Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting confused with regular expression Post 302135337 by robotronic on Saturday 8th of September 2007 01:58:11 AM
Old 09-08-2007
If you're using gnu sed, there's the "-i" option which edits the input file in place:

Code:
sed -i "..." input_file.txt

Try the man page for more details. If you don't have gnu sed you have to use an intermediate file like you said.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression + Aritmetical Expression

Is it possible to combine a regular expression with a aritmetical expression? For example, taking a 8-numbers caracter sequece and casting each output of a grep, comparing to a constant. THX! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Z0mby
2 Replies

2. Linux

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" .... i need regular expression

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression

Hi I have to extract the first field and the last %field of the following out put.. /home (/abc/def/bhd ) : 522328 total allocated Kb 319448 free allocated Kb ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harikrishna
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression Help

Hi What is the meaning of this in regular expression $k =~ s/^\s*//; Plz explain (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harikrishna
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression

Hi, I have the following file as shown below: Replace() { sed -e "s+ABCDIR+$DDIR/C+g" \ -e "s+ABCDIR+$DDIR/C+g" \ -e "s + ABCDDIR+$DDIR/C"\ } I need a Regular expression to grep 0nly ABCDIR. if i use grep -i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi_rn
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression Help

Hi there, I have a line in a coded text from which the formtat is DEF/AAA/AAA/AAA/AAA/AAA/AAA/AAA/AAA/AAA where A equals a letter but the fields after the DEF/ are optional. Which means the line could look like DEF/AAA or DEF/AAA/AAA etc etc I am trying to a find regular... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sickboy
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected: with regular expression

CA_RELEASE has a value of 6. I need to check if that this is a numeric value. if not error. source $CA_VERSION_DATA if * ] then echo "CA_RELESE $CA_RELEASE is invalid" exit -1 fi + source /etc/ncgl/ca_version_data ++ CA_PRODUCT_ID=samxts ++ CA_RELEASE=6 ++ CA_WEEK_NO=7 ++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkee1985
3 Replies

8. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression

Hello, I want to extract text between <td class="di_resultscolumnheader"> and </td>. I wrote the below code to extract text. But I am able to extract the text for the first match only. Can some one help me in this? Thanks in advance. Code: if ($line =~ /<td... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koneru_18
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)