Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting set password using a shell script Post 302135185 by tannu on Thursday 6th of September 2007 07:55:43 PM
Old 09-06-2007
set password using a shell script

Hi All

How can I set password in linux.It is OK if it display password in plain text in script.
manually i can set:
Code:
#passwd
Changing password for root
Enter new password:
Bad password: too weak.
Re-enter new password:
Password changed.
#

I want this to be done by script.Please let me know.

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 03-29-2010 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: added code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I set Password to open my shell script?

Hi All, please help me on how to secure my shell script? I chnanged it to read-only mode using 'chmod'. but still i would like to set password for open the script. Is there any way? Please help me!! Thankyou all in advance!! :b: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to set password/encrypt a shell script

Hi, I have written a shell script in unix for my customer. Now I want to make it only execute and not to read/write. Can anybody help me how to set password protect/encript my script. Thanks Suresh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to set the password from *LK* to *NP*

okay here I go again... I have created a script which adds new user to /etc/password and which inturn creating a locked password in /etc/shadow but I am expecting to have *NP* for that particular user.Can someone help me with a script which can set the password for a particular user to NP in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sintilash
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to set permission on password files in script

Hi Techies I am stuck in a problem, I have written a script which is calling a second script which contains some command and password for quering on database. I do not want to disclose this command or specially password file. Please help.. Please have a look on directory structure and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atul9806
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to set non-expiry password

Hi All, I have a gateway server, from where I can connect any server via 'sudo ssh server_name'. Generally, if we need to run a command on any number of servers, we put server names in a file like '/tmp/ser_name' and execute it with for loop from gateway server. Now, I need to set non-expiry... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to set password in HP-UX 11.31

Hi, I am unable to set the password remotely. I am using the script as below: ep=`echo "$p" | /usr/lbin/makekey` ssh -t $i "/usr/local/bin/sudo useradd -c "$user_c" -m -d /home/$user_id -s /bin/ksh $user_id; /usr/local/bin/sudo /usr/sam/lbin/usermod.sam -F -p $ep $user_id" The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kits
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with shell script to search and replace a set of strings among the set of files

Hi, I am looking for a shell script which serves the below purpose. Please find below the algorithm for the same and any help on this would be highly appreciated. 1)set of strings need to be replaced among set of files(directory may contain different types of files) 2)It should search for... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amulya
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to set user password to never expire in UNIX servers

Hi, I have a requirement where in i need to write a shell script to set users password to never expire. I know the command which is used to perform the same .. which is chage command. But, could not figure out how to do the same in shell script. Could you please help me with the shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suren424
3 Replies
vncpasswd(1)						     Virtual Network Computing						      vncpasswd(1)

NAME
vncpasswd - change the VNC password SYNOPSIS
vncpasswd [passwd-file] vncpasswd -f DESCRIPTION
vncpasswd allows you to set the password used to access VNC desktops. Its default behavior is to prompt for a VNC password and then store an obfuscated version of this password to passwd-file (or to $HOME/.vnc/passwd if no password file is specified.) The vncserver script runs vncpasswd the first time you start a VNC desktop, and it invokes Xvnc with the appropriate -rfbauth option. vncviewer can also be given a password file to use via the -passwd option. The password must be at least six characters long (unless the -f command-line option is used-- see below), and only the first eight charac- ters are significant. Note that the stored password is not encrypted securely - anyone who has access to this file can trivially find out the plain-text password, so vncpasswd always sets appropriate permissions (read and write only by the owner.) However, when accessing a VNC desktop, a challenge-response mechanism is used over the wire making it hard for anyone to crack the password simply by snooping on the network. OPTIONS
-f Filter mode. Read a plain-text password from stdin and write an encrypted version to stdout. Note that in filter mode, short or even empty passwords will be silently accepted. FILES
$HOME/.vnc/passwd Default location of the VNC password file. SEE ALSO
vncviewer(1), vncserver(1), Xvnc(1) vncconfig(1), http://www.tigervnc.org AUTHORS
Tristan Richardson, RealVNC Ltd. Antoine Martin D. R. Commander VNC was originally developed by the RealVNC team while at Olivetti Research Ltd / AT&T Laboratories Cambridge. TightVNC additions were implemented by Constantin Kaplinsky. Many other people participated in development, testing and support. TigerVNC 09 Jul 2010 vncpasswd(1)