Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting comm not working for this case. HELP! Post 302135960 by sslr on Thursday 13th of September 2007 09:43:20 PM
Old 09-13-2007
comm not working for this case. HELP!

I have two sorted files.
newfile has records like:
aaa|bbb|ccc|||
ddd||eee|fff||

oldfile has records like:
aaa|bbb|ccc|
ggg||hhh|fff

The output should like:
ddd||eee|fff||

I use comm but it's not working for this case.
comm -2 -3 newfile oldfile > difffile

The difffile is the same as newfile. How to get the output I want? Could anyone help me?
Thanks in advance!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to select and delete lower case and mixed case records

HELLO ALL, URGENTLY NEEDED A SCRIPT TO SELECT AND DELETE LOWER AND MIXED CASE RECORDS FROM A COLUMN IN A TABLE. FOR EXAMPLE : Table name is EMPLOYEE and the column name is CITY and the CITY column records will be: Newyork washington ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhilash mn
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

comm not working

Hi Sorry if this a repeat question, I have the following two files. Both are sorted. file1 ---- CSCeb69473 CSCsg70355 CSCsj78917 CSCsj85065 CSCsl48743 CSCsl72823 CSCsl77748 file2 ---- CSCsg39295 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitrajvarma
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion from Upper Case to Lower Case Condition based

Hello Unix Gurus : It would be really appreciative if can find a solution for this . I have records in a file . I need to Capitalize the records based on condition . For Example i tried the following Command COMMAND --> fgrep "2000YUYU" /export/home/oracle/TST/data.dat | tr '' ''... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsbiju
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switch Case not working

My switch case is not working properly. When I press 6 or 'r' it prints out all the names of the project and the error message. #!/bin/bash while true; do read -p "Enter project number (1/2/3/10/20/30):" menu #grabs the informations of the project number and stores it into a menu... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rapcher
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case statement not working as expected

case "$freq" in " Hz") low=250; high=550;; "8 Hz") low=250; high=1000;; " Hz") low=400; high=1000;; "63 Hz") low=550; high=1000;; " Hz") low=400; high=550;; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change first letter of a word from lower case to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to find a way to change first letter in a word from lower case to upper case. It should be done for each first word in text or in paragraph, and also for each word after punctuation like . ; : ! ?I found the following command sed -i 's/\s*./\U&\E/g' $@ filenamebut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to ignore Case with in COMM command?

Hi, How can i ignore case between 2 files in unix using COMM command. 2 input files are: -bash-4.1$ more x2.txt HELLO hi HI raj -bash-4.1$ more x3.txt hello hi raj COMM command: -bash-4.1$ comm x2.txt x3.txt hello HELLO hi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash read input in case statement not working as expected

I'm having an issue with bash read input when using a case statement. The script halts and doesn't read the input on the first loop. if I hit enter then the scripts starts to respond as expected. Need some help here. defaultans=8hrs read -e -i $defaultans -p "${bldwht}How long would you like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
5 Replies
diffmk(1)							   User Commands							 diffmk(1)

NAME
diffmk - mark differences between versions of a troff input file SYNOPSIS
diffmk oldfile newfile markedfile DESCRIPTION
diffmk compares two versions of a file and creates a third version that includes "change mark" (.mc) commands for nroff(1) and troff(1). oldfile and newfile are the old and new versions of the file. diffmk generates markedfile, which, contains the text from newfile with troff(1) "change mark" requests (.mc) inserted where newfile differs from oldfile. When markedfile is formatted, changed or inserted text is shown by | at the right margin of each line. The position of deleted text is shown by a single *. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of diffmk when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: An example of the diffmk command. diffmk can also be used in conjunction with the proper troff requests to produce program listings with marked changes. In the following command line: example% diffmk old.c new.c marked.c ; nroff reqs marked.c | pr the file reqs contains the following troff requests: .pl 1 .ll 77 .nf .eo .nh which eliminate page breaks, adjust the line length, set no-fill mode, ignore escape characters, and turn off hyphenation, respectively. If the characters | and * are inappropriate, you might run markedfile through sed(1) to globally change them. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
diff(1), nroff(1), sed(1), troff(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) BUGS
Aesthetic considerations may dictate manual adjustment of some output. File differences involving only formatting requests may produce undesirable output, that is, replacing .sp by .sp 2 will produce a "change mark" on the preceding or following line of output. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 diffmk(1)