Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting The cut command. Really simple question! Post 302133824 by rorey_breaker on Sunday 26th of August 2007 10:22:29 AM
Old 08-26-2007
The cut command. Really simple question!

hi, sorry for asking what I am sure is a really easy question, I am wanting to cut the users real name from the output of 'finger'.

$ cut -f2-3 filename

is in my script but it only seems to cut the first line.

I need to cut the 2nd and 3rd word from each line and store them in variables to echo later.

I have been reading the web for ages, and all suggests the above line of code.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SImple command question

Does anyone know the command to get the date CREATED for a file? This is driving me berserk. Windows has it. But I cannnnnnot remeber what it is in UNIX! Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diabeticus
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple Command (head) Question

Okay, this probably sounds dumb for anyone who knows the answer, but I'm completely lost. I have to use the head command to search a directory AND all of its subdirectories to display the first line of all .txt files. I know how to do this: head -1 ~/UnixCourse/*.txt, but that does not search the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbud
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple question abt Copy command.

Hi ! All This is very simple question.... How to write a 'cp' command interative. Example : cp /wlsuite/om/cm/Tools/deploy_scripts/*.xml ${INF_ROOT}/tmp | echo "" || echo " Pls investigate ..." My intent was > to copy the files. > CP fails... then let know the user. pls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on the cut command

Suppose one has a file consisting of more than 2 columns and one has to extract a few columns from this file and swap some columns at the same time. Example: extract column 1, 2 and 4 from a file foo.csv and place them in the order 2, 4 and 1 into file foo.txt. I would be inclined to do this: cut... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Cut Question

I've got a file that contains a large list of links in this type of style: 'home_dir\2009\09\01\file.html' I'd like to cut off all of the characters left of 'file.html'. I tried: cat file.txt | cut -d\ -f4 but it told me that I had an invalid delimiter. So I tried: cat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rally_Point
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Cut issue

I have a long string that looks something like this.... <string>http://abc.com/40/20/zzz061-3472/dP3rXLpPPV2KC846nJ4VXpH7jt4b3LJgkL/tarfile_date.tar</string> I need to but the tar file name. So I need to put between "/" and ".tar</string>". My desired result should be "tarfile_date". (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: elbombillo
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies

9. Linux

A simple question about mail command

Simple question: i read mail n°4,how to return to list of messages? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies
MB_STRCUT(3)								 1							      MB_STRCUT(3)

mb_strcut - Get part of string

SYNOPSIS
string mb_strcut (string $str, int $start, [int $length = NULL], [string $encoding = mb_internal_encoding()]) DESCRIPTION
mb_strcut(3) extracts a substring from a string similarly to mb_substr(3), but operates on bytes instead of characters. If the cut position happens to be between two bytes of a multi-byte character, the cut is performed starting from the first byte of that character. This is also the difference to the substr(3) function, which would simply cut the string between the bytes and thus result in a malformed byte sequence. PARAMETERS
o $str - The string being cut. o $start - Starting position in bytes. o $length - Length in bytes. If omitted or NULL is passed, extract all bytes to the end of the string. o $encoding -The $encoding parameter is the character encoding. If it is omitted, the internal character encoding value will be used. RETURN VALUES
mb_strcut(3) returns the portion of $str specified by the $start and $length parameters. SEE ALSO
mb_substr(3), mb_internal_encoding(3). PHP Documentation Group MB_STRCUT(3)