Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Waiting time of Process
Operating Systems AIX Waiting time of Process Post 302137000 by johnf on Friday 21st of September 2007 02:06:08 AM
Old 09-21-2007
The last 4 columns show the way the cpu / cpus are being sliced. User / Sys / idle / wait. With the idle at 99% this machine is not working to hard! A high figure in the wait column would be the machine is usually I/O bound either memory or disk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

waiting process

how to know the information of the waiting process how to calculate the time of the process that it has taken to execute i want to make a program that Should be able to keep a log of the processes expired(The log should contain the starting time, expiry time, time slices used, total execution... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shukla_chanchal
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process(s) ID waiting on IO?

Hello Experts!! My CPU is waiting a lot (around 33%) on I/O. I would like to find out what process(s) are waiting on the i/o. Below is my real time output of vmstat and sar. Thanks for you help !!!! Regards Citrus OS: AIX - 5L : /u2/oracle >oslevel 5.3.0.0 : /u2/oracle... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Citrus143
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Waiting for a background process to finish

Hello, I am a novice shell script programmer. And facing this problem any help is appreciated. I m writing a shell script and running few commands in it background as I have to run them simultaneously. Sample code : sql_prog & sql_prog & sql_prog & echo "Process Completed" Here... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetbhati
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Waiting for an arbitrary background process (limiting number of jobs running)

Hi, I'm trying to write a script to decompress a directory full of files. The decompression commands can run in the background, so that many can run at once. But I want to limit the number running at any one time, so that I don't overload the machine. Something like this: n=0 for i in *.gz... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: p.f.moore
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Waiting for the background process to finish

Hi, I have on shell script which internally calls more than one scripts which run in background. These scripts cannot be modified to run in foreground. eg. myscript.sh -> bulk_launcher.sh -> acq_launcher.sh -> bulk_loader.sh I want the calling shell script myscript.sh to wait till the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AB10
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

waiting on jobs in bash, allowing limited parallel jobs at one time, and then for all to finish

Hello, I am running GNU bash, version 3.2.39(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu). I have a specific question pertaining to waiting on jobs run in sub-shells, based on the max number of parallel processes I want to allow, and then wait... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srao
1 Replies

7. AIX

How to measure waiting time in run queue?

Hello guys, I am doing a performance analysis on one of our psystem. Most of time I am using Nmon analyser to do my trend graph. But I can't find any help with it. We are interesting in the time spend by tasks in Aix run queue. After looking the Aix documentation, I am pessimist to find any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GiiGii
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Waiting for a process to complete in shell script

Hi, I need to initiate a process script which will start and do some processing and then shuts down. Then i need to other verifications. But the the process takes around 25 to 3o minutes. One thing i can monitor the nohup.out file for this process where i can wait for shutting down statement to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prashanth19
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to detect that foreground process is waiting for input?

Hi, I have to create a script (ksh or perl) that starts certain number of parallel jobs (another scripts), each of them runs as a foreground process in a separate session. Plus I start monitoring job that has to determine if any of those scripts is expecting input from operator, and switch to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyh80
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subprocess.popen() should write to log without waiting for process to complete

Here is my test code process = sp.Popen( + , bufsize=1, universal_newlines=True, stdout=sp.PIPE, stderr=sp.STDOUT, cwd=src_home) output, _ =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
2 Replies
sys_attrs_pwrmgr(5)						File Formats Manual					       sys_attrs_pwrmgr(5)

NAME
sys_attrs_pwrmgr - pwrmgr subsystem attributes DESCRIPTION
This reference page lists and describes attributes for the Power Manager (pwrmgr) kernel subsystem. To change these attributes so that they take effect each time you boot the system, you create a stanza file with the attribute settings you want and then use the sysconfigdb com- mand to update the system configuration database with the information in this file. See the EXAMPLES section for more information about this process. Refer to the sys_attrs(5) reference page for an general introduction to the topic of kernel subsystem attributes. A value that enables (1) or disables (0) CPU slowdown after the CPU becomes idle. A value that enables (1) or disables (0) all power management functions (for CPU, disks, and graphics hardware). The number of min- utes to wait before powering down registered disks after they become idle. A value that enables (1) or disables (0) disk spindown after registered disks become idle. The number of minutes before entering DPMS off mode after display hardware has become idle. If you specify 0 for this attribute, DPMS off mode is disabled. A value that enables (1) or disables (0) Display Power Management Signaling (DPMS) modes for graphics display hardware. The number of minutes before entering DPMS standby mode after display hardware has become idle. If you specify 0 for this attribute, DPMS standby mode is disabled. The number of minutes before entering DPMS suspend mode after display hardware has become idle. If you specify 0 for this attribute, DPMS suspend mode is disabled. EXAMPLES
The following example shows a sample stanza file named power_mgr.stanza: pwrmgr: default_pwrmgr_state=1 cpu_slowdown=1 disk_spindown=1 disk_dwell_time=20 graphics_powerdown=1 graphics_standby_dwell=5 graphics_suspend_dwell=10 graphics_off_dwell=15 This file: Enables power management in general, plus all three of the power management options for idle hardware (CPU slowdown, disk spin- down, and DPMS modes for graphics displays) Specifies a wait of 20 minutes before spinning down a disk after it has become idle Specifies a wait of 5, 10, and 15 minutes before entering DPMS standby, suspend, and off modes, respectively, after graphics display hardware has become idle See stanza(4) for more information about stanza files. The following command updates the /etc/sysconfigtab database with the information in the stanza file: # sysconfigdb -a -f power_mgr.stanza pwrmgr See sysconfigdb(8) for more information about using this command to update the system configuration database. SEE ALSO
Commands: sysconfigdb(8) Files: stanza(4) Others: sys_attrs(5) System Administration sys_attrs_pwrmgr(5)