Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do manipulate file path and names Post 302138056 by siegfried on Friday 28th of September 2007 11:10:41 AM
Old 09-28-2007
How do manipulate file path and names

In emacs elisp, there is a handy function called file-name-nondirectory which accepts a path and file name and returns just a file name and extension. There is also a function called file-name-directory which just returns the dire ctory name without the file.

How can I implement these same functions in perl and bash?

Thanks,
siegfried

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I delete files using a file that containt path and names?

Recentily i receive virus ninda and my network was files *.eml. I find all *.eml with: find / -name *.eml -print > virus Virus has the path and name of the file,so, How can i delete all *.eml? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlvaroD
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

want only file names (not whole path) in shell script

hi i wrote following script, #!/usr/bin/sh for index in `ls /tmp/common/*.txt` do echo "$index" done here index is giving full path but in my program i want only file names (not along with whole path) Eg. if in /tmp/common files are a.txt and b.txt den out should be a.txt b.txt ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: crackthehit007
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file names in a directory while ignoring certain file names

Sun Solaris Unix Question Haven't been able to find any solution for this situation. Let's just say the file names listed below exist in a directory. I want the find command to find all files in this directory but at the same time I want to eliminate certain file names or files with certain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2reperry
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Manipulate and move columns in a file

Hello Unix Gurus, I have a request 2 perform several functions on a file, delete columns, delete rows based on column value, and finally move around columns in the final output. Consider the following input file with 12 columns; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chumsky
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing path name from list of file names

I have this piece of code printf '%s\n' $pth*.msf | tr ' ' '\n' | sort -t '-' -k7 -k6r \ | awk -F- '{c=($6$7!=p&&FNR!=1)?ORS:"";p=$6$7}{printf("%c%s\n",c,$0)}' When I run it I get /home/chrisd/tatsh/branches/terr0.50/darwin/n02-z30-dsr65-terr0.50-dc0.002-8x6drw-csq.msf... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting path names

I am in a directory called /abstracts Doing tree -d gives . ├── geo1936 │ ├── geo01n01 │ ├── geo01n02 │ └── geo01n03 ├── geo1937 │ ├── geo02n01 │ ├── geo02n02 │ ├── geo02n03 │ └── geo02n04 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulate file

Hi Guys, I have a file that lists patches along with other information. The patches are listed in two different formats. One format lists the latest patch, date , installed patch Latest Patch Date IN 148412-02 13-Sep-2012 -- X X SunOS 5.10: nss_dns patch 126206-10 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tornado
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulate a CSV File

Hello, How do i manipulate .csv file to this format? Thank you very much. Source: john,5 marco,7 john,4 paul,3 marco,8 Output: john,9 marco,15 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tara123
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude certain file names while selectingData files coming in different names in a file name called

Data files coming in different names in a file name called process.txt. 1. shipments_yyyymmdd.gz 2 Order_yyyymmdd.gz 3. Invoice_yyyymmdd.gz 4. globalorder_yyyymmdd.gz The process needs to discard all the below files and only process two of the 4 file names available ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravanam
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::Editor::RequireEmacsFileVariables(User Contributed Perl DocumentatPerl::Critic::Policy::Editor::RequireEmacsFileVariables(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::Editor::RequireEmacsFileVariables - Per-file editor settings. AFFILIATION
This policy is part of Perl::Critic::More, a bleeding edge supplement to Perl::Critic. DESCRIPTION
Many text editors know how to find magic strings in files that indicate settings that work best for that file. For example, the file can indicate that it expects four-character indentation. In emacs, this magic string is called "File Variables". There are two syntaxes: "-*- ... -*-" (single-line) and "Local Variables: ... End:" (multi-line). Both syntaxes allow leading and trailing text on the line. The single-line syntax must be used on the first line of the file to be recognized, or on the second line if the first line is a shebang. The following examples are explicitly allowed by Perl: #!perl -w -*- cperl -*- #!perl -w # -*- cperl -*- #!perl # -*- cperl -*- The multi-line syntax must be used "in the last page" (that is, after the last formfeed) at the end of the file. As of Emacs21, the "end of the file" is hard-coded to be the last 3000 bytes of the file (in the hack-local-variables function in files.el). In this syntax, each line must begin and end with the same prefix/suffix pair. That pair is defined by the text before and after the "Local Variables:" string. SEE ALSO
Perl::Critic::Policy::Editor::RequireViModeline <http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/File-Variables.html> In Emacs, you can view the "File Variables" info node by typing: "Help-key", "i", "g", "(emacs)File Variables" (where "Help-key" is often "C-h" or "F1".) Alternatively, you can execute the following elisp: (info "(emacs)File Variables") AUTHOR
Chris Dolan <cdolan@cpan.org> Michael Wolf <MichaelRWolf@att.net> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006-2008 Chris Dolan This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-10 Perl::Critic::Policy::Editor::RequireEmacsFileVariables(3)