Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: create new user in unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers create new user in unix Post 302134016 by jyoung on Tuesday 28th of August 2007 07:49:28 AM
Old 08-28-2007
It depends on the unix variant. In AIX it is mkuser.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all, I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mallesh
1 Replies

2. Programming

How to create a new unix user in through a c program

Hi , I want to create a new user using c program not with unix adduser command . is it possible to write a cprogram to create a new user account , it should accept username , grouid , group name and all other privilages . i can use system calls inside c program to do this . i will... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naren_chella
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I create user but i cant login the user i created.

I created a user, i login as a root. I add him in the group where he can access and login as a root! I checked it in users' list and in group's list, he is there. My problem is this, I cant login using the username/account I just created! What should i do to use and login the user/account i've just... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Unix User

Is there any way to create user with default password by shell script withoud manual intervantion and from a text file having user's information and default password. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenay
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create New UNIX User

Hi all, I wish to create some users, I can do that using the following command. useradd I wonder If i could create Uers as a clone of Root. I mean different users but having the same provileages as Root user. Can be ablle to access the Root Dir and so on .. Please help me out Is this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
6 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Create New User with the same group nd privileges of the other user

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to duplicate privileges and group for useroradb01 to userrootdb01. I have currently using "useroradb01" and create a newly user "userrootdb01". I want both in the sames privileges and group. Please see the existing users list below; drwxr-xr-x 53 useroradb01... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
0 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

New To UNIX - Need Script to create report of user & group accounts

Hi, I'm new to the world of UNIX and have been asked to create a complex script (at least complex to me:confused:) for AIX UNIX to create a report of all the users on the server including server, user, UID, groups, GID, etc. Found a script using lsuser, but the output is still lacking. 2 things I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: panthur
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

How to create a user in UNIX with some limited permissions?

As i know, Unix or Linux only manages 2 type of user: root user or normal user. All users with userID=0 will have all administration permissions like root user with the system. In my case, i want to create a new user in HP-UNIX environment with all root permissions only one exception that this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hieucn1404
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find if a User exist if not create user

What I'm trying to do is write a script in Perl to find a user and if that user exist it would print "User Exist, Pls Try Again". If The user doesn't exist I'm able to create a user with a password. Any suggestions? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoBoyGo
3 Replies
FSTAT(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  FSTAT(8)

NAME
fstat - file status SYNOPSIS
fstat [ -u user ] [ -p pid ] [ filename... ] DESCRIPTION
Fstat identifies open files. A file is considered open if a process has it open, if it is the working directory for a process, or if it is an active pure text file. If no options are specified, fstat reports on all open files. Options: -u Report all files open by a specified user. -p Report all files open by a specified process id. filename... Restrict reports to the specified files. If the file is a block special file, fstat additionally reports on any open files on that device, treating it as a mounted file system. The following fields are printed USER The username of the owner of the process. CMD The command name of the process. PID The process id. FD The file number in the per-process open file table. The special names "text" and "wd" mean that the file is the pure text inode or the working directory for the process. If the file number is followed by an asterick (*), then the file is not an inode, but either a socket, fifo, or has an error of some kind. In this case the rest of the entry is variable format, doesn't correspond to the rest of the headings, and is enclosed in parenthesis. The following paragraph describing sockets will explain the variable format. DEVICE Major minor number of the device this file exists on. INODE The inode number of the file. SIZE The size in bytes of the file. TYPE The type of the file. (see sys/file.h) Sockets The formating of open sockets depends on the protocol domain. In all cases the first field is the domain name, the second field is the socket type (stream, dgram, etc), and the third is the socket flags field (in hex). The remaining fields are protocol dependent. For tcp, it is the address of the tcpcb, and for udp, the inpcb (socket pcb). For unix domain sockets, its the address of the socket pcb and the address of the connected pcb (if connected). Otherwise the protocol number and address of the socket itself are printed. The idea is not to duplicate netstat, but to make available enough information for further analysis. For example, the addresses mentioned above are the addresses which the "netstat -A" command would print for tcp, udp, and unixdomain. Note that since pipe(2) is implemented with sock- ets, a pipe appears as a connected unix domain stream socket. A unidirectional unix domain socket indicates the direction of flow with an arrow ("<-" or "->"), and a full duplex socket shows a double arrow ("<->"). BUGS
Socket information clutters the output. Since fstat takes a snapshot of the system, it is only correct for a very short period of time. SEE ALSO
ps(1), pstat(8) 4th Berkeley Distribution December 12, 1987 FSTAT(8)