Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting a string from one file and searching the same string in other files Post 302136648 by SanjayLinux on Wednesday 19th of September 2007 03:17:59 AM
Old 09-19-2007
Hammer & Screwdriver Try This one

Let say you have file1 without delimeter and you want first 10 char as pattern to search in another files.

#!/bin/sh
cut -c1-10 file1 >pattern.txt
for pattern in `cat pattern.txt`
do
find $pattern file_name1 file_name2
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for files with certain string pattern

Hello All I would like to search for files containing certain string pattern under all the directories under /vobs/vobname and print the output to a file in my home directory. How can I do this? Note: /vobs/vobname conatins several directories. Thank You in advance newbetounix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: intrigue
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching for a string in a file

I need to search for a specific string in a file and if this string exist I need to replace it with something else. I am not sure how I could do this, using an if statement. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting particular string in a file and storing matched string in output file

Hi , I have input file and i want to extract below strings <msisdn xmlns="">0492001956</ msisdn> => numaber inside brackets <resCode>3000</resCode> => 3000 needs to be extracted <resMessage>Request time getBalances_PSM.c(37): d out</resMessage></ns2:getBalancesResponse> => the word... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushmab82
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching each file for a string

Hi Guys... I want to search for each file that contains a particular string. e.g find . -print | xargs grep -i string_name Now my issue is the files that I search in are gzipped. Will I be able to find the string, using the above commands, even if the files are gzipped? Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching the required string and appending string to it.

Hi all, I have some data in the form of adc|nvhs|nahssn|njadnk|nkfds in the above data i need to write a script so thet it will append "|||" to the third occurnace in the string ..... the outout should look like adc|nvhs|nahssn||||njadnk|nkfds Thanks, Firestar. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using columns from 2 files and extracting string

Hi All, I have 2 files with a common column. File 1 looks like NAME START POS1 POS2 N1 1234 1236 1237 N2 1245 1248 1250 .. .. File 2 looks like NAME STRING N1 ABCDEFGH N2 EFGHBCD N3 PQRSSTUV .. ...... ... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpesh
25 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep exact string from files and write to filename when string present in file

I am attempting to grep an exact string from a series of files within a directory and append that output to the filename when it is present in the file. I've been after this all day with no luck. Thanks for your help in advance :wall:. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a particular string pattern in 10000 files

Problem Statement:- I need to search a particular `String Pattern` in around `10000 files` and find the records which contains that `particular pattern`. I can use `grep` here, but it is taking lots of time. Below is the command I am using to search a `particular string pattern` after... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raihan26
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep string in files and list file names that contain the string

Hi, I have a list of zipped files. I want to grep for a string in all files and get a list of file names that contain the string. But without unzipping them before that, more like using something like gzcat. My OS is: SunOS test 5.10 Generic_142900-13 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on searching for a string on multiple files

Hi all, I am sure some gurus will find a better way of doing this. FYI, I've manually modified some of the data 'coz they are somewhat confidential, so there may be some typo errors. At the moment, I have 3 files that I am trying to search for. Sometime in the future, it may go beyond 3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - differential file comparator SYNOPSIS
diff [ -efbh ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Diff tells what lines must be changed in two files to bring them into agreement. If file1 (file2) is `-', the standard input is used. If file1 (file2) is a directory, then a file in that directory whose file-name is the same as the file-name of file2 (file1) is used. The normal output contains lines of these forms: n1 a n3,n4 n1,n2 d n3 n1,n2 c n3,n4 These lines resemble ed commands to convert file1 into file2. The numbers after the letters pertain to file2. In fact, by exchanging `a' for `d' and reading backward one may ascertain equally how to convert file2 into file1. As in ed, identical pairs where n1 = n2 or n3 = n4 are abbreviated as a single number. Following each of these lines come all the lines that are affected in the first file flagged by `<', then all the lines that are affected in the second file flagged by `>'. The -b option causes trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) to be ignored and other strings of blanks to compare equal. The -e option produces a script of a, c and d commands for the editor ed, which will recreate file2 from file1. The -f option produces a similar script, not useful with ed, in the opposite order. In connection with -e, the following shell program may help maintain multiple versions of a file. Only an ancestral file ($1) and a chain of version-to-version ed scripts ($2,$3,...) made by diff need be on hand. A `latest version' appears on the standard output. (shift; cat $*; echo '1,$p') | ed - $1 Except in rare circumstances, diff finds a smallest sufficient set of file differences. Option -h does a fast, half-hearted job. It works only when changed stretches are short and well separated, but does work on files of unlimited length. Options -e and -f are unavailable with -h. FILES
/tmp/d????? /usr/lib/diffh for -h SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), ed(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no differences, 1 for some, 2 for trouble. BUGS
Editing scripts produced under the -e or -f option are naive about creating lines consisting of a single `.'. DIFF(1)