Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How big is my awk array?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How big is my awk array? Post 302135513 by Klashxx on Monday 10th of September 2007 08:41:12 AM
Old 09-10-2007
Use a counter:

Code:
awk -F"\",\"" 'NR != 1 {
                           per[$10]++
                           sum += $10
                           if ( per[$10] == 1 )
                                c++
                   }
                   END {
                       print ARGV[ARGIND]
                       print "Array obj:",c
                       for (i in per)
                           print i" : "per[i]
                       print "Total : "sum
                       print "Lines : "(NR -1)
                   }' $FILES

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk not working as expected with BIG files ...

I am facing some strange problem. I know, there is only one record in a file 'test.txt' which starts with 'X' I ensure that with following command, awk /^X/ test.txt | wc -l This gives me output = '1'. Now I take out this record out of the file, as follows : awk /^X/ test.txt >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Big data file - sed/grep/awk?

Morning guys. Another day another question. :rolleyes: I am knocking up a script to pull some data from a file. The problem is the file is very big (up to 1 gig in size), so this solution: for results in `grep "^\ ... works, but takes ages (we're talking minutes) to run. The data is held... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlam
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl or awk/egrep from big files??

Hi experts. In one thread i have asked you how to grep the string from the below sample file- Unfortunately the script did not gave proper output (it missed many strings). It happened may be i did gave you the proper contents of the file That was the script- "$ perl -00nle'print join... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk with really big files

Hi, I have a text file that is around 7Gb which is basically a matrix of numbers (FS is a space and RS is \n). I need the most efficient way of plucking out a number from a specified row and column in the file. For example, for the value at row 15983, col 26332, I'm currently I'm using: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jonny2Vests
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk column comparison big file

Hi all, I would like to compare a column in one file to a column in another file and when there is a match it prints the first column and the corresponding second column. Example File1 ABA ABC ABE ABF File 2 ABA 123 ABB 124 ABD 125 ABC 126 So what I would like printed to a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcg
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - Parse a big file

INPUT SAMPLE Symmetrix ID : 000192601507 Masking View Name : TS00P22_13E_1 Last updated at : 05:10:18 AM on Tue Mar 22,2011 Initiator Group Name : 10000000c960b9cd Host Initiators { WWN : 10000000c960b9cd } Port Group Name :... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: greycells
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Assign an shell array to awk array?

Hello All, Can you please help me with the below. #!/bin/bash ARR="No Differences In Stage Between HASH_TOTALS & HASH_TOTALS_COMP For UNINUM:0722075 PROVIDER:5 EXTRACT_DT:30-SEP-12 VER_NUM:1" ARR="No Differences In Stage Between HASH_TOTALS & HASH_TOTALS_COMP For UNINUM:0722075 PROVIDER:5... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a big file into multiple files using awk

this thread is a continuation from previous thread https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/223901-split-big-file-into-multiple-files-based-first-four-characters.html ..I am using awk to split file and I have a syntax error while executing the below code I am using AIX 7.2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: etldev
4 Replies
UNAME(1)								FSF								  UNAME(1)

NAME
uname - print system information SYNOPSIS
uname [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Print certain system information. With no OPTION, same as -s. -a, --all print all information, in the following order: -s, --kernel-name print the kernel name -n, --nodename print the network node hostname -r, --kernel-release print the kernel release -v, --kernel-version print the kernel version -m, --machine print the machine hardware name -p, --processor print the processor type -i, --hardware-platform print the hardware platform -o, --operating-system print the operating system --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for uname is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and uname programs are properly installed at your site, the command info uname should give you access to the complete manual. uname (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 UNAME(1)