Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Please respond immediately
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Please respond immediately Post 302134373 by deepti.1104 on Thursday 30th of August 2007 02:04:35 PM
Old 08-30-2007
I have a file say x and i need to update with some values in it, and check te output. I need the commands to edit the file, save the file , run the file and how to insert the text and delete the text in the file in bash(bourne shell). Please give me these commands. that shud help me.

thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Volcheck does not respond

what should i do if there's no response by executing volcheck. Rgrds, --NIkk (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikk
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need help immediately. Please help me

Hi Everyone, I am writing a script, in that i want to find out whether my disk space usage capacity extends more than 98%. If my disk space capacity extends more than 98% i want to print that the space capacity is running out of space otherwise i want to print only the capacity of the space... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheethal
4 Replies

3. Linux

please help immediately

how can i check if the size of my file is greater than 5MB and if it is so then how can I direct my data to another new file. the data will be in the form of SQL query (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PGP Auto Respond

This is relating PGP: I wrote a shell script to encrypt a file: pgpe -r <key> (file) Im looking to automate this but when I run my script it keeps running because it prompts: WARNING: The above key is not trusted to belong to: Do you want to use the key with this name? It's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: queenie680
1 Replies

5. Solaris

server not respond

Hi all, i am phasing one problem yesterday.when i was login into sun server with my user id, i am trying to execute unix commands but the server responce is very slow. the command result will give after 5-10 min. i checked /var,/tmp and /export/home file system also.every thing is normal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna176
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sript need, please respond

Hi I am looking for the script which can move 1month old data from a TXT file.actully in this file data is appended on daily basis.pleasehalp me out. Here is the file content : $head abc.txt. 20070301130052,xxz. 20070307132111,cvasjchgjhcg gacg chjbgasjkchjk.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpandey
3 Replies

7. Programming

SQL Issue please respond !!!

Hi Folks, I have a issue regards space in the records. Example: 999207404 |sp818056|STEVEN |LAWRENCE |Mike.S.Lawrence@sprint.com |2003 S Data Sales Mgr 77 |SVC ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Haque123
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

please tell immediately

what is the script to take files from ftp to unix server and unzipped the files (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunilamarnadh
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send command and respond to prompt

I m totally new to this so excuse my ignorance. I want to write a small and simple script to execute in terminal on my MAC. I want to be able to send a ssh command and then once connected send the password and once logged in send two commands. I can easily write the script to connect, but then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NOYB111
2 Replies
FLOCK(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  FLOCK(1)

NAME
flock -- Provide locking API for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
flock [-dnosvx] [-w timeout] lockfile|lockdir [-c command] | [command ...] flock [-dnsuvx] [-w timeout] lockfd DESCRIPTION
The flock utility provides flock(2) access to the command line or scripts. The first form locks a file or directory while the command pro- vided is executed. If the file or directory does not exist, then a file is created. The second form can use an arbitrary file descriptor that is provided from a shell script for example: ( flock -s 100 # commands to be executed under the lock ) 100> /path/to/lockfile The following options are available: -c command Pass a command to a the shell. -d, --debug Provide debugging output. -n, --nb, --nonblock Don't block and fail immediately if the lock could not be obtained. -o, --close Close the file before executing the command. This is useful if the child forks and should not be holding the lock. -s, --shared Obtain a shared lock. -u, --unlock Unlock an existing lock. This is available only for a file descriptor. -v, --verbose On error print an explanation of the failure. -w, --wait, --timeout seconds Fail if the lock could not be obtained after seconds. -x, --exclusive Obtain an exclusive lock. EXIT STATUS
The flock utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
shlock(1), flock(2) HISTORY
An flock utility appeared in NetBSD 6.1. BSD
November 2, 2012 BSD