Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Urgent - Single User Mode -Unisys System V Release 4.0 Post 302137478 by liverpool on Tuesday 25th of September 2007 08:43:39 AM
Old 09-25-2007
Urgent - Single User Mode -Unisys System V Release 4.0

Hello All,

I have a Unisys 6000/65 machine running Unix System V Release 4.0.My problem is that we received an error that said "SPCS error occurred"and "vxfs:vx -ilisterr-inode 62585 mark bad /filesystem".The machine was stuck and I had to restart it.Now I cannot login from any workstation or the console with any user accounts or passwords.How do I get into single user mode?During the boot process you get a message saying "starting unix boot loader" and another shortly thereafter saying "booting unix".Pressing any key at this stage prompts you to choose a kernel to boot.The networking part works fine as you can ping the box but just can't log onto it.

Thanks
PS:You will be forgiven for not having heard of the Unisys 6000/65 or that version of unix for that matter.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode

Hi all, why "vi" acts differently is single user mode? Does anyone help ? I am using "x" to delete and it keeps messing up. Please help Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest100
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Single user mode

Hi all, Well back at work and back to crashing systems again :-) Does anyone know where I can find some decent information on single user mode? I need to be able to fix a few things. Don't know if it's possible in single user mode but I need to fix the "etc/vfstab" mainly I re-wrote it to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single-user mode

how do you boot into single user mode? RedHat 7.1 Caldera 2.4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorro81
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

Is there another way of switching to single user mode except by typing /usr/sbin/shutdown 0 ??? :rolleyes: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

How to diable the single user mode.. what i want is dat my users are unable to boot in single user mode via GRUB.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankit.jss
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to Single user mode?

How to enter single user mode when UNIX/LINUX system is starting? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gkreddy
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis
3 Replies

8. Solaris

urgent: single-user-mode, /var/tmp read-only

this is the situation: Power outage. Root mirror (svm). it goes to single-user-mode, asking for fsck. Fsck suceeds for one disk, but fail for the other. I can't use vi-editor, it says /var/tmp/Xz12a is a read-only file system. I need to break the mirror, there's no copy of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sun Fire
2 Replies

9. BSD

single user mode under system v

Hello! I am new to the forum and I need help on restoring root user's password or access the form of single user mode under operating system very long-standing family bsd - Unix system V I think it's also called srv4. I managed to enter the owner of IPL, and a moment after the rise of system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmalool
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Single user mode

Dear All I am trying to install my os as : ok>boot cdrom - install but receiving the following : "IDprom checksum error getexecname() failed /sbin/rcS /etc/vfstab cannot create INIT:failed write utmpx enrty INIT:single user mode INIT:execle of /etc/sulogin failed Enter run level" Can you... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies
giftopnm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       giftopnm(1)

NAME
giftopnm - convert a GIF file into a portable anymap SYNOPSIS
giftopnm [--alphaout={alpha-filename,-}] [-verbose] [-comments] [-image N] [GIFfile] DESCRIPTION
This is a graphics format converter from the GIF format to the PNM (i.e. PBM, PGM, or PPM) format. If the image contains only black and maximally bright white, the output is PBM. If the image contains more than those two colors, but only grays, the output is PGM. If the image contains other colors, the output is PPM. If you have an animated GIF file, you can extract individual frames from it with gifsicle and then convert those using giftopnm. A GIF image contains rectangular pixels. They all have the same aspect ratio, but may not be square (it's actually quite unusual for them not to be square, but it could happen). The pixels of a Netpbm image are always square. Because of the engineering complexity to do oth- erwise, giftopnm converts a GIF image to a Netpbm image pixel-for-pixel. This means if the GIF pixels are not square, the Netpbm output image has the wrong aspect ratio. In this case, giftopnm issues an informational message telling you to run pnmscale to correct the out- put. OPTIONS
--alphaout=alpha-filename giftopnm creates a PGM (portable graymap) file containing the alpha channel values in the input image. If the input image doesn't contain an alpha channel, the alpha-filename file contains all zero (transparent) alpha values. If you don't specify --alphaout, giftopnm does not generate an alpha file, and if the input image has an alpha channel, giftopnm simply discards it. If you specify - as the filename, giftopnm writes the alpha output to Standard Output and discards the image. See pnmcomp(1) for one way to use the alpha output file. -verbose Produce verbose output about the GIF file input. -comments Only output GIF89 comment fields. -image N Output the specified gif image from the input GIF archive (where N is '1', '2', '20'...). Normally there is only one image per file, so this option is not needed. All flags can be abbreviated to their shortest unique prefix. RESTRICTIONS
This does not correctly handle the Plain Text Extension of the GIF89 standard, since I did not have any example input files containing them. SEE ALSO
ppmtogif(1), ppmcolormask(1), pnmcomp(1), gifsicle(1) <http://www.lcdf.org/gifsicle>, ppm(5). AUTHOR
Copyright (c) 1993 by David Koblas (koblas@netcom.com) LICENSE
If you use giftopnm, you are using a patent on the LZW compression method which is owned by Unisys, and in all probability you do not have a license from Unisys to do so. Unisys typically asks $5000 for a license for trivial use of the patent. Unisys has never enforced the patent against trivial users, and has made statements that it is much less concerned about people using the patent for decompression (which is what giftopnm does than for compression. The patent expires in 2003 / 2004, depending on the country. Rumor has it that IBM also owns a patent covering giftopnm. A replacement for the GIF format that does not require any patents to use is the PNG format. 13 January 2001 giftopnm(1)