Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do i iterate thru each line of a file in shell scripting? Post 302135087 by cfajohnson on Wednesday 5th of September 2007 11:28:40 PM
Old 09-06-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by vino
Welcome to the forums. The forum has a search feature which you can use to search for similiar posts that have come up before. See this post on the possible ways to parse a file - https://www.unix.com/tips-and-tutoria...se-a-file.html

I wouldn't recommend the script in that post for a number of reasons.

For a start, it will fail on filenames containing spaces or other pathological characters.

It uses non-standard syntax that will not work in many POSIX shells.

It does not correctly read the entire line in some of the functions.

It uses a command that is no longer found on most systems (line).

It is an overwhelmingly large script for a person who needs to ask this question, and there are no useful comments to the functions.

The correct answer to the question is "use a while loop", as in this example:

Code:
while IFS= read -r line
do
   printf "%s\n" "$line"
done < FILE

There are, of course, variations on this, and for a large file, it is probably better to use sed or awk, depending on what needs to be done with the file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

who to deal with whole line in shell scripting

I have a problem in my HP Unix system , it is briefly : I have two files : Myfile and Script.sh : Myfile contain this lines : String1 string2 string3 string5 String1 string2 string3 string5 String1 string2 string3 string5 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KSA
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

End of Line in Shell Scripting

I have a file containing records seperated by delimiter '|'.A record is contained on 2 or 3 lines. Now I need a shell script which could write all records with in two '|' character in one line.....for example..... |R1........................R1 R1..........................R1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 33junaid
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in splitting a line into fields in shell scripting

I have a line of more than 3000 bytes which will contain & as fields separator..I am using following awk command ..Its working but its not accepting the line more than 3000 bytes...Anyother alternate solution even in othe shell command also fine... awk -F '&' '{for( i=1; i<=NF; i++ ) print $i}'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: punithavel
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a portion of a line using shell scripting

Hi all, I am new to awk programs.I have a file like this 1234567@2345||adcbdefhij: asgdfdasdfhhfd-asdfasd-dsfasdf |0.678|0.0|0.213 1234567@2345||adcbdefhij: ashhfd-asdfasd-dsfasdf |0.129|0.0|0.411 1234567@2345||adcbdefhij: asd-aasd-dasdf |0.223|0.0|0.276 I want to delete the text which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loy81
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

add a line at the end of a file using shell scripting

Hi All , I am new to shell scripting. i have a shell script(which is executed as a super user) , i want to it to do one more job for me. ie mounting a directory over other using lofs . i have done it manually using 1) using mount command mount -F lofs /export/home/dju /dju 2)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meet123321
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell - How to iterate through all the files in a directory?

Hi, I have a directory call Test, which contains files "a", b", "c", etc. I want to go through all of the files inside Test and remove any empty file. How would I do that with shell csh? So far I got... #!/bin/csh if (($#argv == 0) || ($#argv > 1)) then echo "no argument or too... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: teiji
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare a command line parameter with -- in shell scripting

Hi, I need to check if a parameter provided at the command line is equal to --.How can i do that ? Please help me. Thanks and Regards, Padmini (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need one line scripting on Unix shell..help!!

Hi Experts, I need one line script for the below requirement. First it should check if a directory with todays date exist, and if not create it and move the PDF file to that directory. thanks in advance!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeegopikannan
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to iterate all command line arguments

Hi guys, I am having trouble with this script. What i want it to do is to iterate all command line arguments in reverse order. The code below does this fine but i need the output to print the words on separate lines instead of one line: #!/bin/bash #Takes in the arguments and displays them... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pipeline2012
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting , need to search and print a line that contains a specific pattern

Take example of below file. abc.txt nas1:/abc/test/test1 /test nas1:/abc/test/test1/test2 /test/abc nas1:/abc/test/ Now i have a variable that contains "nas1:/abc/test/test1" value , so i need to search the above file for this variable and print only this line. ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit_vardhani
14 Replies
semanage_iterate(3)					   Libsemanage API documentation				       semanage_iterate(3)

NAME
semanage_iterate - SELinux Management API SYNOPSIS
The following iterate function is supported for any semanage record. Replace the function and object name as necessary. extern int ITERATE_FUNCTION ( semanage_handle_t *handle, int (*handler) ( const semanage_OBJECT_t *object, void *varg), void *handler_arg); DESCRIPTION
Behavior: The iterate function will execute the specified handler over all objects in the selected location. An arbitrary argument can be passed into the handler function along with each object. The object passed in is property of the libsemanage library, and may not be modified or preserved - use semanage_OBJECT_clone if that is necessary. The handler code may not invoke any semanage write requests for the same object type (i.e. modifying the underlying store is not allowed). The iterate function is reentrant only while inside a transaction (see semanage_begin_transaction ). It is not safe to execute other semanage read or write requests within iterate if not inside a transaction. The handler may return -1 to signal error exit, 0 to signal continue, and 1 to signal successful exit early (the iterate function will stop accordingly). Parameters: The handle is used to track persistent state across semanage calls, and for error reporting. The handler is the function to execute, with handler_arg as its second parameter, and each object as its first parameter. Requirements: This function requires an semanage connection to be established (see semanage_connect(3) ) RETURN VALUE
In case of failure, -1 is returned, and the semanage error callback is invoked, describing the error. Otherwise a non-negative integer is returned (a commit number). The same number will be returned by all other semanage object read calls until the next commit. SEE ALSO
semanage_handle_create(3), semanage_connect(3), ivg2@cornell.edu 15 March 2006 semanage_iterate(3)