Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris vs Redhat
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris vs Redhat Post 302133705 by porter on Friday 24th of August 2007 07:53:50 PM
Old 08-24-2007
For what purpose?

Database, router, firewall, webserver, application server, desktop, development, cost, hardware?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 8 x86 or RedHat 7 for NSF server

I just got an older Dell Poweredge 2200 which I plan to use as an NFS/Samba server. It's a PII 333, 128 Mb RAM and has a 9 Gb SCSI disk. Which OS, RedHat 7 or Solaris 8 x86, will perform better, or is there a noticeable difference? I don't plan to run xdm or any unnecessary services. Would I be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux redhat and solaris NIS+

Hello all, I am wondering if anyone had success with installing a redhat linux (PC box) on a Solaris NIS+ network. I have gotten information on how to do this but have been unsuccessful. The information that I have gotten is a little out dated and is not 100%. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris or RedHat Linux

Dear All Experts, Would like to know the maturity/ stability of Redhat Linux AS 3.0 versus Solaris. My organization need to setup cluster solution. We are well-versed with Veritas Cluster on Solaris. We are thinking of waiting for certification support of the various ISV like Oracle,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: izy100
1 Replies

4. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Izy100's post on Redhat/Solaris

I was looking at Izy100's post on Redhat and Solaris. It was closed as a violation of the "No OS flamewars" rule. I agree 100% that we don't want to end up with Slashdot or OSNews style flamewars over which OS is best. However, this one seemed ok to me. He was asking a specific question... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhfrommn
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris to Redhat...

Hi all, Thanks in advance for any posts and for reading... ... ok I am trying to push out an install of a veritas client from a solaris box to a redhat box and its not working. The guide says make sure that the redhat box is in the .rhost file and the /etc/host file on the solaris box which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: B14speedfreak
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup to NFS mount Redhat-Solaris

Hi guys, I have a redhat laptop and a sun solaris 8 server networked together I created an nfs share on the sun server and backed up an image of the Redhat laptop to it. The Hard disk size of the laptop is 40Gb but I have about 38Gb free space on the sun server. So I compressed the image... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stin
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

RedHat, Solaris - what is uname command ??

Hi ! All I'm big fan of Unix/Linux . I want understand the basics of linux/unix version and How they are related to Vendor ... releases. uname -a will give the OS details. But can somebody provide me a pointer , to understand the very BASICS of these terminology like Million Thanks.!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

RedHat vs Solaris x86

Can some one give me few points as why we can choose RedHat Linux over Solaris x86 ? I want to give reasons to my upper management to start using RedHat Linux , currently we are 100% Solaris Shop (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Ldap redhat, Solaris

I got a ldap server using ldap sun one product. I need to connect and sync a redhat machine with it, any ideas on best way to do it? I edited the ldap.conf file in /etc/openldap/ but no joy yet :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: da2013
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Vormetric Data Encryption on Solaris Redhat

Does anyone have experience running the Vormetric Data Encryption on Oracle Solaris platform? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwevans
0 Replies
router.db(5)							File Formats Manual						      router.db(5)

NAME
router.db - rancid group configuration file DESCRIPTION
router.db contains information for devices which are members of a rancid group. control_rancid(1) reads this file to compile a list of devices which it should collect. SYNTAX
One device is listed per-line, where the syntax is: <device_name>:<device_type>:<state>[:comments] For example: scooby.shrubbery.net:cisco:up The fields are as follows: <device_name> The name of the device, which must resolve via gethostbyname, used as the argument to telnet(1), rsh(1), or ssh(1), to connect to the device. Once converted to lower-case, this also becomes the name of the file used to store the configuration under $BASEDIR/<group>/configs. Experience has shown that using the device's FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) works best, as in the example above. <device_type> The type of device from the set: agm A Cisco Anomaly Guard Module (aka Riverhead). Suspect that at some point the UI will become more cisco-like and it can be merged with the IOS rancid module. alteon An Alteon WebOS switches. arista An Arista Networks device. avocent An Avocent Cyclades console server. baynet A Bay Networks router. cat5 A Cisco catalyst series 5000 and 4000 switches (i.e.: running the catalyst OS, not IOS). cisco A Cisco router, PIX, or switch such as the 3500XL or 6000 running IOS (or IOS-like) OS, but not IOS-XR. cisco-nx A Cisco Nexus switch/router. cisco-xr A Cisco device running IOS-XR. css A Cisco content services switch. enterasys An enterasys NAS. This is currently an alias for the riverstone device type. erx A Juniper E-series edge router. extreme An Extreme switch. ezt3 An ADC-Kentrox EZ-T3 mux. f5 A F5 BigIP switch. force10 A Force10 router. fortigate A Fortinet firewall. foundry A Foundry router, switch, or router-switch. This includes HP Procurve switches that are OEMs of Foundry products, such as the HP9304M. hitachi A Hitachi router. hp A HP Procurve switch such as the 2524 or 4108 procurve switches. Also see the foundry type. juniper A Juniper router. mikrotik A Mikrotik router. mrtd A host running the (Merit) MRTd daemon. netscalar A Netscalar load balancer. netscreen A Netscreen firewall. procket A Procket router. redback A Redback router, NAS, etc. riverstone A Riverstone NAS or Cabletron (starting with version ~9.0.3) router. smc A SMC switch (some Dell OEMs). tnt A Lucent TNT. zebra Zebra routing software. <state> The state is either "up", or some other arbitrary value, e.g. "down". If the device is not marked "up" the device's configuration will not be collected. It is highly recommended that comments are made for any router not listed as up, so as to indicate the reason a router is not to be polled, e.g.: dial1.paris:cisco:up: core1.paris:cisco:down:in testing until 5/5/2001. core2.paris:cisco:ticketed:Ticket 6054234, 5/3/2001 border1.paris:juniper:up: The script "downreport" in util/ can be used to produce a report of routers in router.db that are not marked "up". [comments] Freeform string to describe the current state of the router. A ``#'' at the beginning of a line is a comment; the entire line is ignored. If a device is deleted from the router.db file, then rancid will clean up by removing the device's config file from $BASEDIR/<group>/configs. The device will be removed from the revision control system. It is possible, in most cases, to resurrect or check-out copies of deleted device configurations. FILES
$BASEDIR/<group>/router.db Configuration file described here, where <group> is a device group name defined in the variable LIST_OF_GROUPS within $BASEDIR/etc/rancid.conf. SEE ALSO
control_rancid(1), rancid(1), rancid.conf(5) 24 April 2011 router.db(5)