Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How big is my awk array?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How big is my awk array? Post 302135504 by pondlife on Monday 10th of September 2007 07:57:24 AM
Old 09-10-2007
How big is my awk array?

Hi All,

I'm creating a script that goes through some csv files (output from sar) trying to get some statistics on system performance. This is the code I have so far:

Code:

awk -F"\",\"" 'NR != 1 {
                           per[$10]++
                           sum += $10
                   }
                   END {
                       print ARGV[ARGIND]
                       for (i in per)
                           print i" : "per[i]
                       print "Total : "sum
                       print "Lines : "(NR -1)
                   }' $FILES

The input files have a header line which accounts for the "NR !=1" and "(NR - 1)".

What I need to do is normalise the data working out the 90th and 95th percentile (I haven't quite got to the math part yet - I'm going to try and calculate the cumulative frequency first... ). So what I believe I need to do next is sort my array - but I don't know how many elements are stored in it. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Some example output here (from just one input file):

Code:
snsax-psmpw-5-2007-01-07_MemorySwapUtilisation.csv
9.63 : 1
9.64 : 20
9.6 : 1
9.65 : 29
9.66 : 17
9.87 : 11
9.78 : 1
9.89 : 1
9.61 : 38
9.62 : 24
Total : 1380.4
Lines : 143

Thanks in advance Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk not working as expected with BIG files ...

I am facing some strange problem. I know, there is only one record in a file 'test.txt' which starts with 'X' I ensure that with following command, awk /^X/ test.txt | wc -l This gives me output = '1'. Now I take out this record out of the file, as follows : awk /^X/ test.txt >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Big data file - sed/grep/awk?

Morning guys. Another day another question. :rolleyes: I am knocking up a script to pull some data from a file. The problem is the file is very big (up to 1 gig in size), so this solution: for results in `grep "^\ ... works, but takes ages (we're talking minutes) to run. The data is held... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlam
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl or awk/egrep from big files??

Hi experts. In one thread i have asked you how to grep the string from the below sample file- Unfortunately the script did not gave proper output (it missed many strings). It happened may be i did gave you the proper contents of the file That was the script- "$ perl -00nle'print join... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk with really big files

Hi, I have a text file that is around 7Gb which is basically a matrix of numbers (FS is a space and RS is \n). I need the most efficient way of plucking out a number from a specified row and column in the file. For example, for the value at row 15983, col 26332, I'm currently I'm using: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jonny2Vests
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk column comparison big file

Hi all, I would like to compare a column in one file to a column in another file and when there is a match it prints the first column and the corresponding second column. Example File1 ABA ABC ABE ABF File 2 ABA 123 ABB 124 ABD 125 ABC 126 So what I would like printed to a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcg
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - Parse a big file

INPUT SAMPLE Symmetrix ID : 000192601507 Masking View Name : TS00P22_13E_1 Last updated at : 05:10:18 AM on Tue Mar 22,2011 Initiator Group Name : 10000000c960b9cd Host Initiators { WWN : 10000000c960b9cd } Port Group Name :... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: greycells
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Assign an shell array to awk array?

Hello All, Can you please help me with the below. #!/bin/bash ARR="No Differences In Stage Between HASH_TOTALS & HASH_TOTALS_COMP For UNINUM:0722075 PROVIDER:5 EXTRACT_DT:30-SEP-12 VER_NUM:1" ARR="No Differences In Stage Between HASH_TOTALS & HASH_TOTALS_COMP For UNINUM:0722075 PROVIDER:5... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a big file into multiple files using awk

this thread is a continuation from previous thread https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/223901-split-big-file-into-multiple-files-based-first-four-characters.html ..I am using awk to split file and I have a syntax error while executing the below code I am using AIX 7.2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: etldev
4 Replies
sar(1M) 						  System Administration Commands						   sar(1M)

NAME
sar, sa1, sa2, sadc - system activity report package SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/sa/sadc [t n] [ofile] /usr/lib/sa/sa1 [t n] /usr/lib/sa/sa2 [-aAbcdgkmpqruvwy] [-e time] [-f filename] [-i sec] [-s time] DESCRIPTION
System activity data can be accessed at the special request of a user (see sar(1)) and automatically, on a routine basis, as described here. The operating system contains several counters that are incremented as various system actions occur. These include counters for CPU utilization, buffer usage, disk and tape I/O activity, TTY device activity, switching and system-call activity, file-access, queue activ- ity, inter-process communications, and paging. For more general system statistics, use iostat(1M), sar(1), or vmstat(1M). sadc and two shell procedures, sa1 and sa2, are used to sample, save, and process this data. sadc, the data collector, samples system data n times, with an interval of t seconds between samples, and writes in binary format to ofile or to standard output. The sampling interval t should be greater than 5 seconds; otherwise, the activity of sadc itself may affect the sam- ple. If t and n are omitted, a special record is written. This facility can be used at system boot time, when booting to a multi-user state, to mark the time at which the counters restart from zero. For example, when accounting is enabled, the svc:/system/sar:default ser- vice writes the restart mark to the daily data file using the command entry: su sys -c "/usr/lib/sa/sadc /var/adm/sa/sa'date +%d'" The shell script sa1, a variant of sadc, is used to collect and store data in the binary file /var/adm/sa/sadd, where dd is the current day. The arguments t and n cause records to be written n times at an interval of t seconds, or once if omitted. The following entries in /var/spool/cron/crontabs/sys will produce records every 20 minutes during working hours and hourly otherwise: 0 * * * 0-6 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 20,40 8-17 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 See crontab(1) for details. The shell script sa2, a variant of sar, writes a daily report in the file /var/adm/sa/sardd. See the OPTIONS section in sar(1) for an explanation of the various options. The following entry in /var/spool/cron/crontabs/sys will report important activities hourly during the working day: 5 18 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa2 -s 8:00 -e 18:01 -i 1200 -A FILES
/tmp/sa.adrfl address file /var/adm/sa/sadd Daily data file /var/adm/sa/sardd Daily report file /var/spool/cron/crontabs/sys ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWaccu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
crontab(1), sag(1), sar(1), svcs(1), timex(1), iostat(1M), svcadm(1M), vmstat(1M), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The sar service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/sar Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.11 20 Aug 2004 sar(1M)