file. Input files are: File-1: 100 99 20 99 50 99 50 99 File-2: 200 85... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokaps
3 Replies
COMM(1) 							   User Commands							   COMM(1)

NAME
comm - compare two sorted files line by line SYNOPSIS
comm [OPTION]... FILE1 FILE2 DESCRIPTION
Compare sorted files FILE1 and FILE2 line by line. With no options, produce three-column output. Column one contains lines unique to FILE1, column two contains lines unique to FILE2, and column three contains lines common to both files. -1 suppress column 1 (lines unique to FILE1) -2 suppress column 2 (lines unique to FILE2) -3 suppress column 3 (lines that appear in both files) --check-order check that the input is correctly sorted, even if all input lines are pairable --nocheck-order do not check that the input is correctly sorted --output-delimiter=STR separate columns with STR --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Note, comparisons honor the rules specified by `LC_COLLATE'. EXAMPLES
comm -12 file1 file2 Print only lines present in both file1 and file2. comm -3 file1 file2 Print lines in file1 not in file2, and vice versa. AUTHOR
Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report comm bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report comm translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
join(1), uniq(1) The full documentation for comm is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and comm programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'comm invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.5 February 2011 COMM(1)