Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming question on conditional compilation Post 302136404 by the_learner on Monday 17th of September 2007 03:53:26 PM
Old 09-17-2007
question on conditional compilation

Hey, can I #define something outside the source file ?

I have a C program which uses #ifdef..

Code:
#ifdef ABC
 ... do this..
#else
 ... that ...
#endif

The usual way that I know of defining ABC is in the source/header file

Code:
#define ABC

But is there any other way to do that ? Maybe as an option to pass to the compiler ?

The reason is, I just want to run one script/makefile which will compile both versions of the progra, with ABC defined and without ABC defined.. without having to make changes in the source code.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

compilation problem

i have a class name 1.c in tht i am using function n wich has his body in 2.c and declaration in 2.h now how can i compile 1.c. ex; 1.c int main() { //some data n(10); //somedata } ***** 2.c int n(int k) { //some data } int main() { some data (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani_sree
2 Replies

2. Programming

C Question compilation error

What does the following mean: state_field state_abvr = { "AL","ALABAMA", "AK","ALASKA", . . . }; extern state_field state_abvr; issues we I am facing following compilation issue bosdf9d1:root make CC -I/bto/bcs/shared/include -I/bto/sys/BCS/usr/include ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaganreddy
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compilation

Hi All, We have a C program existing in one of the folders which I have to modify a lil bit, When I'm trying to compile the program using GCC or CC command its showing as ksh: gcc: not found is that mean there is no compiler or do I have to verify for something, please advice Thank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: diggermf
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Makefile conditional compilation giving error

Hi , Please answer my query: I want to create a common make file for one of mylibrary such that it should work on both Sun as well as Linux on 32 and 64 bit system. The flow is sth like this: .............. .............. if$(OS) == solaris BINDIR= ../../lib/solaris/64 else BINDIR=... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unisuraj
1 Replies

5. Programming

Conditional Compilation based on Environmental Variable in Unix

I want to be able to access an environment variable to control how a program is compiled. So: export MY_VERSN=9 Then ideally, within my C++ code, I would have #if MY_VERSN = 9 iret = FRED9() #else iret = FRED() #endif The way I thought I could do it is that in the script that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrighterLater
2 Replies

6. Programming

C Compilation problem

Dear all I am new to C programming In response to the post cat get_time.c #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/time.h> main() { struct timeval tv; struct timezone tz; struct tm *tm; gettimeofday(&tv, &tz); tm=localtime(&tv.tv_sec); printf("... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: on9west
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Easy if conditional question.

I'm just starting this whole scripting thing, and I'm trying to write a simple script which will ask the user to press a key between 3-7. If they press a key that's not between 3-7, it will tell the user such. Here's my script: #!/bin/bash blah=1 echo -n "Press a key from 3-7." read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SlickStretch
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compilation

Hi All, Do we have a way to compile a shell program? I am using ksh/bash/sh and not CSH. Cheers Ravi (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: panyam
12 Replies

9. Programming

Compilation C program

Hi guys... Im trying to compile a program written in C.. I am able to compile it to X86, especifically Ubuntu.. But i cant compile it to mips ar71xx architecture.. im using mips-linux-uclibc-gcc cross compiler. this is the portion of code: //STAT: LOGIN INFO // 3. login info i =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lordtrex
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional IF Question

I trying to get a simple script to see if a directory contains any files in it. I am failing on the conditional IF statement. I am not sure if it because the command I am using is creating the variable as a string or if it is numeric or if I just have the syntax wrong. #!/usr/bin/ksh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: awkwardone
2 Replies
PMCPP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  PMCPP(1)

NAME
pmcpp - simple preprocessor for the Performance Co-Pilot SYNOPSIS
pmcpp [-D name[=value] ...] [infile] DESCRIPTION
pmcpp provides a very simple pre-processor for manipulating Performance Metric Name Space (PMNS) files for the Performance Co-Pilot (PCP). It is most commonly used internally to process the PMNS file(s) after pmLoadNameSpace(3) or pmLoadASCIINameSpace(3) is called. Input lines are read from infile (or standard input if infile is not specified), processed and written to standard output. All C-style comments of the form /* ... */ are stripped from the input stream. There are no predefined macros for pmcpp although macros may be defined on the command line using the -D option, where name and value must follow the same rules as described below for the #define directive. pmcpp accepts the following directives in the input stream (like cpp(1)): * #include "filename" or #include <filename> In either case the directory search path for filename tries filename first, then the directory for the command line infile (if any), followed by the $PCP_VAR_DIR/pmns directory. #include directives may be nested, up to a maximum depth of 5. * #define name value Defines a value for the macro name which must be a valid C-style name, so leading alphabetic or ``_'' followed by zero or more alphanu- merics or ``_''. value is optional (and defaults to an empty value) but when present it may not contain white space and quoting or escaping is not supported. * #undef name Removes the macro definition, if any, for name. * #ifdef name ... #endif or #ifndef name ... #endif The enclosing lines will be stripped or included, depending if the macro name is defined or not. Macro substitution is achieved by breaking the input stream into words separated by white space or one of the characters ``.'' or ``:'' - this matches the syntax of the PMNS, see pmns(5). Each word is checked and if it matches a macro name, the word is replaced by the macro value, otherwise the word is unchanged. There is generally one output line for each input line, although the line may be empty if the text has been stripped due to the handling of comments or conditional directives. When there is a change in the input stream, an additional output line is generated of the form: # line "name" to indicate the following line of output corresponds to line number line of the input file name. Important cpp(1) features that are not supported by pmcpp include: * #if expr ... #endif * Nested use of #ifdef or #ifndef. * #else within an #ifdef or #ifndef. * Stripping C++ style comments, as in // comment * Error recovery - the first error encountered by pmcpp will be fatal. * cpp(1) command line options like -U , -P and -I. PCP ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables with the prefix PCP_ are used to parameterize the file and directory names used by PCP. On each installation, the file /etc/pcp.conf contains the local values for these variables. The $PCP_CONF variable may be used to specify an alternative configura- tion file, as described in pcp.conf(5). SEE ALSO
cpp(1), pmLoadASCIINameSpace(3), pmLoadNameSpace(3), pmns(5), pcp.conf(5) and pcp.env(5). Performance Co-Pilot PMCPP(1)