Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Awk variable replacement
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk variable replacement Post 302134284 by iAm4Free on Thursday 30th of August 2007 07:09:15 AM
Old 08-30-2007
Awk variable replacement

I have a function

awkvarrep() {
awk -F'|' '$1~/$1/{printf "%-10s %-30s %-15s %-30s %-15s\n", $2,$3,$4,$5,$6}' testfile
}

I'm calling it by this
VARREP=XYZ
awkvarrep $VARREP

since i'm passing $VARREP to the awkvarrep() function I want to use this with $1 but it dosen't seem to be working inside the awk in the Shell Script. Do I need to use an escape sequence for it to work pls advice or else I need to do this like 10 times!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable replacement

hi all , i want a command that interacts with the input of a user . i.e. i want it to serch a file for the first occurance of a variable and replace the value that is after the equal sign . for example : my file contains a varible that is $HOME=/home i want to search for variable $HOME... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppass
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK String replacement

I have an xml file with following tags <NewTag>value123</xyz> <NewTag>value321</abcd> I have to replace the values in between the tags with some value ( VAL1/VAL2) but the thing the ending tag can be any thing, for this i need a awk command currently i am using this but it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk replacement

Hi all, I need help in replacing awk with sed for the below. 1 ) cat list | awk -F" |," '/MATH/ {sub(/]*/,"",$3); print $3}' Eg: file : list Sno Subno Name 1 SUB1 ENG 2 SUB2 MATH 2) Eg:result Total No of Students: 2 Sno ID Sub ------------------ 1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyam
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk replacement problem

hi i am using awk for first time so i am having issue is it the correct way of using Y here is variable which i fetch using grep from file awk -v X={$Y} { if ($0 ~ /X/ ) { sub (out.*/,"out1",$0) } print 0 }, filename > temp when i look into temp file i dont see any replacement... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyzstar
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk replacement problem

Hello everyone, I have a problem with awk replacement... I need to replace "|\n" for "\n" I tried thisawk '{ sub(/\|\\n/, "\\n"); print }' but it seems like it doesn't work properly. Can anyone help with that? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1tempus1
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk's gsub variable in replacement

I been trying to figure out how to use element of array as a replacement pattern. This works as I expected: $ echo "one two three" | awk '{ gsub(/wo/,"_BEG_&_END_",$2); print }' one t_BEG_wo_END_ three $ echo "one two three" | awk '{ tmp="foo"; gsub(/wo/,"_BEG_" tmp "_END_",$2);... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirni
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacement in file when line is in a variable

Hi, I have a file where I want to replace the 15th field separated by comma, only on specific lines matching lots of different conditions. I have managed to read the file line by line, within the loop my line is held in a variable called $line I assume this will be using sed (maybe... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpt123
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed:- Supported variable replacement after string match?

Hi All, I am trying to replace the variable in the file after the particular match string. It is being replaced if i hardcode the value and with use of "&" with sed. sed -e "s/URL./& http:\\localhost:7223/g" But when am trying to pass the variable it is failing. I tried multiple... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - replacement file path with variable - Escaping / character

Hi,, I have the line below in a file: $!VarSet |LFDSFN1| = '"E:\APC\Trials\20140705_427_Prototype Trial\Data\T4_20140705_Trial_Cycle_Data_13_T_Norm.txt" "VERSION=100 FILEEXT=\"*.txt\" FILEDESC=\"General Text\" "+""+"TITLE{SEARCH=NONE NAME=\"New Dataset\" LINE=1I want to write a script to change... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlr
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacement of variable by their content in a file

Dear all, I have a "SQL request" in a file: that request include different "host variable" and I would like to substitute the different "host variable" by their respective content before executing the request. For example: $ echo $SHELL /bin/bash $ cat dae2.txt DELETE FROM ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
11 Replies
CUBRID_COLUMN_NAMES(3)							 1						    CUBRID_COLUMN_NAMES(3)

cubrid_column_names - Get the column names in result

SYNOPSIS
array cubrid_column_names (resource $req_identifier) DESCRIPTION
The cubrid_column_names(3) function is used to get the column names of the query result by using $req_identifier. PARAMETERS
o $req_identifier -Request identifier. RETURN VALUES
Array of string values containing the column names, when process is successful. FALSE, when process is unsuccessful. EXAMPLES
Example #1 cubrid_column_names(3) example <?php $conn = cubrid_connect("localhost", 33000, "demodb", "dba"); $result = cubrid_execute($conn, "SELECT * FROM game WHERE host_year=2004 AND nation_code='AUS' AND medal='G'"); $column_names = cubrid_column_names($result); $column_types = cubrid_column_types($result); printf("%-30s %-30s %-15s ", "Column Names", "Column Types", "Column Maxlen"); for($i = 0, $size = count($column_names); $i < $size; $i++) { $column_len = cubrid_field_len($result, $i); printf("%-30s %-30s %-15s ", $column_names[$i], $column_types[$i], $column_len); } cubrid_disconnect($conn); ?> The above example will output: Column Names Column Types Column Maxlen host_year integer 11 event_code integer 11 athlete_code integer 11 stadium_code integer 11 nation_code char 3 medal char 1 game_date date 10 SEE ALSO
cubrid_prepare(3), cubrid_execute(3), cubrid_column_types(3). PHP Documentation Group CUBRID_COLUMN_NAMES(3)