Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX can I use ps to log overall system stats. Post 302134179 by thebytegrill on Wednesday 29th of August 2007 11:13:59 AM
Old 08-29-2007
can I use ps to log overall system stats.

Hi I'm writing a script to get overall system memory and cpu utilization in percentages, much like in top or with AIX's topas.
Could I use 'ps' to get the same, I know I can get such results for a particular or group of PIDs but I haven't been able to figure out how I could use 'ps' to give me general system wide statsSmilie.
Is there some other utility I could incorporate in to my script so that I may dump this info into a csv sort of file. This need to work on AIX 5.2 & 5.3
Thanks in advance.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display filename and wc stats

I'm just learning UNIX and I'm trying to do the following: Write a script called details.bash that, for each file in the working directory, prints the filename, the # of lines, and the # of words to to some output file, like this: filename1 73 431 filename2 5 21 It's probably a stupid... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asianmike
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I/O Stats Metrics

What do others use for measuring I/O statistics? I'd like something versatile, as in being able to watch (like iostat, but easier to trend), generate load (like iozone, but more realistic), and perform somewhat generalized benchmarks (like bonnie, but more current.) It would scale from a few... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
0 Replies

3. AIX

system stats

I recieved this out put below soemhow. Unfortunatly I did not write down the command I used to get it. Can someone tell me what command I use to gather these stats? OS = AIX 5.3 64Bit System Model: IBM,7026-6H1 Machine Serial Number:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
2 Replies

4. AIX

IO Stats

Aix 5.3 I am trying to view the IO stats. I do the sar 5 5 but that is the WIO and si different than the IO stats right? I am just blanking on this. I know there is a command that I used to run that brings up a whole bunch of live stats that run live such as mem and so on just can't rememeber... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Stats in Php

So, I have a php program that i need to delete ALL files in a directory that are older than a certain age. <?php /* Get file stat */ $stat = stat('/apps/security/ajaba'); This is as far as I've been able to get. I know in shell programming you can easily do something like this. but I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

6. Linux

Stats on subdirectories

Please help me with a shell script to get the stats on many subdirectories (sub1), (sub2) etc under a mother directory (big) /big | |_______sub1 |_______sub2 |_______sub3 --------- I want to know 1. What is the last file accessed in each subdirectory with date and by whom 2.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digipak
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux stats per core

Does anyone know how to check linux stats per core? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recording stats for Comcast

The last few weeks I've had a problem with Comcast in San Francisco (anyone else sharing the same issue ? Please share !) During the late afternoon throughout early morning hours I see a high amount of dropped packets and increased latency when pinging my favorite destinations, like 8.8.8.8. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SandmanCL
1 Replies
Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		     Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats(3pm)

NAME
Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats - Collect linux cpu statistics. SYNOPSIS
use Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats; my $lxs = Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats->new; $lxs->init; sleep 1; my $stats = $lxs->get; Or my $lxs = Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats->new(initfile => $file); $lxs->init; my $stats = $lxs->get; DESCRIPTION
Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats gathers cpu statistics from the virtual /proc filesystem (procfs). For more information read the documentation of the front-end module Sys::Statistics::Linux. CPU STATISTICS
Generated by /proc/stat for each cpu (cpu0, cpu1 ...). cpu without a number is the summary. user - Percentage of CPU utilization at the user level. nice - Percentage of CPU utilization at the user level with nice priority. system - Percentage of CPU utilization at the system level. idle - Percentage of time the CPU is in idle state. total - Total percentage of CPU utilization. Statistics with kernels >= 2.6. iowait - Percentage of time the CPU is in idle state because an I/O operation is waiting to complete. irq - Percentage of time the CPU is servicing interrupts. softirq - Percentage of time the CPU is servicing softirqs. steal - Percentage of stolen CPU time, which is the time spent in other operating systems when running in a virtualized environment (>=2.6.11). METHODS
new() Call "new()" to create a new object. my $lxs = Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats->new; Maybe you want to store/load the initial statistics to/from a file: my $lxs = Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats->new(initfile => '/tmp/cpustats.yml'); If you set "initfile" it's not necessary to call sleep before "get()". It's also possible to set the path to the proc filesystem. Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats->new( files => { # This is the default path => '/proc' stat => 'stat', } ); init() Call "init()" to initialize the statistics. $lxs->init; get() Call "get()" to get the statistics. "get()" returns the statistics as a hash reference. my $stats = $lxs->get; raw() Get raw values. EXPORTS
No exports. SEE ALSO
proc(5) REPORTING BUGS
Please report all bugs to <jschulz.cpan(at)bloonix.de>. AUTHOR
Jonny Schulz <jschulz.cpan(at)bloonix.de>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006, 2007 by Jonny Schulz. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-03-09 Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats(3pm)