Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replace character in a string pattern and save the change in same file Post 302137751 by mihir0011 on Wednesday 26th of September 2007 05:31:12 PM
Old 09-26-2007
Hi,
Thanks for the solution. That is really working.
I tried second option. Can you please explain how that script is working. And what is the role of all those files named *.tmp , *.orig and salesiq.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change case of single character in pattern

Using UNIX tools, but not using GAWK (NAWK is OK), is there a more elegant way to achieve this: sed ' s/_a/_A/1 s/_b/_B/1 s/_c/_C/1 rest of alpahabet ' I want to change the case of a single character in each string of a text file. The character will be matched by regex '_' and only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace a string within 2 points and save it

I've got this xml file <file1> some text here </file1> <file2> some text here </file2> How do I change the text in element file1 to a sentence that I want, defined by variable $sentence. using ksh here. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alienated
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed :Search and Replace a string pattern with empty in an xml file in unix

Search and Replace a string pattern with empty in an xml file in unix: My xml file would be like this : <Accounts><Name>Harish</Name><mobile>90844444444444445999 </mobile><TRIG>srcujim-1</TRIG></Accounts><Accounts><Name>Satish</Name><mobile>908999</mobile><TRIG>ettertrtt-1</TRIG></Accounts> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harish_s_ampeo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change last character in string with a variable value.

Hey Guys, I have text such as this. 28003,ALCORN,2 28009,BENTON,2 28013,CALHOUN,2 28017,CHICKASAW,2 47017,CARROLL,2 05021,CLAY,0 The last digit after the final "," is a variable value. This is the base file. I have to do further execution on this file later and I need to update the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chagan02
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace two character pattern with another pattern

Not able to paste my content. Please see the attachment :-( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace character string in txt file using input file(S)

Hi I have a large txt file on my AIX server and I need to replace some text using two other files. So filename1 has about 500 lines similar to: txtcode SYStem100 I have the string I want to change in string2 and the new stringname in string3. Does anyone know a way of doing this? I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Grueben
1 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Search for a pattern and replace a space at specific position with a Character in File

In file, we have millions of records each of 1000 in length. And at specific position say 800 there is a space, we need to replace it with Character X if the ID in that row starts with 123. So far i have used the below which is replacing space at that position to X but its not checking for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagmeet Singh
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to replace a string with pattern read from a file

I have two files blocks.txt and rules.txt. In blocks.txt i have the following entries Linux1 Linux2 Linux3 ..... Linux10 In rules.txt i have the lines where a filename pattern starts like 'blk-name.*' I want to replace 'blk-name' with the names read from blocks.txt file I tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jag02
2 Replies
rcsdiff(1)						      General Commands Manual							rcsdiff(1)

NAME
rcsdiff - compareRCS revisions SYNOPSIS
rev1] rev2] file ... DESCRIPTION
compares two revisions of each given RCS file and creates output very similar to (see diff(1)). A file name ending in is an RCS file name, otherwise it is a working file name. derives the working file name from the RCS file name and vice versa, as explained in rcsintro(5). Pairs consisting of both an RCS and a working file name can also be specified. recognizes the following options: Same as described in diff(1); Same as described in diff(1); Same as described in diff(1); Same as described in diff(1); Generate an edit script of the format used by RCS. Generate a diff with lines of context. The default is to present 3 lines of context. To change, specify n; for example, gives 10 lines of context. modifies the output format slightly from the normal diff(1) output. The ``context'' output begins with identification of the files involved and their creation dates, then each change is separated by a line with a dozen (asterisks). Lines removed from file1 are marked with (dashes); those added to file2 with (pluses). Lines that are changed from one file to the other are marked in both files with (exclamation marks). If both rev1 and rev2 are omitted, compares the latest revision on the trunk with the contents of the corresponding working file. This is useful for determining what was changed since the last check-in. If rev1 is given, but rev2 is omitted, compares revision rev1 of the RCS file with the contents of the corresponding working file. If both rev1 and rev2 are given, compares revisions rev1 and rev2 of the RCS file. Both rev1 and rev2 can be given numerically or symbolically. EXAMPLES
Compare the latest trunk revision of RCS file and the contents of working file Compare the revisions 1.1 and 1.2 in the RCS file AUTHOR
was developed by Walter F. Tichy. SEE ALSO
ci(1), co(1), diff(1), ident(1), rcs(1), rcsmerge(1), rlog(1), rcsfile(4), rcsintro(5). rcsdiff(1)