Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Symbolic Links - BASH Script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Symbolic Links - BASH Script Post 302135036 by rodrimuino on Wednesday 5th of September 2007 08:30:17 AM
Old 09-05-2007
The link points to an executable file. I want to get the directory where the executable file is allocated.

How can I do that?
Thanks in advance

Rodrigo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding symbolic links

How can I find all symbolic links across the network to a directory (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehtad
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic Links for a File

how do i get the list of symbolic link names for a particular file programatically (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: b_u_n_1234
4 Replies

3. Solaris

cp a dty without symbolic links?

Hi, - we have copy (cp command) to do to save all the contents of a dty BUT we dont want to copy the files corresponding to symbolic links contained whithin this dty - the box is a sun solaris one - and the cp commande do not say avything about that? thanks for help Jakez (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JAKEZ
7 Replies

4. AIX

Symbolic Links

I am linking a directory as follows: ln -sf /home/xxx/userid/real_files/* /home/xxx/userid/linked_files This gives me symbolic links for all the files in the real_files directory in the linked_files directory. My question is, if I go and remove a file in the real_files directory and then go... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcarnesiii
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Script to Generate Symbolic Links

I'm writing a ksh script which will reference a text file I have to create symbolic links for my application: --file contents-- Link Directory Link Source Link Name /users/05/dwisconbug bin link2bin Now, this should create the following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dwisconbug
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic Links

Hi all, I have scoured the entire forum for this but to no avail unfortunately. Basically, I would like to remove my symbolic link from my folder name i.e. foldername -> /a/b/c/d/f where f is indeed a folder. I have tried rmdir but this does not work and in actual fact deletes the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissioning for symbolic links

I've just started using UNIX in a Linux vmplayer. I'm trying to run the command: ln -s `pwd`/$1 `python -c "from distutils.sysconfig import get_python_lib; print get_python_lib()"`/$1 in a script from an online tutorial, but I keep getting an error message: ln: creating symbolic link... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ChipT
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change symbolic links via script

Hello, the install routine puts automatically the servername "SERVER" in the symlink like: hello.txt --> /SERVER/usr/lpp/hello.txt world.txt --> /SERVER/usr/lpp/world.txt ... but i need to change this symlinks (without servername) to: hello.txt --> /usr/lpp/hello.txt world.txt -->... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smitty11
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Symbolic links

Soft link,Hard link brief explanation (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RAJU KAVATI
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for creating symbolic links to my photos (*.JPG)

Hi, I have all my pictures as *.JPG and *.CR2 in the following folder structure: /media/a_2TB/pictures/year/year-month-day-hour/picture*.* But sometimes I added a subdirectory --> /media/a_2TB/pictures/year/year-month-day-hour/suba/picture*.*... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 8200
3 Replies
STRMODE(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						STRMODE(3)

NAME
strmode -- convert inode status information into a symbolic string LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> void strmode(int mode, char *bp); DESCRIPTION
The strmode() function converts a file mode (the type and permission information associated with an inode, see stat(2)) into a symbolic string which is stored in the location referenced by bp. This stored string is eleven characters in length plus a trailing NUL. The first character is the inode type, and will be one of the following: - regular file b block special c character special d directory l symbolic link p fifo s socket w whiteout ? unknown inode type The next nine characters encode three sets of permissions, in three characters each. The first three characters are the permissions for the owner of the file, the second three for the group the file belongs to, and the third for the ``other'', or default, set of users. Permission checking is done as specifically as possible. If read permission is denied to the owner of a file in the first set of permis- sions, the owner of the file will not be able to read the file. This is true even if the owner is in the file's group and the group permis- sions allow reading or the ``other'' permissions allow reading. If the first character of the three character set is an ``r'', the file is readable for that set of users; if a dash ``-'', it is not read- able. If the second character of the three character set is a ``w'', the file is writable for that set of users; if a dash ``-'', it is not writable. The third character is the first of the following characters that apply: S If the character is part of the owner permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by the owner, and the set-user-id bit is set. S If the character is part of the group permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by the group, and the set-group-id bit is set. T If the character is part of the other permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by others, and the ``sticky'' (S_ISVTX) bit is set. s If the character is part of the owner permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by the owner, and the set- user-id bit is set. s If the character is part of the group permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by the group, and the set- group-id bit is set. t If the character is part of the other permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by others, and the ``sticky'' (S_ISVTX) bit is set. x The file is executable or the directory is searchable. - None of the above apply. The last character will always be a space. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), find(1), stat(2), getmode(3), setmode(3) HISTORY
The strmode() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
July 28, 1994 BSD