Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers override the system date-timestamp on the Unix servers Post 302137880 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 27th of September 2007 10:05:32 AM
Old 09-27-2007
The system time is kept in the kernel, and maintained by it. The only other solution other than what Porter and Perderabo mentioned is to have a small dedicated time-warped box that runs without ntpd. Or play with TZ.

If whatever you're using DOES NOT use UTC, but calls libc localtime, then you can create a custom timezone. POSIX compliant systems are required to have ways to set timezones with almost any offset from UTC. Start all of your regressions in the special timezone. How you set up your timezone is totally system dependent (POSIX allows for three methods), but you should be able to accomplish this with TZ variable alone.

example my ZZT timezone:
Code:
$> export TZ=ZZT6:30:22
$> date
Thu Sep 27 07:25:51 ZZT 2007
$> export TZ=CST6CDT
$> date
Thu Sep 27 08:56:34 CDT 2007

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

date override

When the aix date function is called by a routine, is the date function 'aware' of the name of the routine that is calling it, such that if we had the source code of the date function, we could modify it so that it provides a date to the caller depending upon the identity of the calling routine.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gerry shacter
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare date from db2 table to yesterday's Unix system date

I am currently running the following Korn shell script which works fine: #!/usr/bin/ksh count=`db2 -x "select count(*) from schema.tablename"` echo "count" I would like to add a "where" clause to the 2nd line that would allow me to get a record count of all the records from schema.tablename... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasaliasim
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX/awk date to unix timestamp

Hello, I am inside a awk script on AIX, I am feeding to awk ls -luNR i need to convert ls -u time format "month day h:m/yr" to Unix epoch time, POSIX time, or aka unix timestamp I do not have strftime funk in my awk, and i have to do this fast meaning that I cannot do a system call in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nullwhat
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix timestamp to readable date

How would I convert a unix timestamp such as "1232144092" to a readable date such as "1/16/2009 10:14:28 PM" ? I thought I could use date, but I don't think so now.. Any help would be great!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhije
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

To convert a date(in string format) to unix timestamp

Hi All, I have a string like below. "Mar 31 2009" . I want to convert this to unix time . Also please let me know how to find the unix time for the above string minus one day. For Eg. if i have string "Mar 31 2009" i want to find the unix time stamp of "Mar 30 2009". Thanks in advance,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get what date was 28 days ago of the current system date IN UNIX

Hi, Anybody knows how to get what date was 28 days ago of the current system date through UNIX script. Ex : - If today is 28th Mar 2010 then I have to delete the files which arrived on 1st Mar 2010, (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: kandi.reddy
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a date field has date or timestamp or date&timestamp

Hi, In a field, I should receive the date with time stamp in a particular field. But sometimes the vendor sends just the date or the timestamp or correctl the date&timestamp. I have to figure out the the data is a date or time stamp or date&timestamp. If it is date then append "<space>00:00:00"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
1 Replies

8. AIX

convert a specific date to a unix timestamp

hello, i have an AIX5.3 machine and i am writing a script to display some processes. inside the script i want to get the time that the process starts and convert it to a unix timestamp. is there a command that i can use to do that? i search the web but all i found is long scripts and it does... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert date in dd mm yyyy format to UNIX timestamp

Hello All, I have a date in DD/MM/YYYY format. I am trying to convert this into unix timestamp. I have tried following: date -d $mydate +%s where mydate = 23/12/2016 00:00:00 I am getting following error: date: extra operand `+%s' Try `date --help' for more information. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: angshuman
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare date in .txt with system date and remove if it's lesser than system date

Can someone help me with the code wherein there is a file f1.txt with different column and 34 column have expiry date and I need to get that and compare with system date and if expiry date is <system date remove those rows and other rows should be moved to new file f2.txt . I don't want to delete... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stuti
2 Replies
TZSET(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  TZSET(3)

