Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: semaphore concept
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users semaphore concept Post 302134159 by maverix on Wednesday 29th of August 2007 07:02:38 AM
Old 08-29-2007
Hi Jim and Neo,

Thank you for your replies...

I am using RHEL 4.
I have used lockf() and flock() system calls and it seems to work fine.

However, I want to use semaphores to get the same effect. FYI...I am doing these just to understand and learn the concepts. Its not a live/industry project.

Using lockf() and flock(), I was able to lock certain sections of files depending on the file position we provide. Say, for example, the application is a simple banking application and the database I use is a simple file which has number of records which contains account information. Using lockf(), I was able to lock a certain record by obtaining the account number from the user so that another process wanting to access a different record didn't have any issues in reading/writing to a different record.

My question was how to get the same effect using semaphores. If the number of concurrent processes are more, then each process will be waiting to obtain the semaphore to enter the critical section of code, isn't that so?

regards
maverix

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

LUN concept

In my location we have Hp storage (san),from there they created luns, so could u plz send me clear document for understanding LUN. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prem
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The Concept of thread

Hi all This is my first thread here.i confused with the concept of thread.Can anyone tell me this concept in detail.my Quation may be at primary level. Thanx in advance for help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about concept of Interrupts.

Hi all, I am new here ,i want to know about interrupts in detail.What r Interrupts .how they r handeled. Thanx in adavnce. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concept Of Array

Hi all, I used array a lot in C,VB,C# and java but now i am very new to shell programming,so i need a start of array in shell programming. All i want to do is read a string and put it into a character type array. For reading the string,i did this: $ read a now i want to put the content of a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gautamshaw
1 Replies

5. AIX

Use of mirroring concept....

hi.... Friends... Why using mirroring ? what is the use of mirroring? just any one tell about clearly.... thanks.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kannan841
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help me in RAID concept...

i couldn't get what does the metainit command represents in numeric values. (i.e) #metainit d66 2 1 c0t0d0s4 1 c0t0d0s5 ??here 2 1 1 represnts what ?? can some one tell clearly about this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriniv666
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Looping concept please help

Hi Gurus, Please help me in below requirement. Instance =5 (it is user parameter) total=52 (it is user parameter i need to split this to 5 and reminder as 1 instances totally 6 for example i need to splitt to each 52/5=10.4 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-40 41-50 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragu.selvaraj
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ACL concept

Hi.. Could someone explain about setfacl,getfacl in unix and its uses. Regards, Suresh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suresh sunkara
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion with the concept of wc -c and wc -m

Is wc -c and wc -m same ? Shellscript::cat file1 hello Shellscript::cat file1 | wc -c 6 Shellscript::cat file1 | wc -m 6 Shellscript::file file1 file1: ASCII text Shellscript::uname -a Linux was85host 2.6.27.45-0.1-vmi #1 SMP 2010-02-22 16:49:47 +0100 i686 i686 i386 GNU/LinuxAtleast... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripting
5 Replies
semaphore.h(3HEAD)						      Headers							semaphore.h(3HEAD)

NAME
semaphore.h, semaphore - semaphores SYNOPSIS
#include <semaphore.h> DESCRIPTION
The <semaphore.h> header defines the sem_t type, used in performing semaphore operations. The semaphore can be implemented using a file descriptor, in which case applications are able to open up at least a total of {OPEN_MAX} files and semaphores. The symbol SEM_FAILED is defined (see sem_open(3RT)). Inclusion of the <semaphore.h> header can make visible symbols defined in the headers <fcntl.h> and <sys/types.h>. See fcntl.h(3HEAD) and types.h(3HEAD). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fcntl.h(3HEAD), types.h(3HEAD), sem_destroy(3RT), sem_getvalue(3RT), sem_init(3RT), sem_open(3RT), sem_post(3RT), sem_timedwait(3RT), sem_unlink(3RT), sem_wait(3RT), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 10 Sep 2004 semaphore.h(3HEAD)