Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep or awk problem, unable to extract numbers Post 302134491 by baghera on Friday 31st of August 2007 06:34:16 AM
Old 08-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by vino
The pattern is not very clear. But you can try

Code:
grep -oE "[[:digit:]]{1,}" input.txt

If that does not satisfy your requirement, perhaps this.

Code:
sed -n -e "s/.*:\([0-9]*\).*/\1/p" input.txt

But if there is more numbers on that line for example:

how_old_r_u:45782<br>APPLY:[30000,t3,t4]:Plummet

It seems when I run the command

Code:
grep -oE "[[:digit:]]{1,}" input.txt

I also get the other numbers is there some way to get only 45782?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with floating point numbers in awk

hi all, i have the following problem using awk in a script i want to read the values from a column with real numbers and calculate the mean.the problem is that when i use a statement such as this num = $4 i cant find a way to convert the variable from string to floating point to perform... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanagias
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with assigning output of grep + awk to a variable

Hi All, I am getting the output for the following command when i run it on the unix console. --------------------------- grep `whoami` /etc/passwd | awk '{print ($1);}' | cut -d ":" -f3 ---------------------------- But i made it into a script and tried to print the variable, its... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: meheretoknow
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract numbers below words with awk

Hi all, Please some help over here. I have a Sales.txt file containing info in blocks for every sold product in the pattern showed below (only for 2 products). NEW BLOCK SALE DATA PRODUCT SERIAL 79833269999 146701011945004 .Some other data .Some... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
17 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using GREP/AWK to extract a number and store it as a variable

Hello, I have a question regarding the awk command. Here is the line I need to grep: 1 F= -.13250138E+03 E0= -.13249556E+03 d E =-.174650E-01 mag= 35.2157 Instead of displaying the number in red I would like to store it as a variable such as X. Is there a way to do this? Thanks for any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: modey3
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bash/grep/awk/sed: How to extract every appearance of text between two specific strings

I have a text wich looks like this: clid=2 cid=6 client_database_id=35 client_nickname=Peter client_type=0|clid=3 cid=22 client_database_id=57 client_nickname=Paul client_type=0|clid=5 cid=22 client_database_id=7 client_nickname=Mary client_type=0|clid=6 cid=22 client_database_id=6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pioneer1976
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with sub command (awk) and numbers

Hi, I am trying to perform a simple soustraction between two floating numbers and cannot get it done for some reason due to the use of the sub command. The following is the straight-forward result of the soustraction: $ echo | gawk '{a=968;b=967.99;c=a-b;print c}' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help please with Grep/Sed command to extract text and numbers from a file

Hello All, I need to extract lines from a file that contains ALPHANUMERIC and the length of Alphanumeric is set to 16. I have pasted the sample of the lines from the text file that I have created. My problem is that sometimes 16 appears in other part of the line. I'm only interested to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use grep sed or awk to extract string from log file and put into CSV

I'd like to copy strings from a log file and put them into a CSV. The strings could be on different line numbers, depending on size of log. Example Log File: File = foo.bat Date = 11/11/11 User = Foo Bar Size = 1024 ... CSV should look like: "foo.bat","11/11/11","Foo Bar","1024" (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipperuga
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Router ping log extract data from it Awk/Sed/grep

Hi, I am new to this world.. Using expect i loging to router and checking ping response to my links. I need to genarate report using this output and that report contains only three file link name, packet loss, latency. my output of script is like below: -bash-3.00$ monmw/mwbkp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkmistry
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed / awk / grep to extract information from log

Hi all, I have a query that runs that outputs data in the following format - 01/09/12 11:43:40,ADMIN,4,77,Application Group Load: Name(TESTED) LoadId(5137-1-0-1XX-15343-15343) File(/dir/dir/File.T03.CI2.RYR.2012009.11433350806.ARD) InputSize(5344) OutputSize(1359) Rows(2) Time(1.9960)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
8 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)