NAME
tzset, tzname, timezone, daylight - initialize time conversion information SYNOPSIS
#include <time.h> void tzset (void); extern char *tzname[2]; extern long timezone; extern int daylight; Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): tzset(): _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 1 || _XOPEN_SOURCE || _POSIX_SOURCE tzname: _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 1 || _XOPEN_SOURCE || _POSIX_SOURCE timezone: _SVID_SOURCE || _XOPEN_SOURCE daylight: _SVID_SOURCE || _XOPEN_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
The tzset() function initializes the tzname variable from the TZ environment variable. This function is automatically called by the other time conversion functions that depend on the timezone. In a System-V-like environment, it will also set the variables timezone (seconds West of UTC) and daylight (to 0 if this timezone does not have any daylight saving time rules, or to nonzero if there is a time during the year when daylight saving time applies). If the TZ variable does not appear in the environment, the tzname variable is initialized with the best approximation of local wall clock time, as specified by the tzfile(5)-format file localtime found in the system timezone directory (see below). (One also often sees /etc/localtime used here, a symlink to the right file in the system timezone directory.) If the TZ variable does appear in the environment but its value is empty or its value cannot be interpreted using any of the formats speci- fied below, Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) is used. The value of TZ can be one of three formats. The first format is used when there is no daylight saving time in the local timezone: std offset The std string specifies the name of the timezone and must be three or more alphabetic characters. The offset string immediately follows std and specifies the time value to be added to the local time to get Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). The offset is positive if the local timezone is west of the Prime Meridian and negative if it is east. The hour must be between 0 and 24, and the minutes and seconds 0 and 59. The second format is used when there is daylight saving time: std offset dst [offset],start[/time],end[/time] There are no spaces in the specification. The initial std and offset specify the standard timezone, as described above. The dst string and offset specify the name and offset for the corresponding daylight saving timezone. If the offset is omitted, it default to one hour ahead of standard time. The start field specifies when daylight saving time goes into effect and the end field specifies when the change is made back to standard time. These fields may have the following formats: Jn This specifies the Julian day with n between 1 and 365. February 29 is never counted even in leap years. n This specifies the Julian day with n between 1 and 365. February 29 is counted in leap years. Mm.w.d This specifies day d (0 <= d <= 6) of week w (1 <= w <= 5) of month m (1 <= m <= 12). Week 1 is the first week in which day d occurs and week 5 is the last week in which day d occurs. Day 0 is a Sunday. The time fields specify when, in the local time currently in effect, the change to the other time occurs. If omitted, the default is 02:00:00. Here is an example for New Zealand, where the standard time (NZST) is 12 hours ahead of UTC, and daylight saving time (NZDT), 13 hours ahead of UTC, runs from the first Sunday in October to the third Sunday in March, and the changeovers happen at the default time of 02:00:00: TZ="NZST-12.00:00NZDT-13:00:00,M10.1.0,M3.3.0" The third format specifies that the timezone information should be read from a file: :[filespec] If the file specification filespec is omitted, the timezone information is read from the file localtime in the system timezone directory, which nowadays usually is /usr/share/zoneinfo. This file is in tzfile(5) format. If filespec is given, it specifies another tzfile(5)-format file to read the timezone information from. If filespec does not begin with a '/', the file specification is relative to the system timezone directory. Here's an example, once more for New Zealand: TZ=":Pacific/Auckland" FILES
The system timezone directory used depends on the (g)libc version. Libc4 and libc5 use /usr/lib/zoneinfo, and, since libc-5.4.6, when this doesn't work, will try /usr/share/zoneinfo. Glibc2 will use the environment variable TZDIR, when that exists. Its default depends on how it was installed, but normally is /usr/share/zoneinfo. This timezone directory contains the files localtime local timezone file posixrules rules for POSIX-style TZ's Often /etc/localtime is a symlink to the file localtime or to the correct timezone file in the system timezone directory. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, POSIX.1-2001, 4.3BSD. NOTES
Note that the variable daylight does not indicate that daylight saving time applies right now. It used to give the number of some algo- rithm (see the variable tz_dsttime in gettimeofday(2)). It has been obsolete for many years but is required by SUSv2. 4.3BSD had a function char *timezone(zone, dst) that returned the name of the timezone corresponding to its first argument (minutes West of UTC). If the second argument was 0, the standard name was used, otherwise the daylight saving time version. SEE ALSO
date(1), gettimeofday(2), time(2), ctime(3), getenv(3), tzfile(5) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2010-02-25 TZSET(3)